C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What NOISES do you hear from the INTERIOR when driving with the radio off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
What NOISES do you hear from the INTERIOR when driving with the radio off?

I hear slight noises which sound like the plastic in the dashboard flexing with the changes in slope of the road... or from the wind hitting the dash or windshield from the outside when driving fast on the freeway...

anybody else notice these slight plastic flexing noises when you have the radio off and are conciously listening for any noise out of the ordinary road noise???

sounds very slight, like rice krispies popping almost, as when you put your ear to a bowl full with milk...

i assume it is just the natural flexing of all the interior dash plastics with the weight shifting of the car or from ouside wind resistance...

anybody else notice similar? just kind of getting annoying and the dealer could not pinpoint it in the front area and said it is just how the car is and is nothing to worry about since the interior has lots of plastic...

Last edited by rb23lb; 12-11-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Slight rattle, probably what you're describing, from the the guage cluster surround. Slight B-pillar rattle from seat belt spool area (have had on every car I've owned since 98). Wind howl from mirrors above ... uh, extra legal speeds. Crack/pop from the rear parcel shelf going over curb storm drains or steep driveways at a slant.

Pretty much par for the course as far as my experiences with the cars I've owned. Hell of a lot quieter than my wife's Q7 that's for sure.

I dunno though, are mercs supposed to be silent?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by oblu
Slight rattle, probably what you're describing, from the the guage cluster surround.

I HAVE THIS SAME SOUND EXACTLY!

Slight B-pillar rattle from seat belt spool area (have had on every car I've owned since 98).

NO B-PILLAR RATTLE

Wind howl from mirrors above ... uh, extra legal speeds.

YEP, CANT AVOID THIS...

Crack/pop from the rear parcel shelf going over curb storm drains or steep driveways at a slant.

YEP! SAME CRACK POP I HAVE FROM REAR PARCEL SHELF!

Pretty much par for the course as far as my experiences with the cars I've owned. Hell of a lot quieter than my wife's Q7 that's for sure.

I dunno though, are mercs supposed to be silent?
Thanks for your very helpful responses OBLU!! (See my repponses in CAPS above) now I won't drive myself crazy thinkin there is something wrong with my car everytime I hear these noises...

I wonder who else hears or has these?

If you and I do, then i bet others must as well, because what and where you described those noises were right on par with what I hear...

So, i guess with that much plastic in a car, it is impossible to make them silent (other than road noise)???
Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM

CL203 & sprinter
Tell the dealer about the noises..
They had a similar issue with the w203.
just about all the noise issues and the fixes were listed in the WIS.
so the noises were officially reported to mb.
in the end it would come down to the opinion on the dealer,
if they see the noises as an 'issue'. but they should fix it at no extra charge.
i know my dealer had to order a whole lubricant kit from mercedes when i complained.

In the end it will come down to the good will of the dealer..... but they are problems already known by MB.

good luck.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
sometimes....... i hear dead people...............

i know were talking about two completely different cars, but i have allot of stuff rattling that SHOULD NOT be, i just think its a Mercedes thing sometimes, i have heard noises in the C, CL, S and the ML classes of mine and family members cars. only one to be solid so far was the w211 E Class

ALi
Old 12-11-2007, 07:57 PM

c300
The thing I've learned with rattles though is that it's a loosing battle unless it's just so bad you can't live with it. (My wife's Q7 is in the shop right now for the 4th time on a dash vibration rattle that manifests itself at 65mph+ and is so loud you can't hold a conversation over it ... dash was taken apart at 200 miles to fix failing vent motors and it's never been right since.)

Because right now it's cold, so you've got a whole different set of rattles and squeeks than when it's hot and everything's expanded.

I've only had two cars in my life that didn't make a sound no matter WHAT. 1999 BMW 328i. That was one of those mythical cars I should've never gotten rid of. I swear it was built by a special team at the factory. And a 2001 Audi A8L ... but that was to be entirely expected.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Adi_V
Tell the dealer about the noises..
They had a similar issue with the w203.
just about all the noise issues and the fixes were listed in the WIS.
so the noises were officially reported to mb.
in the end it would come down to the opinion on the dealer,
if they see the noises as an 'issue'. but they should fix it at no extra charge.
i know my dealer had to order a whole lubricant kit from mercedes when i complained.

In the end it will come down to the good will of the dealer..... but they are problems already known by MB.

good luck.
thanks for the response... what is the "WIS" you speak of?? how can one check out what is listed on this MB problem database? can you check it online?

I figure I will bring this up to my local dealer and have better support if it is listed here in WIS...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 AM

CL203 & sprinter
Originally Posted by rb23lb
thanks for the response... what is the "WIS" you speak of?? how can one check out what is listed on this MB problem database? can you check it online?

I figure I will bring this up to my local dealer and have better support if it is listed here in WIS...

WIS = workshop information system.
i think its something that is discontinued, i have a 2005 edition and have not managed to get my hands on a later edition.
I've spoken to a tech and was told that the mercedes 'wis (or equivalent to what they are using at the moment)' is all online. but i could not extract anymore information from them.
the wis includes the c class up until the w203 (on my version anywys).
Apparently, (this is only what i've heard) that you could have previously ordered the WIS on dvd from the dealer as a part number.
i got it from ebay. =}

there is a MBUSA version of the wis, its made for the us dealerships only and is called 'starservice', and only comes as softcopy (such as dvd or cd).

ask the techs at your dealer about the new online system they use. i have troubles extracting anymore info from my guys.
it would be helpful to everyone here..
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 AM

CL203 & sprinter
i'll just prove myself wrong:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-WIS-...QQcmdZViewItem

still ask about the online stuff though.. im eager to hear

Last edited by Adi_V; 12-12-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I hear slight noises which sound like the plastic in the dashboard flexing with the changes in slope of the road... or from the wind hitting the dash or windshield from the outside when driving fast on the freeway...

anybody else notice these slight plastic flexing noises when you have the radio off and are conciously listening for any noise out of the ordinary road noise???

sounds very slight, like rice krispies popping almost, as when you put your ear to a bowl full with milk...

i assume it is just the natural flexing of all the interior dash plastics with the weight shifting of the car or from ouside wind resistance...

anybody else notice similar? just kind of getting annoying and the dealer could not pinpoint it in the front area and said it is just how the car is and is nothing to worry about since the interior has lots of plastic...

None , No un-ussual sounds
Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
> I've got a very intermittent annoying rattle that comes and goes from the glove box area, it could be something inside the glove box though as I was driving when my wife pointed it out.

> Right rear divider in the C-Pillar vicinity has a very audible and annoying buffeting sound at speed 68 mph and higher.

Other than those two thats it.

-Ryan
Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 AM

'08 C350
I have that popping sound from the dashboard too. Planning to see the dealership about it sometime soon.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM

so the build quality of the MB is not that good in US?

or only some of you have these weird sound problems in the cabin?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, our car, with 5300 miles and 4 months since delivery, is the tightest we've ever owned.

I did adjust the glove box lid [the rubber snubbers can be moved in and out, just like the similar pieces that cushion the hood / bonnet], because I thought it was too loose when closing, but overall, this is a far quieter and better assembled car inside than just about anything we've ever had - and this is car number 55 since 1962.

Our W203 C240, by contrast, was a constant challenge to chase down all the small noises; same with our 2006 Toyota Prius.

The C300 feels like a bank vault compared to these two most recent cars in our garage.

Last edited by jrct9454; 12-12-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM

c300
Oh and my side view mirrors rattle and vibrate when shutting the front doors. Plus they make a screeching noise as they unfold.

It'll be second time dealer has tried to address.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 AM

01 CLK 55 AMG
this thread it the reason y I never ride with my radio off!!! The sounds are creepy and will have you paranoid about every little noise
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
so the build quality of the MB is not that good in US?

or only some of you have these weird sound problems in the cabin?
just in cabin
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh and my side view mirrors rattle and vibrate when shutting the front doors. Plus they make a screeching noise as they unfold.

It'll be second time dealer has tried to address.
i had my mirrors checked for the vibrating and the service tech said they were tight as can be and that it was just the nature of their size that they create that vibration when the door is closed, nothinge you can do, how the car is
Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 AM

'08 C350
took my C out today and heard the creaking noise at the passenger side C-pillar....
Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 AM

08 C350 (W204), 08 ML350, 05 E350
I had same issues with my interior....it drove me crazy.
some plastic popping noise from the c- pillar or back windshield when going over curb storm drains or steep driveways at a slantand. even the dash board where LCD screen lies creates weird pop niose once in a while. My driver's seat seldomly shakes as well
as it was mentioned my rear view mirror squeaks too when they unfold/fold
I was paranoid after all

08 C350 sports P1 Ipod
White, Black Tex, P1, Auto.

05 E350
silver
07 ML
Black
Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 AM

08 C350 (W204), 08 ML350, 05 E350
by the way I went down to dealer few times for this issue and they said they can't do much about the noises. I try to pin point the sound but they kept saying I will have to regenerate the noise and if it is likely a platic noise they can take out the whole seat and trunk and pillar plastics but pretty much chasing after nothing according to 'chief manager?' I did not want that though.
too much wind noise? maybe?
u can't even hear music when u r about 133mph....due to the wind noise
throttle shuts off at 134? 135? as well but why 134?
why not 155? anyone know why? besides bc of H rated tires?

Last edited by kimidjk; 12-13-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by kimidjk
u can't even hear music when u r about 133mph....
That I got to see. I will be trying for 220km/h in a few days in germany then will let you know if I have the similar problem. But other poping , ratteling sounds, i guess its a bad build for US? I do not hear any sort of sound when I drive , close door , on an incline , breaking , hard breaking, etc etc.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM

2007 C280 4-matic, 2003 C240 4-matic, 2002 C230K Coupe
I've only had two cars in my life that didn't make a sound no matter WHAT. 1999 BMW 328i. That was one of those mythical cars I should've never gotten rid of. I swear it was built by a special team at the factory.
I had a 1996 328i that was the same way. No unwanted noises what so ever even at 116K miles. I loved that car.

I had a 1993 325 that rattled to no end though.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM

528i, GLK
all these unknown noise makes me wonder what did they do in those 5 years they said it took to design the new c-class.....

I think they need another 5 years to retune their manafacturing.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kimidjk
by the way I went down to dealer few times for this issue and they said they can't do much about the noises. I try to pin point the sound but they kept saying I will have to regenerate the noise and if it is likely a platic noise they can take out the whole seat and trunk and pillar plastics but pretty much chasing after nothing according to 'chief manager?' I did not want that though.
too much wind noise? maybe?
u can't even hear music when u r about 133mph....due to the wind noise
throttle shuts off at 134? 135? as well but why 134?
why not 155? anyone know why? besides bc of H rated tires?
EXACTLY! unless you can pinpoint the noise specifically, they said there is pretty much nothing you can do... I don't have the c-pillar noise at all, but I definitely have the random snap crackle pop from the dashboard LCD area while driving... seems to be more with the air or heat on... and then I also have the popping noise that comes from the rear of the car from the plastic piece adjacent to the rear winshield this I pinpointed but they said they could not reproduce it, so next time I will do a ride along and make sure they hear it...

I also have pinpointed the noise I get when the right passenger door slightly/vibrates or rattles during certain base notes at medium-low volume...

by gently pressing on the black birdseye maple trim on the passenger door, the rattle stops completely... So I believe it is loose trim that needs to be reapplied or a loose connection between the door piece directly under the trim...

If i can show this to dealer during my next visit, and they fix these two issues I can pinpoint, than I will be a happy camper..

however the dashboard random snap crackle pop, is WAYYY to hard to put a finger on without them tearing up my car...

lets keep this thread going with more and more descriptions, so when we go to the dealer to get these common problems fixed for free under warranty, we can bring a printout of this thread that will show evidence of how common these problems are and the dealer will be more likely to take our word for it and not just think we are freaking out about nothing...

thanks for your feedback and input, lets keep it going!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What NOISES do you hear from the INTERIOR when driving with the radio off?