C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What NOISES do you hear from the INTERIOR when driving with the radio off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C350 (W204), 08 ML350, 05 E350
[QUOTE=rb23lb;2548873]I also have the popping noise that comes from the rear of the car from the plastic piece adjacent to the rear winshield

I have this thing too... and it drives me nuts....
I thought it was coming from the....I dun know where but It sometimes is scary. When the windshield like compartment makes noise, I don't feel safe in this vehicle. Have u tried to fully load the trunk and drive
you gotta love the sound. I almost went crazy. couldn't bear the noise that I stopped like 4times to look for the problem during 2hr drive high way.
I thought it was coming from near the speakers? or the shades?? I mean I can't possibly imagine other places from the rearside of the car. I don't want to actually. I try check the trunk side of the speaker and shades where I saw nothing but ordinary stuff. well I should've take out the trunk to look for the noise but I am not bold enough to do that yet.
I like this car much but I just can't handle this much hassle.
guess mercedes couldn't do much with the noises during 5yrs...
I am already looking for a trade in to C63 or cayman as an alternative...
I might and I might not. Gotta say I love this car but anyhow
I also have break squeeks especially on the right rear side.
It has gotten alot better but
I asked to fix it. anyhow there was nothing done to it all I hear was the break has been well worn out and should not give me any problem at performance. well but I feel embarrased whenever I try to stop especially when the noise comes in and everybody looks at my car because of its terrifying noise and its 'look' I hope?

ANOTHER ISSUE
when u wash ur car, look carefully for the tiny moisture in ur head light.
Maybe it's my car thing but...
I had this open tube at my headlight that I didnot even open it
I don't even know how but they charged me 25bucks to close it.
I dunt care about 25 bucks but charging me for I didn't do doesn't sound right but anyway I had this issue.

Finally I got some people experiencing same issues with noises
thought I was the only one. well hate to say and admit noise is becoming the common issue and become the build quality issue but...

enjoy the ride
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
Does anyone else's trunk make a squeeky noise when opened?? My trunk makes a squeeking noise when opening and closed.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM

c300
I am already looking for a trade in to C63
Why would a C63 make any less noises than then normal C?

Does anyone else's trunk make a squeeky noise when opened?? My trunk makes a squeeking noise when opening and closed.
Yeah, it's the cheap swing arm trunk design

all these unknown noise makes me wonder what did they do in those 5 years they said it took to design the new c-class.....
Look for every piece they could skimp and every corner they could cut to make the car as profitable as possible.

There's definately not any new technology here that hasn't been on other cars for years ... and some that's missing (memory seats).
Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM

528i, GLK
its sad to see a 5 year design car failed by manufacturing and cutting corners to save $$..... The design team must be pissed.....
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by MBfan21
try some wd-40 or oil lube.... this is just sad for mb. I thought mb realized that the c-class is the best way to capture 1st time customers and brings loyalty back to MB?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
had the sqeak for a few days too... it comes and goes with moisture in the air or how often I wash the vehicle... pretty weak how MB didn't think of a way to avoid this.... also happens with the door handles as well for the same reasons/causes
Old 12-14-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by webada
try some wd-40 or oil lube.... this is just sad for mb. I thought mb realized that the c-class is the best way to capture 1st time customers and brings loyalty back to MB?
this works, but come on, i paid 44K to not have to do these things....
Old 12-14-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=kimidjk;2549479]
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I also have the popping noise that comes from the rear of the car from the plastic piece adjacent to the rear winshield

I have this thing too... and it drives me nuts....
I thought it was coming from the....I dun know where but It sometimes is scary. When the windshield like compartment makes noise, I don't feel safe in this vehicle. Have u tried to fully load the trunk and drive
you gotta love the sound. I almost went crazy. couldn't bear the noise that I stopped like 4times to look for the problem during 2hr drive high way.
I thought it was coming from near the speakers? or the shades?? I mean I can't possibly imagine other places from the rearside of the car. I don't want to actually. I try check the trunk side of the speaker and shades where I saw nothing but ordinary stuff. well I should've take out the trunk to look for the noise but I am not bold enough to do that yet.
I like this car much but I just can't handle this much hassle.
guess mercedes couldn't do much with the noises during 5yrs...
I am already looking for a trade in to C63 or cayman as an alternative...
I might and I might not. Gotta say I love this car but anyhow
I also have break squeeks especially on the right rear side.
It has gotten alot better but
I asked to fix it. anyhow there was nothing done to it all I hear was the break has been well worn out and should not give me any problem at performance. well but I feel embarrased whenever I try to stop especially when the noise comes in and everybody looks at my car because of its terrifying noise and its 'look' I hope?

ANOTHER ISSUE
when u wash ur car, look carefully for the tiny moisture in ur head light.
Maybe it's my car thing but...
I had this open tube at my headlight that I didnot even open it
I don't even know how but they charged me 25bucks to close it.
I dunt care about 25 bucks but charging me for I didn't do doesn't sound right but anyway I had this issue.

Finally I got some people experiencing same issues with noises
thought I was the only one. well hate to say and admit noise is becoming the common issue and become the build quality issue but...

enjoy the ride
AMEN!!!!!!! I am extremely glad that I am not the only one as well!!

You bring up a very interesting point, in saying that the noise occurs more when the trunk is fully loaded... I have actually had a fully loaded trunk for the last 5 weeks and have noticed this noise... however it is intermittent and I actually have not heard it for the past 4 days

strange....
Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=rb23lb;2551018]
Originally Posted by kimidjk

AMEN!!!!!!! I am extremely glad that I am not the only one as well!!

You bring up a very interesting point, in saying that the noise occurs more when the trunk is fully loaded... I have actually had a fully loaded trunk for the last 5 weeks and have noticed this noise... however it is intermittent and I actually have not heard it for the past 4 days

strange....
do you also have the snap crackle pop noise from the nav screen area>?????
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
I hear the snap crackle noise! At first I thought it was just the audio of the tracks I was playing. BTW, the system named by tracks incorrectly. I had it burned to a cd and I know I named them correctly.. but when I have the audio list of the CD, it lists the wrong title of the song and plays the track.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear the snap crackle noise! At first I thought it was just the audio of the tracks I was playing. BTW, the system named by tracks incorrectly. I had it burned to a cd and I know I named them correctly.. but when I have the audio list of the CD, it lists the wrong title of the song and plays the track.
Snap crackle pop! exactly, I think the germans tossed some rice krispies in my dash somewhere that are becoming activated by the condensation from the AC or something...

it is not all the time though, very intermittent and unpredictable..

weird...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:25 PM

CL203 & sprinter
Originally Posted by webada
Yeah.. i chose mb because i didnt want a ford and thought the star assured the vehicles quality.
Next car is def going to be jap.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 PM

2008 C350 Sport, Black on Black
Originally Posted by goliath27
sometimes....... i hear dead people...............
LOL...

I do have that popping noise coming somewhere from the right rear passenger side..

Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I gotta say in reading this, this thread is ridiculous. You're going to hear something riding in a car in complete silence, in just about any car...especially in the winter. Mercedes' always have something going on under and behind the dash with vents closing/opening, and on older models comand screen fans turning on and off etc. Trying to pinpoint this is going to be a waste of time and drive you nuts in the process. Unless it is something really out of whack I mean really, what can be done about it? The C has so much plastic it would take a dash re-design to cure this for most people here.

M
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 AM

I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
I hear a pop too sometome in midlle of dash next to lcd radio display. I thnk it the seatbelt chime since that rattles i guess not sure .... And my right door speaker too has a bass issues rattle when music is on sometime even with the bass all way to low
Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

snap crackle from front dash doesnt bother me nearly as much as the door panel rattle...

or the crackle from the back rear winshield adjacent plastic... front dash noise=nothing can be done

other 2 noises can be fixed
Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
I notice a lot of wind noise when driving around 80 on the expressway. I don't recommend driving that fast btw. But it was not windy at all and there was a lot of wind noise in the car. Never experienced that in the w203.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I notice a lot of wind noise when driving around 80 on the expressway. I don't recommend driving that fast btw. But it was not windy at all and there was a lot of wind noise in the car. Never experienced that in the w203.
bigg *** side mirrors... i personally never use them anyway and wish there was something more aerodynamic... if i could I would get smaller replacement mirrors that are more aerodynamic... this probably takes 1 mpg off my total gas milage... i know they think they were doing something to make the car safer but this is pretty stupid imo and the cost FARRRR exceeds the benefit
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
They were required to make the side view mirrors that size.

Go get a Maybach if these noises really irk you that much.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
They were required to make the side view mirrors that size.

Go get a Maybach if these noises really irk you that much.
You know I've been defending Mercedes saying "oh the new mirrors are because of EU saftey requirements." But I'm starting to wonder how true this is? Why haven't BMW and Audi made massive mirrors if this is the case?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pmb600
You know I've been defending Mercedes saying "oh the new mirrors are because of EU saftey requirements." But I'm starting to wonder how true this is? Why haven't BMW and Audi made massive mirrors if this is the case?
+1
Old 09-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
I have a rattle around the AC trim and the gear shift trim. I had the trim removed and inserted felt around the corners of the trim. I also noticed that the clips were lose so I super glued the clips on better. The rattle has gone away.

I also have a tick and popping sound coming from the COMMAND LCD screen. My dealer also heard the sound and was nice enough to replace the entire LCD screen for me. It was sound free for about two months and guess what, now the sound is back. I think that's really a design flaw already where the only way I can truly get it fixed is to open up the LCD mechanism. Something I'm just not willing to do anymore.

I have the same rattle on the side door panel trim as well. I took it to the dealer and they said its the trim that's causing it. They said they inserted some foam but the rattle came back after about 7 months. I told the dealer about it and they said probably the foam they put must have fallen off or moved. They said if they use extra strength adhesive to tape the trim onto the door panel and place more felt on the sides of the trim, it shouldn't make the sound anymore. I have yet to completely fix this problem yet.

I also have the same popping sound coming from the instrument cluster area. At first I thought it was coming from just the black plastic trim surrounding the instrument cluster but it turns out it was coming from the instrument cluster itself. The instrument cluster itself is formed by combining two plastic sides. Where the sides meet causes the ticking sound. This is really a MB design flaw as the screws to secure the instrument cluster run through the parts where both plastics meet. The slightest movement will cause both plastic pieces to rub against each other and cause the popping and ticking sounds. My dealer was kind enough to replace the cluster for me but since this was a MB design flaw, the sound came back after a few months. What I then did was open up the instrument cluster, took apart the two plastic parts and super glued them together. YES, superglue. When you do this, just make sure you keep the glue away from the rest of the cluster. Only a small dab will be enough. Let it dry and re-install the cluster. Also put some felt on the inner top part of where the black cluster trim goes as well as a little felt on the bottom as well. This will cause the black trim to bulge a little but I find that a livable trade off for the elimination of the sound. The sound went away.

I still have popping sounds coming from the glove box, A pillar, B pillar, C pillar, rear parcel shelf, and front driver and passenger side door sills that I still haven't gotten to yet. Anyone know how to fix these problems? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Two noises on inside:
1-Windnoise at front door windows[Not mirrors] from as low as 60Km/h upwards.
2-Now and then a riddle from instrument cluster, if I touch the screen, it stops.
Garage unable to stop both noises.

Turn music on, no bother anymore.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
I have:

1. A-pillar popping (if I press on the A pillar trim, I can reproduce the sound). I notice this mainly if I accelerate from a stop with moderate to a lot of throttle.
2. Instrument cluster plastic cracking popping sounds
3. Rear "hat shelf" popping
4. In the mornings, I can hear a metallic like ticking coming from the instrument cluster when the car is idling, and at low engine rpms.

I notice 1-3 the WORST after my car has been sitting out in the sun for a while and the plastics are expanding/contracting.

Once I've been driving for a while, it seems as if these sounds go away, or at least lessen in how severe they are.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
What noises?

Originally Posted by rb23lb
I hear slight noises which sound like the plastic in the dashboard flexing with the changes in slope of the road... or from the wind hitting the dash or windshield from the outside when driving fast on the freeway...

anybody else notice these slight plastic flexing noises when you have the radio off and are conciously listening for any noise out of the ordinary road noise???

sounds very slight, like rice krispies popping almost, as when you put your ear to a bowl full with milk...

i assume it is just the natural flexing of all the interior dash plastics with the weight shifting of the car or from ouside wind resistance...

anybody else notice similar? just kind of getting annoying and the dealer could not pinpoint it in the front area and said it is just how the car is and is nothing to worry about since the interior has lots of plastic...
Nothing. Nada. Quiet as a graveyard at midnight. Well, except for the tire noise on the pavement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What NOISES do you hear from the INTERIOR when driving with the radio off?