C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Watching DVD's with car moving!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C220CDI W204
I have been following this thread with interest and will also like to be able to enable video in motion.

From what I understand, with previous MB models, the restriction could be removed with a software hack (reprogramming the COMAND module).

With the W204, owners are currently installing an aftermarket fix. Is this the only way? Or is it possible that a hack for the system will be found in the near future?

Finally, does anyone know of an aftermarket installer who can enable the VIM and install a rear view camera in Australia, specifically the Gold Coast?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM

'08C300 White w P2,MM,Pano
This may be a redundat question for most but in my car the dvd video cuts out the second you take the car out of park. but in the cnet.com review, the guy moved to car aliitle and the dvd was still playin then i think it shut off at 5mph.

does everyones dvd cut out when the move out of Park?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 AM

'
Installed my VIM from midcity engineering this weekend and it works great. Only problem I've come across is my navigation doesnt work anymore even when I turn the VIM off. Gonna call them today to see why that is. Besides that, install was very simple. Rob at Midcity walked me through most of the install over the phone.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Originally Posted by mbenz06
Installed my VIM from midcity engineering this weekend and it works great. Only problem I've come across is my navigation doesnt work anymore even when I turn the VIM off. Gonna call them today to see why that is. Besides that, install was very simple. Rob at Midcity walked me through most of the install over the phone.

Are you in Canada? I installed mine this weekend too, and when i was talking to Rob, he said they were walking someone in Canada through an install.

My install went fine..I have the factory ipod connection...so things got pretty tight back there when I went to put the radio back in. I have the AUX VIDEO IN as well. I ran the wires to the glovebox. Now I can use my ipod video for the kids to watch movies. I won't be watching it while driving.

I am not having any problems with my NAV not working when I turn VIM off. Please keep us posted.

Haze
Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM

1991 560SEL, 1981 300SD, 1983 300SD, 2008 C350
I'm in the Philippines and can't wait for my order of VIM module & rear camera to arrive from Midcity Engineering.

I feel they are more reputable than other suppliers out there.

It's hard for me if things go wrong since I'm on the otherside of the globe.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM

2010 E350 SP / Honda Crosstour / prior vehicles - C32 modded / C300 modded / Lincoln LS modded
yo

Originally Posted by mbenz06
Found a guy who does it for $699 in costa mesa... He said the module is the reason it costs so much... BS?
whats the name of the shop. kind steep. But it's local
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

'
Originally Posted by evanswan
whats the name of the shop. kind steep. But it's local
Screw that place they suck. I reopened my car and sure enough, the metal attenna came loose so I didnt have navi. Everything works perfect now. If you guys buy the part from midcity which I highly recommend cuz it has been working flawlessly for me, make sure to tape up that attenna together cuz it comes out soo easily. Anyways, I'm very happy with my purchase and it works great.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Almost a Member!

C220 CDI W204
Wasn't there an possibility that the European W204 does have the engineering menu?

Can anyone confirm this, then i could just drive to the garage and get it done, right?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM

2008 C300
A device MUST be installed which disables the navigation to enable the video in motion. The device actually "overrides" the factory restriction and lets video play when the shifter is out of the "P" position. I installed this myself and it works perfectly. I would not hold my breath for some "magic override button", as there is more to it than a simple computer menu selection. I can not speak for the european models, but I am fairly confident that the only way this can be done, is by doing it the way that I did...installing a bypass device.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by thatonealex
Wasn't there an possibility that the European W204 does have the engineering menu?

Can anyone confirm this, then i could just drive to the garage and get it done, right?
Hazemonster is correct... the dvd unlock interface is the only way do it. Mercedes has not only removed the engineering menu from all newer models but has also severely limited the dealer ability to selectively program features using the SDS machine. This applies to the the 216,221 and W204 platforms.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 AM

I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
i want to get this done

I would love to do this to my car but im afraid my car is still too new, i got it in juanuary see link below.

object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_5Fkawy-_g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_5Fkawy-_g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM

C 350 Obsidian Black
Alright I installed my module from Mid City last night and it works except somehow the GPS signal is bleeding through and kicking off the video after about 1 minute or so. I know this because when I check the Navi screen I will see the location of the car "skip" down the road meaning it is getting a quick signal so say where it is, and then it goes away where when the "video off" is selected the car moves smoothly down the road. Has anyone had this problem yet?

I am going to call mid city today once they open.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

C220 CDI W204
Thats supposed to happen, you can not use GPS and VIM at the same time.

What did you pay for your unit?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

C 350 Obsidian Black
I know you can't use both with the unit. But with "Video On" the DVD will play for about 1-2 minutes varies, then it will switch off. I could not figure out why it did this so I looked at the Navi and it was twitching down the road even though "video on" was still selected. This means that it is getting random signals from the GPS antenna saying the car is moving.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM

2008 C300
That is strange....I installed mine from MidCity and have not had that problem. You did connect the proper wire into the VIM unit right? You pulled the one with the "pink" clip on the side of it...

If you hooked up the wrong wire..the problem you are describing would probably happen. Rob will know for sure.

Do you have the factory ipod? It got tight back there for me when putting the radio back in.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
XJ9

C350
It sounds like you are on the wrong antenna wire. When they did the prototype on my C that was when they first figured out that the GPS would block the video every minute or so because that is exactly what my car did during the development.

There are like four antenna wires on the back of the unit, two radio antenna wires in the white plug and then two in the blue plug: one is the GPS and one is the bluetooth antenna.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM

C 350 Obsidian Black
Connected to the right one from the directions. But I think I figured it out. They supplied me with old not so descriptive directions. just noticed on their website that I have to connect the VIM T-adapter between the original vehicle harness and the IPOD adapter. Not between the IPOD adapter and the radio. I will switch it tonight and see what happens.

By the way how did everyone squeeze the IPOD adapter and the VIM module under the radio? I messed with this thing for an hour trying to sort everything in there so the radio fit.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by Star & Laurel
Connected to the right one from the directions. But I think I figured it out. They supplied me with old not so descriptive directions. just noticed on their website that I have to connect the VIM T-adapter between the original vehicle harness and the IPOD adapter. Not between the IPOD adapter and the radio. I will switch it tonight and see what happens.

By the way how did everyone squeeze the IPOD adapter and the VIM module under the radio? I messed with this thing for an hour trying to sort everything in there so the radio fit.
That's where I was going with my questioning...to see if you hooked up the MidCity piece between the radio connector and the ipod connector...but NOT at the back of the radio. That is probably why your video wasn't working properly. As far as getting the unit back in there...it was a pain in the butt. Personally, I put the VIM unit down on the bottom and pulled it FORWARD under the little plastic shelf. I then tucked the harnesses down and to the back. It was an unbelievably tight squeeze...but patience will allow you to work it out. I almost gave up about 7 times...but it finally worked. Getting those two clips to slide down was an awesome feeling!

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

C220 CDI W204
So what did you guys pay for your unit?

And the way the VIM thing works is that it blocks the signal that the MM gets from the gps making it think it is standing still. It doesnt use the reading from the speed gauge.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM

C 350 Obsidian Black
I just reworked the wireing and I am getting the exact same results . . . now I'm annoyed. I know it should work. But don't know why it won't. I don't want to have to pull that radio out again.

BTW when your radio went back in with the VIM did you have to hold the radio back in place while you pushed those clips down, or did it slide all the way in and the clips could go down with not pressure on the face?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:07 PM

'
I just reworked the wireing and I am getting the exact same results . . . now I'm annoyed. I know it should work. But don't know why it won't. I don't want to have to pull that radio out again.

BTW when your radio went back in with the VIM did you have to hold the radio back in place while you pushed those clips down, or did it slide all the way in and the clips could go down with not pressure on the face?
Apply a lot of pressure.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM

2008 C300

Yes..I had to push the heck out of it to get the clips to slide down. I still have a "mark" on my palm, and that was three weeks ago.

It is definately not fun to do, and I am sorry you are having that problem. Have you spoken with Rob yet? what does he say?

I hope you get it figured it out.

Haze
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM

C 350 Obsidian Black
I just did some trouble shooting with TJ tonight. went though a couple different connections. They think there may have been the possiblity for a faulty module, so they are going to send me a replacement with a return shipping label. I will keep you all informed of the result.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Just finished installing the midcityengineering VIM module that I purchased from micropower99. Had a difficult time trying to put the radio back in because of the IPOD kit but eventually was able to get it back in. Works awesome.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jo17jC230
Just finished installing the midcityengineering VIM module that I purchased from micropower99. Had a difficult time trying to put the radio back in because of the IPOD kit but eventually was able to get it back in. Works awesome.
Hey, i'm glad it worked great for you, how long did it take you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Watching DVD's with car moving!