C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

The interior looks cheap, sorry.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 4Matic Steel Gray
I went to the C-drive in NJ yesterday to see if the C interior was better in feel than in aesthetics. I will give that the interior is not visually appealing, but every button, switch, and surface is sturdy and feels high quality. All doors and bins have a certain heaviness to them and don't open or close flimsily. Also, the turn-signal stalk locks like a normal car, unlike bmw's electronic one that bounces back. It may seem petty, but that is a switch we all use 10s maybe 100's of times a day, and i dont want to have to look down at the gauges every time to see if it engaged(or disengaged).

The new Comand system is really easy to use and someone can figure it out within minutes of getting into the car. The voice recognition is excellent and i really like how there is no need for a sea of buttons like other cars. Ive driven an i-drive equipped BMW in the past, quite possibly the worst interface i have ever seen. It became so frustrating to just change the radio that i left the car on the oldies station it was set at.

The cars are perfectly fine performance-wise. The engines are smooth, and powerful. This hp war is really just for bragging rights, we really dont use or need this much power. bmw fans may not agree with me but at least Autocar uk editors do
Old 09-16-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dalazernet
I do have to say that I absolutely love the interior of my (interior-style revised) 2006 C280....The wood trim accented by the metal strips with the gorgeous "flowing wood" style of the center console is just to die for. After seeing just pictures, I have to say the new C is very "bleah" and reminds me of the center console styling of a VW or something.

That being said, I'll reserve my full feelings for the interior until I get back from the C-drive at 1:30... Lets see how it actually feels/looks. As a warning, I'll be reviewing very honestly regarding space, functionality, etc as I'm seriously contemplating the new model...

Here's hoping the quality is better, else I agree that Honda Accords have VERY nice quality inside as compared.

- Eric
I agree, the interior on the post-facelift C-Classes that we both have are beautiful. I agree with kunz post that everything feels substantial, it just looks less beautiful than the previous model imo. I hate to think that we will have to wait until the midlife facelift of the W204 to get something as nice as what we currently have.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2002 G500, 2007 CLS 550, 2018 GLC 300
I was excited about the C350 until I saw the interior.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pmb600
I agree, the interior on the post-facelift C-Classes that we both have are beautiful. I agree with kunz post that everything feels substantial, it just looks less beautiful than the previous model imo. I hate to think that we will have to wait until the midlife facelift of the W204 to get something as nice as what we currently have.
Adding onto the original post, etc... Yes we may have to wait until the facelifted model to get the interior nice-ities up a notch (so to speak)...

Just got back from the C-drive event and I spent a good 25-30 minutes playing music from my ipod, trying out bluetooth cell phone calls, etc...

Overall, the harmon kardon system sounds better than my C280's... and the Mercedes i-Drive (or rather i-dont-drive, since you're too busy figuring it out to drive the car...) is quite good once you get the hang of it... Things feel sturdy, etc.

That being said, honestly - the ashtray bin is a bit smaller (I only know this because I cram A LOT of junk in that little area in my car) I call it my little hidden crap bin. The center console makes up for it however... lots of space in there... which brings me to my next comment. What on earth are they doing with that center console trim!? Its a solid piece of plastic all the way til the wood starts... At least in the W203, we have nice soft touch surfaces with gorgeous flowing wood trim all the way up to the dashboard top... *sigh*...

Also, I've pushed and poked at the soft touch door surfaces which don't seem to be as soft as the W203 - but the armrests certainly are cushier in this new model. I also like the fact you can leave the pop up screen closed when listening to the music...

I test drove the luxury model and the sport model on the closed course... Interestingly enough, the sport handled like my luxo C280, and the luxo model felt like a boat going through those turns. Interesting I thought.

Overall - I'll stick with my car for now, and perhaps hop on a facelifted C300 luxo 4matic down the road. In the mean time, I wonder how that bluetooth kit is coming for my car... Gotta love having M.O.S.T....

- Eric
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for W204 Facelift
Originally Posted by dalazernet

Overall - I'll stick with my car for now, and perhaps hop on a facelifted C300 luxo 4matic down the road. ....

- Eric

+1

Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by foreyes
I was excited about the C350 until I saw the interior.
Me too. When I was closing on our GL450 deal, I saw some c350's ready for delivery. I loved how it looked with the sport wheels and CL like front. I told my salesperson that we could end up with two mercedes so we went for a test drive. After the first few seconds of liking the overall feel and setup, it was that huge swath of black plastic starting from my immediate left that was the let down. I thought that it was just because it was the sport model and that the the luxury model would look richer. I agree with other comments comparing it to BMW's use of modern design to mask cost cutting. I wish they at least used a different texture on the upper or lower part of the dash. These pics from the interior of the amg model illustrates the sea of blandness on the passenger side.

http://www.motivemagazine.com/galler...20AMG/Interior

Last edited by 85mm; 09-16-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by 85mm
Me too. When I was closing on our GL450 deal, I saw some c350's ready for delivery. I loved how it looked with the sport wheels and CL like front. I told my salesperson that we could end up with two mercedes so we went for a test drive. After the first few seconds of liking the overall feel and setup, it was that huge swath of black plastic starting from my immediate left that was the let down. I thought that it was just because it was the sport model and that the the luxury model would look richer. I agree with other comments comparing it to BMW's use of modern design to mask cost cutting. I wish they at least used a different texture on the upper or lower part of the dash. These pics from the interior of the amg model illustrates the sea of blandness on the passenger side.

http://www.motivemagazine.com/galler...20AMG/Interior
I feel like an extra piece of wood/aluminum trim in one of the places where I drew the red lines would help increase the appeal of the interior.

Last edited by pmb600; 09-16-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 4Matic Steel Gray
[QUOTE=pmb600;2413293]I feel like an extra piece of wood/aluminum trim in one of the places where I drew the red lines would help increase the appeal of the interior.

I agree with you...i would also like another piece of trim to the left of the vent. I much prefer the tan interior of the luxury to the black of the sport models. At least you get a contrast of Khaki, tan, and black. I also think the wood steering wheel would go well with this interior.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:36 PM

2018 C43 4matic
I feel like an extra piece of wood/aluminum trim in one of the places where I drew the red lines would help increase the appeal of the interior.

That looks hot - I ordered my C300 with Black Bird's Eye maple instead of aluminum! Even hotter
Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM

2006 Boxster
The tan interior is gross.

The black interior is from the C63 with sport seats, steering wheel, and door mounted seat controls that we don't see in the US, yet.

Why is the interior so CHEAP? It once was an excuse that engineering dollars went elsewhere, but that just isn't the case these days, take a look at the marketplace.

I hope the upcoming E Class doesn't disappoint the same way the C Class has.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:36 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Not another black interior

<< it was that huge swath of black plastic starting from my immediate left that was the let down. >>

http://www.motivemagazine.com/galler...20AMG/Interior[/QUOTE]

And yet your link is to the C63 which is more elaborate (not to mention the additional cost) than the C350 with different seats and steering wheel, among other things
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Joey_G_1975
That looks hot - I ordered my C300 with Black Bird's Eye maple instead of aluminum! Even hotter
You must live in Canada because Black Bird's Eye Maple is not an option on US C300s. That picture is the C63 AMG btw.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
[QUOTE=kunz;2413365]

I agree with you...i would also like another piece of trim to the left of the vent. I much prefer the tan interior of the luxury to the black of the sport models. At least you get a contrast of Khaki, tan, and black. I also think the wood steering wheel would go well with this interior.

I love the way the interior looks in that pic, but I feel like in person, the upper tan part is too muddy looking or something. Also the grain on all of the plastics just makes everything look cheap.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 AM

GL450
Let me elaborate on my initial impression. When I first sat down, everthing felt great and I noticed that it even had real cup holders unlike the 335i. Steering wheel and instrument panel looked good. But once I'm settled in, I look across to the left half of the cabin. It's all black pastic with a little aluminum trim. I than go to touch the plastic hoping it would atleast be fairly soft. My old e46 330i, I would say had nice well textured and soft plastic. Some GM rental cars I would say have some hard poorly textured plastic which really show at the edges. The new c-class has medium hardness and ok texture. I than look at the door than feel it, same feel and texture. It also has hard edges which only enhances the lower quality of the plastic.

Also, I stated that the pics are from the amg model, which only highlights how cheap the new class interior is. The $60k+ c63 could atleast have the mbtex with stitching on the dash like the GL450.

Here's a couple pics from my old 330i. It may be all plastic but it was softer to the touch. The plastic was broken up and the joints were rounded off. There were few straight edges the make faux leather texture look cheap.

http://bigsmiles.smugmug.com/photos/128921417-M.jpg
http://bigsmiles.smugmug.com/photos/128921209-M.jpg
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Almost a Member!

05 m3 , 96 camry
Originally Posted by Spoonie
Good post. I agree that the C350 looks better than the 335, but only externally IMO. The interior of the E90 w/nav is much better than the standard car. And I would actually prefer that interior over the C’s. I’ve had my car for quite some time now and was really looking for a step up in performance. Even though I don’t speed, it is nice having that extra power for passing or merging situations. You simply have more options available when you have more power. The C350’s power is adequate, but I wanted a little more than just adequate this time. I also don’t agree with your price assessment.

Given the choice I would choose the 335 over the C350 in a heartbeat:

I like the interior (w/nav) of the 335 better.

The 335 completely destroys the C350 in every acceleration measure. It isn’t even close. All that extra performance while getting better MPG than the C350.

When it comes down to it, I want a car that at least has something about it that makes it special. I’m afraid that the C3XX doesn’t have anything that makes them special IMO. The C brings up the rear in performance tests against the competition, and is a mid-pack performer as well (at best). It’s tempting to go to the other makes just to see what the excitement is about. The C’s looks are nice but not really a knock-out IMO.

Think about it, what does the C offer that makes it shine above the competition? Or makes it special? The C seems like a car that doesn't everything well, but not one thing extremely well. In that case there are tons of cars that can provide that. There aren’t too many cars that can provide what the 335 has to offer. That’s what makes the 335 special and the C not so special IMO.
from a fellow bmw owner, buy a m3 or c63 get over it!!
if you don't like it DONT BUY it! you sound like my wife GEEZ
Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by S420merc
Spoon here is the Deal u own a 330i which is the same as i do i have a E46 330Ci and though i had some problems i love the car. Here is the problem with BMW in my opinion. the E92 styling sucks *** in my opinion and the interior is not much different then the C350 in quality. Yes you can get a 335i and pay about 51k which is about 7-8k more then the C350 Sport. I live in NY we have ****ty roads and tons of cops and traffic so why do i need a car that does 0-60 in 4.8 sec. The C350 Sport 0-60 of 5.8 is fine for me it keeps me in the same perfomance range as my current E46 330Ci coupe and for the same money. I buy the car for looks and a C350 in my opinion looks tons better then the E90 BMW if BMW still made the E46 330Ci i would buy another but since they dont sorry the E90 is not for me. IF i wanted all out performance i would buy a Vette.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Peyton
Just ignore this person who doesn't seem to understand common decency and spends way too much time trying to rain on Merc customer's parade. What a lifeless individual.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RandyG
Regarding the comment of public stigma regarding a BMW or Volvo. I'm not exactly certain what stigma they create. But you've opened the door wide up for how Mercedes is marketing the new C Class. It's on the name Mercedes". I saw the new commercial on TV today and it ends with "because we wanted to build a Mercedes". Then you see the $31k price shown.

Mercedes casts a bigger stigma in my mind than either of those other two brands mentioned. The ornament alone creates a stigma. And when I think of the C Class, I see a lot of people buying them hoping to tap into that stigma It's pretentious, and people will buy for that reason, even if it has an ugly interior.

A C Class is a Mercedes. But you don't get the real goods until you're ready to pay for an E or S class.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We were both wrong. You said that; "When the current 3 series came out in 2006 it had the old 325 and 330 engine. It wasn't until the 2007 MY that they updated the engines." Which was wrong.

I said that MB never made a "C" class that had a more powerful engine than the competing 3. Which was also wrong.

So we're even.
"even"? are you a child girl?? tit for tat in a forum? grow up... shouldn't you be busy spooning someone like your "cool" name implies and not be wasting people's time here?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here we go again.

Two questions:

1) Am I not allowed to defend myself here?

2) Or am I supposed to accept completely wrong information without correcting the person?
banned
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by rb23lb
"even"? are you a child girl?? tit for tat in a forum? grow up... shouldn't you be busy spooning someone like your "cool" name implies and not be wasting people's time here?
Why can't you stick to the subject of cars?

Tit for tat? it takes two.

Last edited by Spoonie; 09-18-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by rb23lb
banned
Why? Seems like you are incapable of answering a simple question. Answer the questions please

Last edited by Spoonie; 09-18-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by RandyG
The tan interior is gross.

The black interior is from the C63 with sport seats, steering wheel, and door mounted seat controls that we don't see in the US, yet.

Why is the interior so CHEAP? It once was an excuse that engineering dollars went elsewhere, but that just isn't the case these days, take a look at the marketplace.

I hope the upcoming E Class doesn't disappoint the same way the C Class has.

+1000

Look rb23lb! I'm not alone.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM

BMW 330i
Originally Posted by Peyton
Just ignore this person who doesn't seem to understand common decency and spends way too much time trying to rain on Merc customer's parade. What a lifeless individual.
Common decency? Can you explain to me where I'm being indecent? Rain on your parade? It’s only a car dude, pointing out what is bad about it doesn’t make that person indecent. Are you for real? I’m not sure why some folks here take this crap so personally. Seems like some folks here are the ones that need to grow up. People here respond to negative comments about the “C” class as if their wives were being insulted. Stop being so darn sensitive and insecure, this isn’t high school.

Last edited by Spoonie; 09-18-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM

2006 Boxster
It's amazing how a car can reinforce a weak ego and create self worth when one's own mind and flesh isn't able to.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The interior looks cheap, sorry.