Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
MB tex more durable and comfortable than Leather in w204? >

MB tex more durable and comfortable than Leather in w204?

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB tex more durable and comfortable than Leather in w204?

 
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rb23lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
MB tex more durable and comfortable than Leather in w204?

ya i know it doesn't have the leather smell, but dealer told me the seats were firmer and would stay in shape longer and that it would not crack or fade nearly as easy as leather would....

so based of this, since I dont care for the smell of leather as much as I do the new car smell which is good enough for me, I dont feel too bad...

the 3 people that have been in my car since i picked it up yesterday all were suprised when I told them it was not leather, and said If i didnt tell them they would bever know...

i think most people just expect benzs are leather and the mb-tex does a great job as an imposter who non-benz drivers will NEVER recognize, at least from my experiences so far... but yes, if leather was free i would prefer it over MB-tex just for the fact I could say I have real leather...
rb23lb is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
I sat in a SFA W204 on the showroom floor, it had "real" leather, I honestly could not tell a difference from the MB-Tex in my car, neither interior appeared more comfortable than the other. Only noticeable difference was the SFA did not have the perforations which I think add to the sportiness of the "Sport" anyway. Also many of the Benz's from the 1980's had vinyl seats, looked like leather but it wasn't. Most of those interiors still look new today.

-Ryan
CarGuru is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chilledbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 1,828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I agree with the comment about people not being able to tell the difference between the leather and the mb tex. Only crazy car nuts like myself would probably be able to tell, only real give aways are as mentioned above the mb tex has the perferations in the center sections of the seats, and the leather package has the stitching in the door inserts. I've always been happy with the mb tex and only ran into a problem with it cracking on an 00 ML, but they happily replaced both front seat cussions at no cost under warranty.
chilledbenz is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
G.Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth West Australia
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY13 C63 P30, K&N filters, V6 tune, secondary cats deleted.
Ohhhhh leather it has that feel about it, just kidding, it comes standard in the Avantgarde here in Aus so I had no choice, in saying that I'm happy with leather knowing all to well that I have to look after it with leather conditioner etc.

A friend of mine who has owned several MB with MB-Tex said that MB-Tex was harder wearing, easier to maintain, didn't crack over time and was also very hard to pick that it wasn't leather, and would not hesitate to get MB-Tex again, the only problem is that he also has just purchased an C 200k Avantgarde which comes with leather.
G.Man is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,408
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once had a car with MB tex, and I can remember several people saying how the interior felt like plastic. I eventually put sheepskin seat covers on because I hated sitting on what really is plastic. It is not by any means a substitute.

Needless to say, it was the first and last car with MB Tex for me.
Untertürkheim is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Kieffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport, 2007 ML320 CDI
To me, this new MBTex seems nothing like the old, plastic-looking stuff. I agree that some of their older, man-made leather looked nothing like leather. But this new stuff seems to be an entirely different "animal" (bad joke). When I sat in the SFA edition, it was the first time I had been in a C-class with leather. The leather seemed very hard. It didn't have that soft feel at all. I'm glad I ordered the Tex.
Kieffer is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,104
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
I was in several W203's with MB-Tex prior to even becoming interested in buying an MB and didn't know that it wasn't leather. That's why when my dealer asked me about leather in the car I said "Of course". Then he explained and showed me what MB-Tex really is and I immediately decided I didn't need to spend the extra $1500 for the leather.

Is leather nicer? Yes. But you do have to take care of it and I know that I won't. Add that to kiddo's on the way and the durability of the MB-Tex won me over...especially when I consider the fact that I had sat in MB-Tex cars previously and had assumed it was leather.

To me, the only reason to get leather in this car is just because you have to have it in there as you couldn't imagine spending $40K plus for a car without leather. For me...I'll get much more enjoyment out of the MM then leather seats.
MBTex is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rb23lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by CarGuru View Post
I sat in a SFA W204 on the showroom floor, it had "real" leather, I honestly could not tell a difference from the MB-Tex in my car, neither interior appeared more comfortable than the other. Only noticeable difference was the SFA did not have the perforations which I think add to the sportiness of the "Sport" anyway. Also many of the Benz's from the 1980's had vinyl seats, looked like leather but it wasn't. Most of those interiors still look new today.

-Ryan
+1
rb23lb is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
  #9  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Infiniti EX35, (order canceled) 2008 C300|Steel Grey|P1|MM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
I was in several W203's with MB-Tex prior to even becoming interested in buying an MB and didn't know that it wasn't leather. That's why when my dealer asked me about leather in the car I said "Of course". Then he explained and showed me what MB-Tex really is and I immediately decided I didn't need to spend the extra $1500 for the leather.

Is leather nicer? Yes. But you do have to take care of it and I know that I won't. Add that to kiddo's on the way and the durability of the MB-Tex won me over...especially when I consider the fact that I had sat in MB-Tex cars previously and had assumed it was leather.

To me, the only reason to get leather in this car is just because you have to have it in there as you couldn't imagine spending $40K plus for a car without leather. For me...I'll get much more enjoyment out of the MM then leather seats.
this is exactly what I think about mb tex +1+1
thaihula is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Chaz00Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C-350 Palladium Silver and MM.
Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
I was in several W203's with MB-Tex prior to even becoming interested in buying an MB and didn't know that it wasn't leather. That's why when my dealer asked me about leather in the car I said "Of course". Then he explained and showed me what MB-Tex really is and I immediately decided I didn't need to spend the extra $1500 for the leather.

Is leather nicer? Yes. But you do have to take care of it and I know that I won't. Add that to kiddo's on the way and the durability of the MB-Tex won me over...especially when I consider the fact that I had sat in MB-Tex cars previously and had assumed it was leather.

To me, the only reason to get leather in this car is just because you have to have it in there as you couldn't imagine spending $40K plus for a car without leather. For me...I'll get much more enjoyment out of the MM then leather seats.
Add another +1 for me.
Chaz00Blue is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
peabers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 811
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
To me, the only reason to get leather in this car is just because you have to have it in there as you couldn't imagine spending $40K plus for a car without leather. For me...I'll get much more enjoyment out of the MM then leather seats.
I agree with your point... I have tried to avoid leather seats in my cars when I can. It's not forgiving to the Canadian winters, and I think the interior of my 4 year old TL looks older than it really is. My friends were surprised that the IS300 even came in cloth (it was so grippy).

This time around, I chose MBTEX because I have a kid... I hate the thought of the carseat stretching out the leather.
peabers is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
My wife still hasn't figured out my car is vinyl ... she noticed the material isn't the same quality as the upgraded leather in her Q7 (which is suffering color transfer from her designer dark jeans btw). Based on her previous comment about the car not having memory seats, she won't be that understanding.
oblu is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I feel that MBTex is unsurpased for wear and tear. Why do you think that most German Taxis, which are mostly Diesel Models have MBTex? The interior looks great after 20 years. Easy to clean.

Leather is leather and very luxurious. Can't beat a luxury car with fine leather interior.

Jorg
Jorg is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
peabers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 811
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Leather is leather and very luxurious. Can't beat a luxury car with fine leather interior.
If I did not need to put in a Child Seat, and only kept my car for two years... i.e., a perfect world. I would consider leather. But I don't live in my dream world.
peabers is offline  
Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by oblu View Post
My wife still hasn't figured out my car is vinyl ... she noticed the material isn't the same quality as the upgraded leather in her Q7 (which is suffering color transfer from her designer dark jeans btw). Based on her previous comment about the car not having memory seats, she won't be that understanding.

We have reef interior, I have to wipe down the driver seat weekly to keep the transfer down from blue jeans. I think the light gray is the best color choice for the 204, but I warn you all in advance, you will clean it frequently.

-Ryan
CarGuru is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
rb23lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by CarGuru View Post
We have reef interior, I have to wipe down the driver seat weekly to keep the transfer down from blue jeans. I think the light gray is the best color choice for the 204, but I warn you all in advance, you will clean it frequently.

-Ryan
exactly why i got black, hate dealing with jean transfer and smudges
rb23lb is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB tex more durable and comfortable than Leather in w204?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: