C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I remember my wipers making a lot of noise when I first got the car and I can't help but believe that it had something to do with either the car soap they're using or maybe even a liquid wax.

For the first several month of car ownership, I continued using a car wash. Then I went to hand washing the car myself using aTurtle Wax product that I had from many years ago. When that ran out, I picked up another car shampoo and conditioner product (McGuires Gold Class) and particularly noticed that the noise stopped (and smelled good ).

In any case, the noise eventually went away but would have happened sooner if I had stayed out of the commercial car washes and used McGuires sooner.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C280 Avantgarde
I have exactly the same problem. I forgot to list it my earlier post on issues with C280 (C300 for the US market). My car was brand new when I first noticed the wipers shuddering.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM

C350 4matic Obsidian Black
So whats the optimum solution? Waited it out until it breaks in (if that is really the case) or go to my dealership and had it replace. I can not stand the skipping... Oh btw, sound is not the matter, its what cause the sound which would be the skipping.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM

I would recommend not to use Rain-X since they wreck wiper blades over time causing you to replace them more frequently because it will streak alot. This also goes for silicone windshield wipers since they leave a film on your windshield.

In previous cars, I've had great experience with Bosch MicroEdge wipers but if I remember correctly, they do not have them for our cars yet.

Other than that, I've had no problems with my w204's stock wipers since they work very well. It rains alot here and I've been using these wipers more than usual and at the 11 month mark, I've had no streaks yet.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Heh.

I had this problem yesterday. I started out on a leg of my commute and the wipers were skipping merrily across the windshield. Jumping erratically, making noise, generally being bad. Dang.

So, rainwater didn't seem to quiet them down. Now, it's been a few months since it's really rained, and the current weather is just a drizzle, so it's not a real hard rain. Skip, skip, skipping across the glass. Annoying.

What to do? Hmm. I pressed the stalk in toward the column, and a whole bunch of white colored soap came racing out onto the windshield. It covered the whole thing and the wipers ran rampantly and rapidly across. Cool.

Hey! They quit skipping. They settled down into a nice orderly pattern that actually was both quiet and very efficient.

So, next time your wipers start skipping, try CLEANING the WINDSHIELD!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I agree. I clean my windshield daily, and knock on wood, my wipers seem to be ok thus far.

I highly recommend Meguiar's glass cleaners.