C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Hood Protection Invisible Plastic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
err

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Arctic White, 2013 Infiniti JX35
Hood Protection Invisible Plastic

You know those white clear invisible stuffs they put on the front of your hood and bumper to prevent rock chips and stuffs.

Do you think this would be worth it on the new W204? How much does this normally sells for? Would you rather have the dealer / pro install this?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Paint protection film

<<Do you think this would be worth it on the new W204? How much does this normally sells for? Would you rather have the dealer / pro install this?>>

Of course it's worth it unless you are leasing and don't give a damn. It's going to cost about $700 and should be installed by an experienced person. Your dealer would be no better than you doing it. It takes experience to avoid stretch marks and wrinkles.

Yes, I am going to have it done to my new car.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 PM

c300
I regret not doing it on my current car (black) because it's been absolutely sand blasted by the road construction around here. And my car is only 18mo old.

We did it on my wife's new Q7, and it's very visible up close. But it passes the 5' rule, and I like that I don't have to worry about rock chips for awhile. It's already got a divet in the film that would've been a monster chip.

Might be a little expensive right now, because they're probably going to need to custom cut. I doubt the film maker has a kit shaped for the w204 yet.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
After going to the dealer and getting some touch-up for the first knick on the lower chin spoiler of our new C300 from the freeway, I kick myself for not getting the “Clear-Bra” treatment, I felt $800 was ridiculous for the kit installed. At anyrate your not going to want it on a black car or white. A black car will show a tan dust line and the material looks yellowish and shows dirt around the seems on a white car. It seems to blend the best on Red, Silver, Grey, Blue, Tan, Beige, Yellow.

-Ryan
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 PM
err

2008 C350 Arctic White, 2013 Infiniti JX35
I am getting a white car
at any rate, I am going to ask for a quote from my dealer. Hopefully these thing already exist so that it won't cost as much.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Paint protection

<<At any rate you're not going to want it on a black car or white. A black car will show a tan dust line and the material looks yellowish and shows dirt around the seems on a white car.>>

Ooo, do I beg to differ. My Obsidian Black C320 has had the stuff on it's nose since new (4/01) and it hasn't yellowed at all. And what I have is not what's being used today which has a lot less orange peel. My bumper is completely protected and unless you get right down and run your finger over the edge, you cannot see it. Same with the mirrors.

And, the cost of installation is substantially less than a hood repaint.

But, when polishing or claying the paint, you must stay away from the edge of the film because if you get anything under the edge, it's there forever.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
A clear bra is definately a good investment.
Here in Colorado rock chips are a common problem.

I had one on mine for almost 7 years, it will get dull and slightly yellow (not very noticable) over time but some polish and a Porter Cable buffer will get a lot of that out. As for clay bar'ing near the clear bra edge, just clay bar in the same direction of the seam and that prevents any of the clay from getting caught in the seam. With getting polish, wax or clay in the seam I'd just run my fingernail covered with a fine microfiber cloth across the edge which will pick up all that residue.
I had the dealership do the front 12" of my hood and quarter panels, as well as the door handle scoopes done for about $250 (and did the headlight shields, a much thicker 3M material, myself for $45) and the next time I would definately spend the extra money to get the bumper done as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by RLE
<<At any rate you're not going to want it on a black car or white. A black car will show a tan dust line and the material looks yellowish and shows dirt around the seems on a white car.>>

Ooo, do I beg to differ. My Obsidian Black C320 has had the stuff on it's nose since new (4/01) and it hasn't yellowed at all. And what I have is not what's being used today which has a lot less orange peel. My bumper is completely protected and unless you get right down and run your finger over the edge, you cannot see it. Same with the mirrors.

And, the cost of installation is substantially less than a hood repaint.

But, when polishing or claying the paint, you must stay away from the edge of the film because if you get anything under the edge, it's there forever.
The yellowness won't be visible on a black car, but the dust lines at the seams will. I will have to take a picture of one of my customers black '07 S600 next time I'm at his place, car looks beautiful even when it's clean, but instead of the clear bra blending in like it would on a silver car, it's sticks out like a sore thumb on his black S 600 where the dirt & dust settle in all the jambs. Hard for me to explain.

-Ryan
Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Originally Posted by RLE
My Obsidian Black C320 has had the stuff on it's nose since new (4/01) and it hasn't yellowed at all. .

My Obsidian Black C hasn't yellowed at all too, But it is really hard to keep it clean. next car will not be Black
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rock chip film

<<It's going to cost about $700 and should be installed by an experienced person. >>

I dropped by the shop today which will be applying the film for a price quote. $699 for the "kit" which includes the bumper, hood, mirrors, door edges and door handle pockets. I qualify for a 10% Porsche club discount so the total with tax will be $685.

I will skip the door handle pockets and door edges.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
Maybe skip the door edges but GET THE HANDLE POCKETS!

Here's why, keys, people with longer fingernails, just about anything will scratch that paint to bits. I got the Chrome door handle inserts instead for this very reason, but definitely get some sort of protection. (being that this is the main place people touch on a car)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM

I recommend the trunk lip and jamb, people often forget and rest or slide things on that little shelf making it look terrible in short order.

-Ryan