C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Watching DVD's with car moving!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by Hazemonster
The MidCity Engineering VIM is better. These guys work very closely with MB exclusively. NavTV makes systems for many different vehicles. MidCity's is in my vehicle and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. Easy to install, works GREAT, and less expensive than NavTV's.

Good luck with your decision.

Nav-tv really isnt a bad company: we actually had used some of their product at one point and they had some good stuff. The biggest issue that nav-tv has is that their support has really sucked in the past year.. we still have some phone kits that just dont work right and there has been no resolution forthcoming.

You are right that The midcity product is superior and its because they only specialize in mercedes and support it well... And its less expensive to boot.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM

2007 C220CDI W204
With the MidCity unit and a rear view camera installed, can you watch the camera display by selecting Video Aux? For example, can you see the guy behind you when you stop at a traffic light, or does the camera only work when you engage reverse?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Camera only engages while car is in reverse. The COMAND sends the signal from the camera when it senses the gearshift in the "R" position.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 AM

99 Nissan Altima SE
Camera only engages while car is in reverse. The COMAND sends the signal from the camera when it senses the gearshift in the "R" position.
Is the camera a wireless camera? Or does it require wires and extensive installation
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 PM

2008 C300
No..it is a wired camera and installation is probably not the easiest thing in the world. MidCity has some great instructions though....you may want to contact them directly.

http://www.midcityengineering.com
Old 05-30-2008, 01:32 PM

99 Nissan Altima SE
No..it is a wired camera and installation is probably not the easiest thing in the world. MidCity has some great instructions though....you may want to contact them directly.

http://www.midcityengineering.com
I watched the youtube video for the VIM installation and it looks pretty simple. They didn't have a video for the camera that is why I asked. I wanted to do the deluxe package. VIM, backup camera, and valentine. Thanks for the help
Old 05-31-2008, 03:04 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by goatehall
I watched the youtube video for the VIM installation and it looks pretty simple. They didn't have a video for the camera that is why I asked. I wanted to do the deluxe package. VIM, backup camera, and valentine. Thanks for the help
The camera install is more difficult than the vim module install.. I was there when they put the cam on mine and they had to take the trunk lid apart and trim some plastic to mount the camera. They also had to run wires all the way forward to the radio and make some connections.

You could certainly DIY it as a weekend project but I would bet most people would go with professional installation at least for the camera.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:25 PM

99 Nissan Altima SE
Originally Posted by XJ9
The camera install is more difficult than the vim module install.. I was there when they put the cam on mine and they had to take the trunk lid apart and trim some plastic to mount the camera. They also had to run wires all the way forward to the radio and make some connections.

You could certainly DIY it as a weekend project but I would bet most people would go with professional installation at least for the camera.
I figured it was pretty detailed. I guess I would do the VIM myself and let a professional do the back up camera and the valentine one.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 AM

C320 CDI Elegance
I inistalled my VIM module from Midcity this weekend. Thanks to TJ from Midcity. The install went fine. I do not have the ipod kit, so I didnot have the problem of lack of space to fit the module plus the harness back in. Mind you, it was still tight, so I can only imagine what a nightmare it can be if you have the ipod kit in there. I also took note of feedback from TJ and previous forum members, to tape the antenna cable so it would not move later on. The only 2 issues I had were, firstly, one of the module's connector wire became came off after I installed, so I had to remove all and fix it. I noticed the problem because the VIM was on all the time. I could not switch the video on or off, so I could watch the video and cannot switch back to nav at all. Also the telephone menu wasnot available from the steering wheel controls. Secondly, the orange plug that fits in the t-harness did not fit in the dummy harness supplied. It stock harness slot had 2 extra groves. So I had to trim the orange plug with a knife before it would fit.

Once fitted, it worked fine. The only downside is obviously you cannot have both nav and video at the same time. So you have to alternate. When you are having a 3 year old kid watching his cartoons, he doesnot take too kindly to me switching to nav back and forth! So I just leave it on. Actually I have found it less distracting that without. This is because, normally I tend to switch from screen to screen (nav to audio; and between the various views within those, eg, nav map pointing north; perspective; chosing songs on the audio folder view etc etc etc). Now with my kid watching his cartoons, like I said before, I just left it at that. So, less messing about with normal command menus/options, and I wasn't interested in the cartoons, so I had much less distraction. So, to all VIM-haters out there, please don't bash me. I tell you, it's less distraction as long as the driver is not trying to watch his/her own favourite film.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

2009 Mercedes Benz C300
Talking VIM in Costa Mesta

Originally Posted by mbenz06
Found a guy who does it for $699 in costa mesa... He said the module is the reason it costs so much... BS?
Hey Mbenz06,
Im curious if you can give me the guy's name and address in costa mesa. I live in Arcadia and I am very interested in that module.
Thanks,
Sherif
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM

mb w204
Hi all
I think that best of VIM is from worldwidesounds.com
there is good price and navigation works correctly
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 PM

E320
wow 3 pages and I dont have time to read all.. I have a question, I have an E320 with Nav, can these nav play dvd videos? even if it only when the car is not in motion.

thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 PM

vw vr6, stang 67, jeep unlimitted sahara, nissan frontier
Originally Posted by mbenz06
Found a guy who does it for $699 in costa mesa... He said the module is the reason it costs so much... BS?
bs
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM

2010 C350
Hey guys i know this may have come up before, but i have just the command center no NAV so no flip up screen. Is it still possible for me to watch videos while not in motion on this screen? thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by gtstunna
Hey guys i know this may have come up before, but i have just the command center no NAV so no flip up screen. Is it still possible for me to watch videos while not in motion on this screen? thanks
No
Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C350e with Comand, Vision Package and seat package, 2017 Mini Cooper S 7
Just buy a separate DVD player and let your daughter watch from the back seat!

You'd be a danger on the road if you could watch DVDs whilst driving!

Last edited by JIMSHANN; 04-25-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling