C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Not sold on the tail lights...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Originally Posted by peabers

I guess we'll see you on Fourtitude.com then.

Ummm... don't just a car by its taillights. Not sure if you have driven the W204 yet. To be honest, the car was not even on my list when I first started shopping. It was the E90 vs. IS vs. G vs. B7 (Preference was in that order, descending). But I dropped into the dealership to see a friend, went for a drive on the C350 and I was sold... needless to say that was an expensive visit.

Besides, the only people looking at the tailing are the losers whom you have just somked.
I don't buy japanese cars. they all look the same (if not ugly, then classless) and lack perceived luxury. BMWs are butt ugly imo. the taillights are an esstential part of the design of any car.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
Originally Posted by CPanda
I don't buy japanese cars. they all look the same (if not ugly, then classless) and lack perceived luxury.
I used to kinda that way too, and is a large part why I bought the merc (that, and the infiniti g35x was too long for my garage - 3 inches too long). But now that I own a merc, I realize I'm probably just an a** that bought into the 3 pointed star. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy like a pig in slop, but no longer think others lack luxury they just lack a certain 3 pointed star. This has been an eye opener where the Merc just doesn't match what others offer (except maybe looks) in terms of "luxury" and the buying experience was the worst of the subaru (Legacy spec.B), audi (A42.0tQ), infiniti (g35x), lexus (IS250awd) brands. Not just one dealer, but 3 merc dealers. Of course, it may only be buyer's remorse. Well, time will only tell when in a year or two I feel that I made a mistake since could've gotten more for less, or whether it was worth it in the end.
Happy driving.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 G35x
I partly agree with the post title...I didn't like the tail lights when i saw the pics......but I also have do admit, they look better in person.

To me it is not the rear view i hate, it is the side view...the rear light's design makes the trunk look like it is drooping...reminds me of the old infiniti J30

BUT that front end is to die for....and makes it worth living with a droopy butt :-)
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
I don't buy japanese cars. they all look the same (if not ugly, then classless) and lack perceived luxury. BMWs are butt ugly imo. the taillights are an esstential part of the design of any car.
Soo..... you have said that the W204 is crossed off your list, the BMW is ugly, and Japanese cars are not good enough for you. I'd say you should go for the CTS then.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 PM

None
Soo..... you have said that the W204 is crossed off your list, the BMW is ugly, and Japanese cars are not good enough for you. I'd say you should go for the CTS then.
right.. my choices are MB cadillac and audi pretty much. I do love the chrysler 300 design as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 PM

right.. my choices are MB cadillac and audi pretty much. I do love the chrysler 300 design as well.
In my opinion, the CTS has a really nice looking frontend. Very aggressive looking. I really liked the 300C when it first came out, but is getting a little long in the tooth, in my opinion.

Interestingly, neither car has a good looking rear-end.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM

None
In my opinion, the CTS has a really nice looking frontend. Very aggressive looking. I really liked the 300C when it first came out, but is getting a little long in the tooth, in my opinion.

Interestingly, neither car has a good looking rear-end.
I love the CTS taillights, and the 300's atleast doesn't look like a camry.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM

2008 c300 luxury, P2, MM, Capri Blue Metallic
please tell me someone is or is not going to buy a car based on how the taillights look
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by wase4711
please tell me someone is or is not going to buy a car based on how the taillights look
Why not. Looks matter doesn't it? I see it often nowadays and still not sold on the tail lights.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM

2008 c300 luxury, P2, MM, Capri Blue Metallic
well, I could see if you hated something you saw all the time, like the dashboard, the radio display, the steering wheel, or whatever..but, how often do you see/look at your taillights??
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Originally Posted by KA8
Why not. Looks matter doesn't it? I see it often nowadays and still not sold on the tail lights.
They do, but look at the front of the new c class... nuf said lol
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy one.

And even then, you can always choose death.

It's a personal choice, if the guy does not like the taillights... that's his opinion. I asked that he give it a fair chance and have a look in person, but I am not going try to convince him otherwise.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 PM

None
Nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy one.

And even then, you can always choose death.

It's a personal choice, if the guy does not like the taillights... that's his opinion. I asked that he give it a fair chance and have a look in person, but I am not going try to convince him otherwise.
If you read all the posts in this thread, I *have* seen it in person already. It didn't have the LED strip in the middle though. Perhaps with that and chrome modded, it might be tolerable. All I ask of the back, if it's not going to be sexy like the Caddy's, atleast *don't* look like a Camry please!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
If you read all the posts in this thread, I *have* seen it in person already. It didn't have the LED strip in the middle though. Perhaps with that and chrome modded, it might be tolerable. All I ask of the back, if it's not going to be sexy like the Caddy's, atleast *don't* look like a Camry please!
I agree the tail lights look like the old camry's.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Lights

<<It's a personal choice, if the guy does not like the taillights... that's his opinion. I asked that he give it a fair chance and have a look in person, but I am not going try to convince him otherwise>>

Since I've written the check and the C300 is in the garage, I can say that I wish the rear lights were a bit different, perhaps a bit squarer (is that a word?) but the red paint does tone down their curved appearance a bit.

The 18" wheels do help to improve the rear 3/4 view since the tires are so wide but the trade-off is the harsher noisier ride than on the 17s.

But when I drive it and when I think how improved it is over my W203, all is forgiven. Well, almost all.

1200 miles now and still no malfunctions. Unbelievable.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM

None
You know when it comes down to it, I will probably end up getting this benz after all. I may not want to wait for the B8 A4, and the Caddy is ... no MB unfortunately. (The lack of signaling lights on the side mirrors are annoyingly absent, even on the 2008 model).

That leaves pretty much no room for choices! I suppose I will chrome up the taillights, makes sure to get the P2 (LED strip), add a small spoiler, and debadge (clean up) and hopefully it'll look distinctive enough.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Can always chrome them to change them up a bit.

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...20Light%20Trim
I do like the looks of the chrome trim pieces. One concern that I have is that it seems that I remember something said about the slots in the original taillamp lenses being there to facilitate some kind of air movement. If so, I wonder if the crome trim pieces blocks that air movement.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by JimPap
I do like the looks of the chrome trim pieces. One concern that I have is that it seems that I remember something said about the slots in the original taillamp lenses being there to facilitate some kind of air movement. If so, I wonder if the crome trim pieces blocks that air movement.
If you click the picture and see the large version, the air slots are still there. Although I'm sure they would hamper any air flow to the actual vents underneath. No one has really explained what the vents do, why they are good, or if they help anything. Probably yet another one of those "key points" they tell their salesmen to talk up, but really doesn't serve a purpose.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
If you click the picture and see the large version, the air slots are still there. Although I'm sure they would hamper any air flow to the actual vents underneath. No one has really explained what the vents do, why they are good, or if they help anything. Probably yet another one of those "key points" they tell their salesmen to talk up, but really doesn't serve a purpose.

The air is sucked up from under the car and then to the bumper and released through the airvents and the way it comes out creates tidier air dynamics and hence reduce the lift.