C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Saw My First W204 Today: Still On The Fence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Saw My First W204 Today: Still On The Fence

I stopped off at my dealership today and they had a 2008 C300 Sport sitting out front. Not for sale yet and no sticker or price, just for test drives. A sales guy came out and I quizzed him and it seems he didn't know schit about it. I don't know, I'm still on the fence whether or not I love or hate it. The 18" double spoke 225 and 255 rims/tires are nice. I am interested to see if they'll fit my '06. The new center star grille is also a nice touch. And the dual silencers and tips are my favorite feature. There is a single monster resonator where they split apart from the cat pipes now. But the overall body styling is nothing special and the interior I think is no better (maybe worse). It just doesn't look as aggressive as the '06 to '07 Sport models. I didn't drive it but I assume the handling is a better. No active suspension yet so that blows. I would REALLY like to play with the entertainment center: bluetooth, satellite, and MP3 storage unit. I really don't like where they put the NAV this time but I think the center console puck is a much better idea than the old head unit mounted joystick. So it is sort of a wash for me. I didn't see anything that made me want to trade up. If it had 300+ HP and adjustable suspension with wheel mounted paddle shifters and rev matching down shifts then I would be seriously looking at switching. But the same old engine and tranny, a little more weight, some electronic goodies, and a less inviting interior? I don't get it.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 08-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 PM

Same here.

I haven't seen the new beast in the flesh yet. In fairness I must reserve final judgement until then.
That said, from what I have seen, I am thus far completely unmoved. It isn't necessarily that I find it unattractive, just completely uninspiring. (But I'd say the same thing about the current W204 competitors---just not inspired by the designs of late).

Is it that the new C-Class just seems to look too much like everything else on the road, lacking the uniqueness factor of the outgoing W203 C-Class??

I give MB the benefit of the doubt in the engineering department because they've earned it. My guess is that even if the new C-Class is as uninspiring as it appears in pics, it will still sell very well because of the star, the engineering and the affordability. Great for MB.

But if I had to make a prediction, I'd say that the stylish W203 is going to be a sought after classic long after the world has mostly forgotten the W204.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by geisterfahrer
Is it that the new C-Class just seems to look too much like everything else on the road, lacking the uniqueness factor of the outgoing W203 C-Class??
But if I had to make a prediction, I'd say that the stylish W203 is going to be a sought after classic long after the world has mostly forgotten the W204.
after seeing them side by side (thread below), i personally feel the complete opposite to be true. next to the 204, the 203 looks tired and plain, the 204 looks so much more like a mercedes. the 203 is a nice looking car, but compared to what's coming out of other maker's factories today, it doesn't stand out at all any more. just my opinion of course!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/204095-my-car-now-looks-dated.html
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 AM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by geisterfahrer
... It isn't necessarily that I find it unattractive, just completely uninspiring. (But I'd say the same thing about the current W204 competitors---just not inspired by the designs of late)...
That's a good point. I look at the 335i or the G37 and I think they look like all the others out there. But then I read about the 335i's biturbo and 68 mph in the slalom or the G37's 1 degree rear steer, paddle shifters, and rev matching tranny and I get a lot more inspired. I'd be Ok with the W204 look if they upped the anti in the fun factor. It's the combination of being just OK styling and same-old same-old fun to drive factor that has me sniffing around for a used RS4.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
after seeing them side by side (thread below), i personally feel the complete opposite to be true. next to the 204, the 203 looks tired and plain, the 204 looks so much more like a mercedes. the 203 is a nice looking car, but compared to what's coming out of other maker's factories today, it doesn't stand out at all any more. just my opinion of course!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204095
That is an interesting comparison. But it's a Lux vs. a Sport, if the W203 was a Sport and had the spoiler and premium wheel options like the W204 it might be a little more interesting (apples-to-apples). Add the star grille to the W203 and I still think it looks sexier, more aggressive.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 08-02-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by ZedStyle

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204095
I agree. There is no way in hell the W203 (or any other mass produced Mercedes below the SL/CL) will ever by a sought after classic. The W204 is miles ahead of the W203 in nearly every way. The W203 wasn't worthy of the Benz name until its facelift, and even then it wasn't the solidly built car the W202 was or the new W204 is.

M
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Great Comparison Photos

Ultimately this all just depends on personal tastes. I happen to still prefer the classic styling of many older Benz models over the present ones in terms of style.

Here are some really nice side-by-side comparison pics of the W203 vs. the W204:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=1#post2350459

Engineering aside, the W203 just looks so much classier. It's easy to get fatigued when it comes to car models, especially when our culture continuously pushes the "latest and greatest" (which usually turns out to be too late and not so great).

Two other considerations: It's my understanding that far more testing/development of this car was done via computers than any other Benz. And I have heard that the U.S. will now see the importation of many new C-Class produced in South Africa. Are these pluses or minuses?? Time will tell.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Update

Update: Finally saw the beast in the flesh today (W204 Sport Version)

A Few Initial Personal Impressions:

Average looking midsized luxury sedan. It appears significantly bulkier than the W203. Yes, the Chrysler Sebring and the Cadillac CTS immediately came to mind due to the size, the sharp angles and the crease running down the side. Could be pluses or a minuses depending on your needs/tastes.

The interior is just not even worth commenting on.

Not convinced it's completely fair to compare the W204 to the outgoing W203, but in terms of distinctiveness of style and perfection of size as a "sport-luxury", can't imagine choosing a W204 over a W203 if both of them are sitting on the same lot.