C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Another "review", but this time for a BMW 3 series owner. (got really long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Another "review", but this time for a BMW 3 series owner. (got really long, sorry)

So I've got a 2006 e90 (newest body style) 330i. For background, I've always had a 3 series or A4, never had a C class, and nobody in my family has ever owned an MB. I bought my present 3 series because I loved the increased backseat room over the e46 (previous gen) now that I've got a toddler and I loved how it drove compared to the competition (at the time, is350, W203 C Class, B7 A4). ... but I've never gotten along with the styling.

I love the looks of the W204 C. So what follows is the impression of the new car, from an un-jaded non-MB perspective. A lot of this is going to be little stuff; I'm weird about details.

Exterior:
Wow, they got this right. Usually on the newer higher-hoodline for EU pedestrian safety cars, the 3/4 view looks kind of bizarre. And in photos the 3/4 view of the W204 does have that pinched butt look because of the front end having so much visual weight. In person, from a standing perspective you get none of this. Only reason it doesn't score higher is that I feel the sport cars should sit another 15-20mm lower. Grill feels, and looks up close, a little cheap plasticy ... unfortunately a reoccurring theme. Didn't really get the chrome accent strip down at the kick panel on the doors either, and unfortunately it feels very cheap. But still 8.5/10, puts the current e90 styling to shame.

Handling:
Is this a MB? This isn't what I thought a stereotypical BENZ is supposed to feel like. Very controlled body motions. Having lived with a sport package 3 series for the past almost 2 yrs, I can say MB got the ride/handling balance a lot more correct than BMW. Ultimately, what sets the 3 series apart is the feeling that no matter what you were doing or what road conditions, you feel like you could bring it back from the brink without much trying. My 3 series feels lighter on it's feet, but it also has a lot more impact harshness. But to make up for it, the MB has it hands down in straight line stability ... which come on, 98% of the time that's how you're driving. Don't let them con you, with the 3 series the hallowed "steering feel" comes at the price of nervous high speed cruising. Corrections are constant.
9/10 in my book, but my point of view is moving away from outright cornering speed to a more relaxed style (see toddler).

Interior:
This is where I was really let down. Compared to BMW or Audi, the W204 interior feels very cost conscious. Which seems fine in the 300 until you realize that the Audi interior feels (not looks) wonderful for the same price in a 2.0T. Unfortunately I would think in a car costing what the 350 does, it would feel even more awkward. In my car, the door panels and the arm rests are leather. All I saw in the W204 was acres of plastic. Hard plastic. The interior reminded me a lot of the Tourag we test drove before buying a Q7; looks very modern, but as soon as you touch it everything feels cheap.
Where to start? The steering wheel is very thin and very hard. I'm used to thick and padded. The AC controls, the ring that spins wobbles around it's axis (I know that's hard to describe). The "aluminum" trim is most obviously NOT metal. Not like BMW uses real aluminum either, but it feels much more solid. Audi puts a texture into theirs that is very pleasing.
Now for the positive. Oh, I love those gauges. The shift lever is beautiful to the touch and in operation. The command knob feels much higher quality than the AC knob. MB-Tex .. I'm impressed, and would probably end up with this over leather (Toddler) unless leather is standard on a 350 (don't think it is). It's MUCH nicer than BMW's pleather, and about on the same scale as Audi's, but just a notch better. Aux controls like the turn signals, wipers, 11ty billion times better than BMW, and especially Audi ... this is where Audi really skips it. BMW's are "electronic" with this stupid ideology that to turn them OFF, you should press ON again. If you ever drive behind a BMW that's alternating left turn signal, right turn signal it's because the driver is having a hard time turning the signal off.
4.5/10 I didn't like that seat controls weren't on the doors. I'm, come on, that's MB signature. And no memory? Really, come on.

Power:
300 demo. I'm on the fence. Just got done driving a Audi 2.0T loaner, and compared to that it seemed about the same, but a lot nicer delivery. My complaint with the 2.0T motor is that it always sounds like rocks in a coffee can. Can't compare to a 328i. To my 330, it was missing that solid push when you were expecting it. The 300 power is adequate, and for most people it'll be all they will want ... I suspect most people will be more worried about pricing and electronic gizmos that the power, so if it's adequate and gets decent mileage they'll be happy enough.
If I buy, it has to be a 350. Everybody comparing a 350 to a 335i, and saying the 350 is down on power, remember a HEAVILY optioned 350 is still a couple of grand less than a LIGHTLY optioned 335. I went to look at 335s and was amazed at how big the price increase was from my 330 to a 335 ... I couldn't get one with the options I have for under 46k (list).
Something tells me, next year the 350 will have a different motor and the pricing will go up to match the 335.
N/A/10 No 350 demo, 300 wasn't pig slow, but it wasn't a ripper either.

Brakes:
They look TINY behind the AMG 18" wheels. But they FEEL better than the brakes in my 330 by a large margin. I don't know if they're overboosting them to make them feel powerful around town, I never really got to stomp them.

Overall:
7.5-8/10. If I were absolutely new to the market, my impression would be that the C is the most modern of the competition. A4 has the same looks, except for the snout, as it has since 2002. 3 series is looking bland and awkward. Lexus IS just now looks really weird to me, too bubbly, too high waisted.
They'll have a TON of cost/trend conscious badge buyers. But that interior is a let down. Having had no prior MB experience, and I haven't looked at other models, I don't know if that's a normal MB interior of if they really cut corners to keep the price down. Almost feels, dare I say, domestic.
Getting back in my 330 and driving away, I was struck by how similar, yet far apart, the two cars felt. Over the same bumps, my car bounced a lot more than the 300 did. But throttle response of my car was a lot more immediate.

Again it came back to that feeling like you were more a part of the car, than you were just driving it. It's cliche as hell.

But I have to give it to the W204 on exterior styling. This is most likely going to be my next car ... and very very soon if the numbers work and they get a car spec'd the way I want.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Another BMW owner here.

I drove the 300c yesterday and was very impressed with the looks, drive, and feel of the car. I note that when I drove the W203 last year, within two blocks, I knew that the car was not for me - the new one is a great improvement. The steering seems to have a bit less road feel than my BMWs, but, it was quite acceptable. Interior was MB Tex, so I will need to see the leather before I can make a final judgment.

Pros: Looks, feel and drive of the car. Seemed like great compromise between ride and handling - lots better than my sport package BMW 3 series even with the 18' tires. Real tires - no run flats for me - and room for a full-size spare (the car comes with a smaller wheel).

Cons: No memory seats - a deal breaker for me and my wife. The seat adjustment did not seem like it was going to be easy to get the seat in the proper position either. I didn't figure out the problem. A/C seemed weak compared to my 3 series BMW. Poor MB sales staff did not seem to know anything about the car - very interested in selling me a 2007 at below-invoice. The salesman told me memory seats were available (as near as I can tell - they are not) and that the car weighed 5000 lbs - even insisted when I told him it wasn't possible.

I'll wait until MB gets its act together and decides to provide memory seats before I seriously consider the car - will be looking to see the nicer leather interiors.

Jim
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Overall, I'd say really honest reviews from you BMW guys...lol! Very level and pretty accurate.

So far I think everyone wants memory seats, more power and some othe misc options that seems to be missing from U.S. spec cars.

M
Old 08-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by abqhudson
Another BMW owner here.

I drove the 300c yesterday
300C is a chrysler....

anyway, very objective reviews. nice to hear the BMW guys chiming in. BTW, when you test drove the W203 a year ago, was it a Sport Sedan?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
I own a 335i and just ordered a C350 Sport. They are very different cars to me. I like the styling of the 350 much more than my 335 - both exterior and interior. The 335 has much more power. The 350 handles as well. The steering in both cars in excellent. Brakes both feel good. Quality seems about the same for both - I am very particular in this regard. Both cars have wide panel gaps but they are straight and consistent. Both are very fine cars.

TEAShea
Old 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
C300 review by BMW driver

"when you test drove the W203 a year ago, was it a Sport Sedan?"

I really don't remember - a sedan with manual transmission is all I remember.