C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car And Driver - W204 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SS
Car And Driver - W204 Review

I won't even really bother to post the "lowlights" of the review. It's enough that I simply want to ask them to re-title the mag "BMW Driver."

-Oh, that might be because the issue is their review of the new M3 and 1 Series BMW, in which they do nothing but fawn over the cars. It's as if BMW can do no wrong.
They drove the new C63 AMG for the first time to. I was a shorter section of the magazine that their readers letters...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I hate most car publications they are such BS. It makes you wonder if companeis pay them off.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Stormin
I won't even really bother to post the "lowlights" of the review. It's enough that I simply want to ask them to re-title the mag "BMW Driver."

-Oh, that might be because the issue is their review of the new M3 and 1 Series BMW, in which they do nothing but fawn over the cars. It's as if BMW can do no wrong.
They drove the new C63 AMG for the first time to. I was a shorter section of the magazine that their readers letters...
I just got mine in the mail yesterday and it was perhaps the most favorable review of the M3 out of all the other mags so far.

While almost every mag has critcized the chassis and steering in some way, C/D just refer them as more grown up. It's so biased to the point of reading a BMW brochure.

As for the 1 series? I love their comment:

"BMW believes their 1-piston setup is sufficient in most of its M cars."

I believe it's all M cars, and people here, especially CH, has attested that it is FAR from adequate for aggressive driving, let alone doing track laps. Funny to see that the 1 has 6 piston up front, so it is geared towards a strictly performance oriented crowd. What C/D left out while other mags have quoted is the 1 series is based on the previous 3's chassis. It isn't completely brand new.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM

c300
And you guys couldn't possibly be MB biased in any way right?

That C&D review of the W204s been online for awhile ... I think ... either that or they purchased it from a freelancer that sold it to someone else too. I've read that review a couple of times now, but never pay attention to where.

Besides the brake issues ... hey, it's their reputation, so if they choose single piston, that's fine; both the M3 and C63 are 90% poseur cars anyway ... and before you get irate let me explain ... there's a 99.9% probability that at no point in their ownership are they going to be called upon to be used at even 70% of their capability. That's poseur to me. There are some people who will track them, but even then, they won't be skilled enough to extract potential.

I will give you that I think BMW does a lot to "buy-off" publications though. Some of the praise is warranty, and some isn't.

I didn't really think the review was all that bad. It didn't get a lot of attention, that's for sure, but I didn't think they put it down.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM

C32
Originally Posted by oblu
And you guys couldn't possibly be MB biased in any way right?
Welcome newbie! Last time I've checked this is MBWorld

Besides the brake issues ... hey, it's their reputation, so if they choose single piston
Choosing single piston means they are cutting costs and they are getting away with putting in sub par brakes. On a 325 it might make sense, but not on an M car.

that's fine; both the M3 and C63 are 90% poseur cars anyway ... and before you get irate let me explain ... there's a 99.9% probability that at no point in their ownership are they going to be called upon to be used at even 70% of their capability. That's poseur to me. There are some people who will track them, but even then, they won't be skilled enough to extract potential.
That depends on your 70% of a car's capability. So do you suggest that we all buy C230s? I mean, I can put 20s on them and roll around town like a true attention *****

Last edited by ultraseven; 08-02-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM

c300
Welcome newbie! Last time I've checked this is MBWorld
Thanks for the welcome ... but I'd hate to think that just because it's 'MBWorld' the people here can't be objective enough to find flaws in MB products.

Choosing single piston means they are cutting costs and they are getting away with putting in sub par brakes. On a 325 it might make sense, but not on an M car.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that, if they don't think the intended audience are hardcore track junkies (which, in my area, 99% of the e46 M3s running around are definitely aren't) then why would a single piston brake be subpar? If it can crank out the stopping distances, then it works. That's not to say it won't fade horribly on a track ... but if the intent is street, then multi-piston is overkill (but then so is 420hp right?) I don't deny they're trying to cut corners. I just don't think it's really that big a deal, and I wouldn't condemn the whole car based on that one item (look how puny the C350 brakes are) ... however the multipistons on the 135i? That's

BTW, I'm not a big fan of the new M3 ... the M cars have become bloated pigs with too many electronic doo-dads, just for the sake of doo-dads.