C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New car purchase decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car purchase decision

Hello all:
I have been lurking around here for the last few weeks and have enjoyed the excitement shared by all the new w204 ownershttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I am currently deciding between two cars and am looking for some insight from this community. My choices are between the following:

2008 Lexus IS250 RWD
X-package (sport suspension, bi-xenons with AFS, moon roof, 18 inch wheels,etc)
Leather seats
6-speed automatic/paddles

vs

2008 C300 RWD
premium package
sport package
7G-tronic
black bird's eye maple

The Lexus to me has the advantage of more technology (i.e. keyless go standard) and reliability. However, the C300 has more power/torque, and better handling, but with as of yet unproven reliability. I know that exterior design is completely subjective but I find the C300's design more appealing. Here in Canada the two cars are likely to be within $2000.00 of each other (with the Mercedes being more expensive).

I realize this is a MB forum so I am aware that the replies may be biased but thank you in advance to all who may respondhttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,

fungwun
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM

c300
Really need a backseat? As in, do you have children with forward facing child seats and/or normal sized passengers (normal being 5'8" or sorry, Canada, uh ... I suck at teh metrics )?

If so the IS is out. And if it isn't then just get a two seater or a coupe and don't saddle yourself with a 4 door this early in life.

I almost bought an IS350 when they first hit; that was until we tried to fit anything in the back seat. That was a deal killer for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Yeah, the back seat of the IS is very small
Old 09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Lexus is a great car, but the Mercedes Benz stands out further than the Lexus. Get the C-Class
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
When the IS came out I was very pleased by the styling. It came out as a 2006 model and I thought it looked very modern, however...

The back end of that car looks very poor in my opinion. After the new camry came out, (which seems to be everywhere in the USA) the looks echoed the once pleasing IS and so now it looks like a dressed up Camry with some extra goodies inside.

That being said, the Mercedes looks the best by a long shot (3er...G37, IS,TL included) The interior is very well put together, the back seat is...a back seat, and its the best all around car in its class. Plus, nothing looks like it on the road except the $86,000 version called the S class. So if you want comfort, the best handling/looks/prestiege in the class (dispite 3er's handling) then get the Mercedes. As I have *still waiting for delivery*

Go test them out! Tell us what you think
Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

the IS is a nice car but the way i see it, once the market becomes saturated with a new model redesign, that is, once there's a lot of examples of either car on the road, i think the IS sort of blends into the background but with a mercedes... a mercedes still stands out from the crowd. i kinda feel that way with the 4 door bmw 3 series as well, i duno, maybe i'm biased towards merc, but hey, that's why i'm on this forum!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 PM

2006 Boxster
I just purchased an IS350 after I considering and driving the C Class. But, I got the Lexus for $36.4k during the Lexus "Event" and for that price, there is just no comparison in power or quality of interior compared to the C Class.

The IS350 is FAST. And the interior fit and finish is beautiful, especially in comparison to the C Class with the all Tex interior. The feeling and quality of the interior of the C Class doesn't match the Lexus. Sit in the back seat and press the interior light switch of the Mercedes. I did, and the entire roof panel raised up like cardboard.

And Lexus will even pick up my car at my home for service appointments and leave me a loaner car at my doorstep. Not needed much, but nice to know.I took the car down to Palm Springs last weekend. It was 115 and the A/C and ventilated seats were fantastic. I love those seats! The touches are nice.

There are tons of reasons to like the Mercedes I do like like the styling of the Mercedes better, but it won't be that long before they are common, like most everything else in the price category. And the back seat is bigger. But I don't carry people around often so that wasn't that important for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 PM

c300
I somewhat agree. I was comparing the IS350 to the e90 BMW 330i when I was shopping. I could get more power, more options, cheaper, in the Lexus than I could in the BMW. But it didn't handle as well. Fine, I can deal with that.

But I wasn't impressed with the interior finish quality on the Lexus. The silver center stack doesn't even pretend to be anything but silver/gray plastic. The buttons don't feel good. And the seats are too barka lounger for a sports sedan. But the W204 interior isn't that hot either. Steering wheel feels like a 1968 VW Beetle wheel, all hard and skinny. Door panels are hard and plasticy. Buttons feel hollow to the touch. Interior door handles are chintsy.

But it's a sedan.

The real deal killer is that complete lack of any back seat. I just don't get why people buy a 4 door that has a completely useless back seat. Buy a coupe ... buy a 2 seater. Why buy a boring old 4 door if you don't have to?

Last edited by oblu; 09-07-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Thanx all for the replies so far. Many of you echo the same thoughts that I have in regards to both cars. I agree that the rear end of the IS is by far the worst angle to view the car at and the rear seating room is somewhat claustrophobia inducing. However, with that being said, to my eye the IS interior is a step or possibly two above the new w204's interior. It does appear that in order for MB to get the new C-class to market at $41,000 CAD they had to cut some corners on the interior appointments. I agree that Lexus makes a great and compelling package but the C-class offers a more solid presence (although I am not one to buy a car just to impress my contemporaries).

Oblu: In terms of buying a 2-seater, I would love to buy a proper coupe 2-seater but this will be my daily driver so the practicality of 4 doors is important to me. Maybe sometime far down the road I will be able to get my dream 2-seater sports car (911 C4Shttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
)

Right now my main concerns are whether I can accept the interior quality and unproven reliability of the C300 as I have always been one who abides by the rule of avoiding first year model runs.

Thanks again for your feedback, you have all given me much food for thoughthttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,

fungwun
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 PM

Hi all, I forgot to ask you fine folks what you all think of the MB-tex (read: leatherette) interior. The Lexus has real leather and I am afraid that I will regret not getting leather on the MB. The C300's I am given to choose from are all coming in with the leatherette and unfortunately, due to my time restraints, I am not able to custom order. My fear is what BMW drivers call the "sweaty back syndrome" associated with their leatherette seating surfaces. Anyone here experience the same with MB leatherette?

Cheers,

fungwun
Old 09-07-2007, 10:45 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
It IS a very convincing leather...however my own mind can't justify what for me will be a $50k car with plastic seats. So I got leather, but it holds up better (according to dealer and other forums) but you don't get the smell...personal preference really.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I also considered the Luxus IS, but I wanted AWD and only the IS250 was available with this option and that engine was pretty uninspiring especially compared to the engine of the C300.
If AWD wasn't a must for me, I would highly consider the IS350.

I love the aggressive looks of the IS and the very intuitive easy to use touch screen nav system and the quality and reliability is top notch. I've heard the rear view camera option is a must as visibility towards the rear and hunched-back trunk makes parking difficult. Another complaint I have is the reddish stained wood trim (there's no aluminum or black stained wood trim available) which spoils the sporty look of the interior -- I like the redwood wood trim 10 or 15 years ago, but I think it looks tired now and is overused on many Lexus models (I love to see the light blonde birds eye maple on the SC430 used on other models).

As for the leatherette, I've heard from many that the MB-Tex is the best (dare I say) vinyl in the industry and will not crack and dry out like real leather and is easier to clean and requires less maintainence. MB-Tex is very concvincing and almost everyone will not know it's not leather unless you point it out. I think MB-Tex is much nicer than some real leather I've seen on lesser cars out there.
With MB-Tex you will lose the leather smell that most of us love.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 AM

Hello all:
Aowhaus, I agree with you that the smell of real leather cannot be duplicated by vinyl (or Artico Leather as per MB marketing) and is hard to justify on a 52K CAD luxury car, not to mention lack of Keyless Go as standard equipment. I enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology and thus believe that a keyless go or equivalent feature should be standard fare on any car with luxury pretenses. Unfortunately, if I choose any of the C300's the dealer has coming in I will not be privy to the keyless go whereas smartkey access is standard on the Lexus.

In terms of the wood trim in the IS, here in Canada, aluminum trim is standard for the IS250 with X-package. For what it's worth, the aluminum trim in both the IS and C-class are not the greatest and will likely scratch easily so we can call this aspect a draw.

Well, thank you to all you ladies(?) and gentlemen again for your late night comments. Bonne nuit toute

Regards,

fungwun
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
I've been considering either the IS or C-Class (for the wifey). So we went for a testdrive this past weekend.

Of course, just like the OP, we're looking at either an IS250 or C300 Sport... but in AWD. As far as the IS is concerned, we thought that the satnav was particularly intuitive and a better display vs. the C. The backup camera is top notch. The interior definitely felt cozy, but not too small. The outside looks aggressive. Bad points? Well, the steering feel was way too light for my tastes (I mean... waaaay too light), and the power on the IS250AWD was absolutely embarrassing. I didn't feel too connected to the car when I drove it, and the high shoulderline actually annoyed me (although it looks awesome). The dealbreaker... no fold-down rear seats. We want to actually be able to have more practicality than my other car.

Now the C300. Interior fit and finish is brilliant. Visibility is very commendable. Interior is more spacious than the IS, although the exterior dimensions are almost identical. This car just looks meaner IMHO. Performance for a car with 228hp is above my expectations. Steering feel is more realistic and connected. Overall, I like it better. And the gripes? It's too bad it doesn't have a rear backup camera. Cost & reliability may definitely be an issue... we are into more-is-more and not less-is-more.

I hope to learn a lot more about the W204 before we take the plunge, although the Mrs. already considers it a winner.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 AM

2006 Boxster
In regards to a comparison of the IS350 to the 330i, I agree that the BMW is the sportier. I owned a 2006. I love BMW's and have owned several. But, the 330i with the sports package, at where I'm at now, was just too harsh in everyday driving. It handled like a dream, but you feel every every bump in the road. You may hear people say it's "supple" for what you get in handling. Not really....it's just plain punishing sometimes. And on freeway journeys, particularly in Southern California, I arrived worn out rather than refreshed.

In the real life driving I do, the BMW was fun, but uncomfortable. The sports seats are hard, and yes, the side supports hold you tightly....even when you feel like moving around. It was worse for passengers.

Mercedes is much better, I think, for the driving most people do. I just found the Lexus, at the price I got it for, better for what I need and like.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM

Rick Hunter,
Thanks for bringing up some more good constructive points pertaining to the IS. I have heard on the Lexus boards that indeed the rearview is not too accommodating and that you must be careful when backing up.

Unlike you and your wife, I am not entirely sold on the C-class having a better interior but as with appearance, this is completely subjective. I, like you, believe in the more-is-more mantra and hence this is why I am seriously considering the lexus product.

As for the power issue, I agree that the IS250 does not have quite enough to satisfy the drag racers in many of us but it is more than adequate for city daily driving duties. It is my understanding that the 250 engine as it is paired with the AWD is slower than the RWD configuration so that may explain why your testdrive felt so lackluster (or maybe it is because you are used to your motorsporthttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
)

P.S. maybe I should change my login name to Max Sterlinghttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Cheers all
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Good morning all:
I just got back from the Lexus and MB dealerships where I was comparing the interior and rear seating room back to back. My feelings remain the same as before in that the Lexus interior to me is indeed very luxurious and everything seems soft to the touch. The rear view is definitely going to be a problem as the view out is tiny. The rear leg room behind the driver is minimal and anyone over 5'8 will certainly be somewhat uncomfortable.

The MB has a bigger rear view (although not tremendously so) and the interior room is much improved (less claustrophobic). However, the hard grainy plastics on the dash, steering wheel and everywhere else really do not impress me on a car at this price point. The steering wheel (on this demo with sport pack) was seemingly quite thin rimmed and the middle portion had fairly large gaps between seams. And the MB-tex vinyl did lack the opulent leather smell in the Lexus.

At this point I am still torn on which car to purchase but I must admit that to my eye the C-class is very handsome and the aggressive front view has tremendous presence. I guess it comes down to acceptance of the interior for me.

Thank you for your ears and feel free to continue forwarding your thoughts to me.

Cheers all,

fungwun
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by fungwun
Hello all:
I have been lurking around here for the last few weeks and have enjoyed the excitement shared by all the new w204 ownershttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I am currently deciding between two cars and am looking for some insight from this community. My choices are between the following:

2008 Lexus IS250 RWD
X-package (sport suspension, bi-xenons with AFS, moon roof, 18 inch wheels,etc)
Leather seats
6-speed automatic/paddles

vs

2008 C300 RWD
premium package
sport package
7G-tronic
black bird's eye maple

The Lexus to me has the advantage of more technology (i.e. keyless go standard) and reliability. However, the C300 has more power/torque, and better handling, but with as of yet unproven reliability. I know that exterior design is completely subjective but I find the C300's design more appealing. Here in Canada the two cars are likely to be within $2000.00 of each other (with the Mercedes being more expensive).

I realize this is a MB forum so I am aware that the replies may be biased but thank you in advance to all who may respondhttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,

fungwun
Hello everybody. Here in Europe people know well Mercedes for its high quality products, and it´s always been the first choice in the luxury cars market. I would have no doubt, I would buy the new C class. I´m waiting for one indeed!

Bye!

Last edited by Merbenz; 09-08-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:45 AM

2006 Boxster
And in the US I think that some people buy the brand only for status because it has a Mercedes label rather than comparing the car objectively.

I think as years have gone by, other manufacturers have definitely caught up and passed Mercedes lower priced models in many ways.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:57 PM

BMW
If you consider A and B-class, it´s true that other manufacturers have good alternatives in the market (not better) but with better price-quality relation.

Considering C class and upper, although some manufacturers have improved so much in the last years, here we know that Mercedes is the clear reference in confort and quality; nobody doubt it and all test drives agree. Another question is, how much are you arranged to pay for it? It´s expensive, of course, but good things are expensive.

Anyway, if someone buy Mercedes just for status is their problem.

Japanese makers put inside the car a lot of electronics and technology, but about driving and dynamics (and that´s what a car is, it is not a TV or a mobile phone), let free way to german engineers and designers. And I´m not german!

And in this case, even in the technology side Mercedes is better; the Mercedes GPS system (Command with Linguatronic) is more advanced than the Lexus one (at least in the European version).

Fungwun, if you can, drive both models and compare by yourself. It´s the best way to know which one is the best choice for you.

Bye!

Last edited by Merbenz; 09-09-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I had a similar dilemma. I went to C Drive event and Taste of Lexus to narrow my decision. I was always biased towards Benz. So nothing changed. I certainly won't pick IS. It is too small for me. I do not like its interior either. GS is better, however it is different class. Regarding technologies, I agree with previous posters that MB has more advanced technologies. Actually keyless go was invented by MB. For some reason US version of C has no keyless go, when versions for other countries have it as an option. Definitely I won't buy C in this year, although I really like it, right size, very comfortable, quiet, a lot of tech features. So I'd recommend you to hold on on decision, or wait for Infiniti G37.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally Posted by RandyG
And in the US I think that some people buy the brand only for status because it has a Mercedes label rather than comparing the car objectively.

I think as years have gone by, other manufacturers have definitely caught up and passed Mercedes lower priced models in many ways.
Not only in US, people buy Benz for status in many countries. Benz is a symbol of prestige and success in many European and Asian countries. I bought Benz just for status and I really do not regret about that. I think Benz got a symbol of status because it was really good car. I have no any other explanations.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Good day all:
Well, I have done some more thinking and research and am at a point where I will probably pass on the C300. I think that the "Advanced Agility Package" will be worth the wait along with any new engines MB has up there sleeves. I still do enjoy the exterior design and improved handling dynamics of this new C-class but will have to remain an outside admirer. I will most definitely revisit the C-class in a few years when the C63 amg surfaces or if finances allow, the even more potent E63 amg (looked dead sexy in the showroom)!

Thank you all who have contributed to this thread for your professional and unbiased feedback.

Regards,

Fungwun
Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Great Fungwan, I'm glad for you, do you mind posting what you do get when you get it?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Peyton:
Thank you for your support. It is looking like the IS250 will be my car for the next little while as it has now arrived in Vancouver (west coast port) and will likely arrive at dealership before September end. Who knows, if MB comes to market with more powerful engines within the next 2 years, I may trade in the Lexus then. Otherwise, I may look at the Lexus IS-F, C63 amg or 5series/Eclass when the time arises. In the end, I am glad to own any of these fine automobiles. Take care and enjoy your C-classes in good health.

Cheers,

fungwun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New car purchase decision