C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

The interior looks cheap, sorry.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330i
The interior looks cheap, sorry.

I just went to my local MB dealer and sat inside a black C300 with the beige interior. The quality of plastics looked cheap and the whole interior looked to be low-rent. I’d say that the previous 2 generations C-Classes had a richer looking interior. Seems like MB is taking the BMW route with cost cutting interiors. The new C-Class’s interior doesn’t even look to have the same quality as a Honda Accord imo. I’m sorry, I tried to like the “C” but the carryover engines and cheap looking interior will keep me away from it like the plague. sorry, Nice try MB but you missed the mark IMO.

Last edited by Spoonie; 09-11-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
No way in hell the previous C-Class had better interior materials. Get past the look and actually look at how well the new car is built and actually feel around the new C, it is worlds better than the previous model.

M
Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by Spoonie
I’m sorry, I tried to like the “C” but the carryover engines and cheap looking interior will keep me away from it like the plague. sorry, Nice try MB but you missed the mark IMO.
Your engine argument is moot. The 3.0 liter did not exist in any W203. Your BMW E46 chassis had carryover engines. The 1999 and 2000 323i and328i. Yo, you are and
Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I think the new C class is an experiment to figure out if putting MB badge on Honda Civic makes people think and fill that they driving Mercedes. BMW got already lead in luxury cars selling segment. So the experiment seems to be not successful. People re smart and value cars, not badges. I hope MB will stop experimenting and new W212 will be a great car. At least I have two cars in my next yer shopping list: E class (W212) and Jaguar XF. I'd recommend to check XZF out, really good, rich interior.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dema
I think the new C class is an experiment to figure out if putting MB badge on Honda Civic makes people think and fill that they driving Mercedes. BMW got already lead in luxury cars selling segment. So the experiment seems to be not successful. People re smart and value cars, not badges. I hope MB will stop experimenting and new W212 will be a great car. At least I have two cars in my next yer shopping list: E class (W212) and Jaguar XF. I'd recommend to check XZF out, really good, rich interior.

and what category if any does Jaguar lead in? Actually I already know the answer - NONE!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
No reason to argue with Mercedes fanboy, sorry. No answer from me.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM

C300 4Matic P1 18" rims
I own a E46 330Ci and the reason i bought the C350 over the new 335i is the interior and exterior styling i dont think the C350 has a bad interior for its price point. For 43k u get much more then u get in a BMW 3 series. If you option out the 3 with the same options as the C350 i ordered u are looking at paying 5-7k more. And the XF Jag is not even close to the same price points as a C350. The XF is going to run 49k base or more.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by S420merc
I own a E46 330Ci and the reason i bought the C350 over the new 335i is the interior and exterior styling i dont think the C350 has a bad interior for its price point. For 43k u get much more then u get in a BMW 3 series. If you option out the 3 with the same options as the C350 i ordered u are looking at paying 5-7k more. And the XF Jag is not even close to the same price points as a C350. The XF is going to run 49k base or more.
I looked at the 335 and went with the 350 for most of the same reasons. Sure the Bimmer has more power, but I don't race everyone to work in the morning. I like the interior of the 350 just fine, especially the Birdseye Maple Wood. While I would prefer the beige color that is avaible only in the 300 Lux, the Grey/Black interior that I've got coming looks just fine.

The only interior that I personally don't care for is the aluminum trim in the 300 Sport. But, many seem to like it...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

red bicycle
I was impressed by the new C interior. It's by no means outwardly luxurious or plush, but it's functional and has that solid feeling of older Benzes. That's fine by me. Maybe some people view that as cheap, when everything isn't slathered in wood, leather and chrome. To each his own.

All the US engines are carryover - the 3.0L W203 was badged the C280.

Last edited by whatup?; 09-11-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Generally C class doesn't compete with XF or E class. I simple wanted to say that new C class was so desired and was so disappointing. I do not see big innovations as from drivetrain side as from interior/exterior feature. So I can't wait 5 more years when MB will redesign C class again and finally fix all lacks. So I'm looking for new E class or new S type (named as XF). Take a look at XF interior.

It is questionable, and some people may not like it,. but it is certainly inovative. And I was expecting something like that from MB. Again, I am not MB hater, I am a lover, so I'd like to see Mercedes as the best car. So my critique has purpose to improve design of Mercedes.

Last edited by Dema; 09-11-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Fair enough. I like the looks of that Jag, but to be fair it really should be compared to the MB E Class. As you say, you will look at E Class for the MB feel that you are searching for. I'm sure there are people on the E Class boards now discussing how that car doesn't "feel" like an MB because it doesn't have the opulance of the S Class.

That's just the way it is....the C is the entry MB and it should cause those MB lovers to aspire to the E and S. I think this new interior does that.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM

c300
I've stated many times that I've got an e90 and I'm looking to get a C. And while I find the e90 exterior and interior to be ugly beyond compare, I don't know how anybody can sit in both back to back and say the e90 interior feels cheaper.

Here's the short list of things that really struck me:
1. Interior door handles on the C feel like very light, which might be confused for chintsy (which I think they are) but worse the backs are carved out. Nothing worse than a hollow handle to make something feel cheap.

2. Door panel plastic feels flimsy.

3. Steering wheel is very hard and thin. This one, to me, is what conveys the cheap feel the most. If they'd just given it some padding, I think most everything else could be forgiven. Conversely, BMW uses this tactic to hide a lot of it's cost cutting. A driver spends 99.9% of their time holding the wheel. If that feels "expensive" they won't notice cheapness elsewhere as much.

4. Low rent power seat controls ... without memory!

5. Old fashioned (screams cost cutting) swing arm trunk hinges instead of a compound folding hinge.

What I think really lets it down, is the contrast between good and bad. Instead of all materials being on an equal footing, you've got some that feel excellent and some that feel bargain basement. The shifter. Oh I love that shifter, it feels so nicely weighted. Gauges are wonderous, but they're surrounded by a cheap looking dash which flows into cheap looking door panels.

I get the feeling that everything done on the car was done to maximize profits in the way american manufacturers do (possibly learned from Chrysler?). And I think that once there are plenty on the lots, and the general public learns more about the car, that history will bare out the new C to be one of the best selling, highest profit making, MBs to date. While everybody else is going swoopy with "flame surfacing" the new C is proudly angular ... and there's a lot of guys like me who like angular. I'll admit it, I'm buying the new C solely based on looks.

Also, while I'm going on and on, keep in mind that while two of the 'big german 3' (BMW 3 series, Audi A4) are getting more and more expensive, the new C can be had around 40k with decent options. Things will get even better once dealers move a little on pricing. BMW's got some awesome MF's going that make the 3 extremely attractive right now to lease, but other than that a mildly optioned 335 is solidly 45 even after whittling the price down. Seeing the content that they plan to put in the A4, I can't imagine that's going to be much cheaper.

Anyway, that's my non-biased take on the interior.

PS. I think you'll see a lot of the same cost cutting measures in the new E redesign too.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Moot moot

<<Your engine argument is moot. The 3.0 liter did not exist in any W203.>>

Sorry. The outgoing C280 used the 3.0 V-6, the very same one that's in the C300.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 PM

3 C's and a SLK

It use to be when you bought a C you got a baby Benz not something with a sprayed on dash. My SLK cost a little over 50K and the paint came off the door handles at 30K miles. Now with 135K on a 2003 C it's time for a replacement and it won't be something with the cheapest dash in town just because it's a Benz. I know what I can buy for the same money.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 PM

C300 4Matic P1 18" rims
MY 2004 e46 330Ci has 34k on it and the cupholders are peeeling and the door trim and stalks are peeling too. I have had the car in for service about 8 times in 3 1/2 years. So build quality on BMW is not that great either.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
The W204's interior is definately not luxurious, but it is well made and is more sporty than it is plush. I test drove the 328xi and thought the interior is about the same in terms of quality and fit and finish as the C300 sport, however the dash and instrumentation of the 3-series is rather bland and not as stylish and interesting the W204.

I always thought Mercedes' interiors looked fairly cheap in the past, particularly the CLK and previous generation S-class, pretty inexcuseable for a car costing that much. However the new S- and CL-class looks stunning and particularly the entry C-class' more modern interior impressed me especially when priced in the $30,000's.

Please remember that the W204 is also designed and built to last too.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
Dema:

I am very tired of you acting so 'high and mighty' acting like you know a lot about cars when you say "Generally C class doesn't compete with XF or E class."

This makes absolutely no sense. No the C class doesn't compete with the E class. You then say you do not fight with MB fanboys but hmm you're on a MERCEDES BENZ SITE! Talking to owners or potential owners of the very car you are snubbing your nose to!

Please do us all a favor and leave this portion of the forum if you're going to continue this nonsense.

Jaguars are washed up. Looks little better on the outside than the Ford Mondeo.

You really need to think a little more...I'm not going to go into a bar and tell people how they shouldn't be alcoholics, don't come in here and tell us what is wrong about the car we enjoy, using idiotic expressions to get your nonsensical point across.

Yes the ENTRY level mercedes isn't as luxorious as some cars...thank you.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM

c300
Please remember that the W204 is also designed and built to last too.
Is that supportable by facts or just a gut feeling? Examining the car, and knowing owners of previous W203s, I didn't get the impression it was designed or built any better or worse than any other car.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Well with all this here say on comparing the W204 to this & that… I had to pick my mom up from the airport today and drove my W204 to her house and then drove her ’05 Acura TL with just over 22K miles there. I recall when she picked up the TL I gawked at how awesome, stunning and menacing the car looked from just a design element alone. The nose striking at any angle, the brawny shoulders that made up the front fenders. Albeit smallish for it’s segment, Acura choose to shod this TL with a brilliant set of perfectly symmetrical five spoke alloys. A few other features that blew me away, std blue tooth, memory seats, voice activated NAV, Entertainment & HAVC etc.. And then there was the handling, steering had a remarkably on center feel, giving concise feedback and overall feel. The Front wheel drive felt transparent in all but the most spirited of driving scenarios. Only the overall quality, somewhat tight cabin, low seating position and build materials irritated me. I still found moms TL a bargain and excellent value in it’s segment.

I noticed that the TL felt a bit more torquey than m C300 off the line, but didn’t have as linear of available power through it’s range. When pushed to the limits, I still found my C300 more hunkered down, and precise through some of my areas most challenging on-ramps / off ramps. I also found the once praised and adored seating of the TL too soft and too low, and the chair like seating in the C more supple and firm, where the TL was more supportive but not necessarily better. I actually felt that my C was a tighter package overall, while my mothers low mileage and babied ’05 TL squeaked and rattled over some of the same bumps I wouldn’t hear anything out of the C. One thing for sure is I get looks from almost every motorist on the road driving my C-Class, it gives a very accomplished feeling. The TL is a very nice car, but feels like just another above average Japanese sedan. I personally think the best comparison and most closest rival to the W204 is not the E90, but the new Cadillac CTS.

-Ryan
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM

2006 Boxster
I hope your car got looks, it's been on the market for what, 3 weeks? I certainly hope you got more looks than a 3 year old Acura.

I was initially blown away by the 2008 C Class, because it was a BENZ and I was "star" struck. After the initial drive, which was fine, but not great, I relaxed and just started to compare cars and prices, letting go of labels. I've bought starter Benz's twice before simply because of the Brand, and then let them go after reality set in and the label/hood ornament wore off.

I do like the C Class styling (except the back). But, the interior is very cheap and plasticy. It just is, no question about it. I think I dealt with "partial tex" ok because there was still some leather smell. But now, yuck. And the dash, console, and much of the interior is mostly hard ugly looking plastic.

The engine power is adequate, but only when you mash the pedal to the floor.

Mercedes has positioned the car down market to attract buyers.

I don't think the Brand of a car matters as much as it use to, except if one is hung up completely on status. Things have evened out over the years. I leased a Lexus IS350 after waiting for the C Class. So far, I'm very happy with my choice.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 AM

c300
I personally think the best comparison and most closest rival to the W204 is not the E90, but the new Cadillac CTS
Yup, that's about the best observation I've read here yet.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 AM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
I think brand matters more than ever now in this image obsessed culture
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by oblu
4. Low rent power seat controls ... without memory!

5. Old fashioned (screams cost cutting) swing arm trunk hinges instead of a compound folding hinge.
I agree that I would like to see the traditional Mercedes seat controls on the door, but the standard power seats and controls on the W204 are on par with what other manufactuers use.

I also thought that the swing arm trunk hinges looked cheap over the other kind, but even the S-Class uses this. Also after having had cars with both types, these swing type are better because the trunk swings wide open. The other kind just pops the trunk and then you have to lift it yourself.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Spoonie
I just went to my local MB dealer and sat inside a black C300 with the beige interior. The quality of plastics looked cheap and the whole interior looked to be low-rent. I’d say that the previous 2 generations C-Classes had a richer looking interior. Seems like MB is taking the BMW route with cost cutting interiors. The new C-Class’s interior doesn’t even look to have the same quality as a Honda Accord imo. I’m sorry, I tried to like the “C” but the carryover engines and cheap looking interior will keep me away from it like the plague. sorry, Nice try MB but you missed the mark IMO.
stupid fanboy go drive your ugly bimmer and get out these forums... you wish your styling looked half as good as benzo C styling
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
<<Your engine argument is moot. The 3.0 liter did not exist in any W203.>>

Sorry. The outgoing C280 used the 3.0 V-6, the very same one that's in the C300.
thanks for the update. I hate that MBZ called the the outgoing W203 C280 and C230 instead of C300 and C250.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The interior looks cheap, sorry.