C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is there a certain way to dry your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic Sport 2007 Acura MDX
Originally Posted by AsianML
I'm only worried about using that because I'm afraid it'll kick dust up and whatnot.
Some people use blowers, or you can 'sheet' the water off your car so most of it rolls right off, then use your waffle weave towels to dab those spots that remain.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by oblu
Get a 'big blue' waffle weave micro fiber towel.

Instructions for drying black car.
Step #1. Spread out and place on black car.
Step #2. Blot water off; never ever ever under any circumstances move the towel over the surface of the car. Just blot the towel on and off the surface of the car.
Alternate Step #2. Skip physical drying and use an electric leaf blower from the top down.
Step #3. If you absolutely must move the towel ... because you're special or something? ... only do so in straight lines; this will at least minimize the visibility of the eventual tiny scratches you'll put in the clear coat that will be visibile in bright light.
Step #4. Take to a referred detailer ... or do yourself ... each spring to have the car machine polished.
Step #5. After a few years of doing this dance, vow to never under any circumstances no matter what, buy a black car again.

Instructions for drying light colored car.
Step #1. Do whatever gets it done ... you'll never see the swirls except under mega harsh/bright light and even then only fleetingly. So have at it.
Surprised to see that a microfiber towel will add swirl marks if you move the towel as opposed to blot the water up, never heard that before tonight! Thanks for the information.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by PoaMike
^My problem... to lazy and dont have the time to do a full detail every week on my car. so a run through at the wash and a touch up when i get home with my towel (like you said, no tags and such) and its just all shinny... till i drive it again lol.
keep studyin for them exams, hope u got a spelling book
Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by emps
The goal is to always keep your car in great condition so that each time you come back from wherever you're going you can dust off the dust on your car, then use a waterless wash like Poorboy's Spray and Wash (http://www.poorboysworld.com/spray-wipe.htm) like I mentioned earlier. Use a quick detailer after that to keep the shine. But if it rains, bird poops on your car etc... you'll need to wash the car and not just dust it. If you're serious about detailing there are some really good resources on how to properly wash, polish, glaze/seal, and top off your car. It's not for everyone because it takes alot of time and you personally want to take pride in keeping your car in pristine condition. I'll be switching from using Klasse to Menzerna now that i've switched to MB.

Old thread of my just detailed M3 using Klasse polish and sealant glaze:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ghlight=klasse

Here's a pic of the hood:

Here's some sites with good tutorials and info on detailing.

http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/
http://www.autogeekonline.net/
http://detailcity.org/
can you please explain in better detail your dust off after you get back method??? if there is dust on a dry car, just wiping it off without water will for sure create swirls or small scratched in the clear coat from the dust particles you are draggin on your paint, CORRECT?????

I assume you spray quick detailer first then wipe off the dust to avoid scratches?? can you please explain better, thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by rb23lb
can you please explain in better detail your dust off after you get back method??? if there is dust on a dry car, just wiping it off without water will for sure create swirls or small scratched in the clear coat from the dust particles you are draggin on your paint, CORRECT?????

I assume you spray quick detailer first then wipe off the dust to avoid scratches?? can you please explain better, thanks!
The california duster will pick up the loose small particles on your car. The brush has a waxy adhesive on it to pick up dirt. And you're lightly dusting, not applying pressure to wipe it. Again, if there's stuck dirt accumulated on your car, dusting won't work you need to do a full wash. Poorboy's spray and wipe is formulated to lubricate the dirt on your car so that you can wipe away dirt without scratching your paint.

The ideal situation is you wash and detail the car, apply several coat of glaze/sealant. I use at least 3 coats each spread 24 hours apart so the glaze chemically bonds to the clear coat. Now i'm good for at least 6 months without really needing to glaze again until 6 months later. So, i go out and come back from wherever, I dust the car off with the duster. If there are places where there a bit of buildup I use the Poorboy's Spray and Wipe on the area, then follow up with a quick detailer. In the winter, it's harder to keep clean but I typically rinse the car off after a drive if there's rain or snow/salt then follow up with some spray and wipe in the garage. Just to get by winter. Spring and summer are easier. I detailed the M3 every 2-3 weeks, but they're quick sessions since I did them often. Check those links I posted, tons of info like this on there.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Avoiding scratches

<<MB using the nano particle ceramic polish is better than BMW or any Japanese car, but you will still get swirls on occasion.>>

Nano particle refers to the clear coat paint, not polish.

The experts will tell you never to use cotton towels and never rub the dirt off dry which seems unbelievable but somebody was advocating such a thing. After four years of fighting "swirls" on my Obsidian Black C320 I discovered random orbital buffers and Micro fiber drying towels ( I now have two) from Griot's Garage and cut down my swirl removal polishing sessions by half to perhaps four times per year. I use the "towels" only one time and then into the washer.

So far, at two months, my Barolo Red C300 has no swirls so it looks like the advertised advantages of nano-particle clear coat seem to be working.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by RLE
<<MB using the nano particle ceramic polish is better than BMW or any Japanese car, but you will still get swirls on occasion.>>

The experts will tell you never to use cotton towels and never rub the dirt off dry which seems unbelievable but somebody was advocating such a thing. After four years of fighting "swirls" on my Obsidian Black C320 I discovered random orbital buffers and Micro fiber drying towels ( I now have two) from Griot's Garage and cut down my swirl removal polishing sessions by half to perhaps four times per year. I use the "towels" only one time and then into the washer.

So far, at two months, my Barolo Red C300 has no swirls so it looks like the advertised advantages of nano-particle clear coat seem to be working.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 100% high quailty terry towel (no nylon stitching or tags and not those towels you get from target/walmart). I wonder what those experts were using before microfiber came out??

In either case, the important thing to remember is to use clean towels and folding the sides as you go along (something I find hard to do with the micros)
You will pick up dirt as you dry, so fold often.

Last edited by webada; 12-13-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by RLE

thanks for the correction. That's what I meant to say, thinking about the polish further down the post.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by webada
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 100% high quailty terry towel (no nylon stitching or tags and not those towels you get from target/walmart). I wonder what those experts were using before microfiber came out??

In either case, the important thing to remember is to use clean towels and folding the sides as you go along (something I find hard to do with the micros)
You will pick up dirt as you dry, so fold often.
True, just make sure that the 100% cotton towels are really 100% cotton or it will scratch your coat. It's the same premise with the cheaper microfiber towels you find in Target and Costco. Regardless of the technique, find the best quality towel/mf from a good dealer. I use Pakshak Microfiber towels for all my detailing needs.

Here's a good thread over at autopia about terrycloth towels http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ght=terrycloth
Old 12-14-2007, 12:22 AM

2008 C350 and 2003 Z4 3.0
Zaino and the swirls are gone, check it out at Zaino.com.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by stephensong
Can you give the exact link. Zaino.com does not work.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
Can you give the exact link. Zaino.com does not work.
http://www.zainostore.com/

IMHO, best stuff out there. The z2 is unreal stuff. no abrasive whatsoever, perfect for a new car finish.

Granted, klass is easier to use but zainos smells like strawberry!

Here are some before/after pix of what you can do with a DA with some Z5 on a long neglected black bmw (notorious for tough finish).... one pass. Zaino is probably not the best product for this job (needs something stronger, like meguiars 83 or even 5) but I was experimenting...
Attached Thumbnails Is there a certain way to dry your car?-before_zpc.jpg   Is there a certain way to dry your car?-after_zpc-z5.jpg  

Last edited by webada; 12-14-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM

http://www.zainostore.com/
Granted, klass is easier to use but zainos smells like strawberry!
Ha! Ever smell the poorboy's stuff? Natty's Blue paste smells like bubblegum!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 PM

c300
Surprised to see that a microfiber towel will add swirl marks if you move the towel
It's not the towel ... it's the crap that gets between the paint and the towel. I've learned over the years that this is all just a useless waste of time. If you buy black, learn to love swirls or you'll just be wasting a whole lot of your free time chasing the latest in hermitically sealed cleaning environments.

Zaino sucks, it's just an optical filler. Swirls are very much still there, just light's not bouncing off of them so you can't see them.

Actually, in a way, if your goal is just not to see the swirls then it's pretty great so I take that back. However, if your goal is to not get swirls in the first place it's useless.

My experience with it was that it didn't hold up to rain as well as a good traditional clay with polishing. But I'm in the PacNW ... we get lots and lots of rain.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by oblu

Actually, in a way, if your goal is just not to see the swirls then it's pretty great so I take that back. However, if your goal is to not get swirls in the first place it's useless.

My experience with it was that it didn't hold up to rain as well as a good traditional clay with polishing. But I'm in the PacNW ... we get lots and lots of rain.
I really hate to turn this into but I can't help questioning your reasoning....

clay will remove surface containmant, polishing (I assuming you mean the traditional polishing) will remove swirls, not protect the surface from it. The only protectant in the process is sometype of "sealant" or fillers such as pure wax or stuff like zaino, klasse and too many others to be named.

polishing in traditional detailing means applying mild abrasive to "flatten" the clearcoat around the surface to even out the swirls....... while some polish will contain oils to "revitalize" clearcoat by no means it lays a protection.
So which might give an impression of lasting longer but in reality it is just takes longer to create new swirls... while sealants will fall off faster and old swirls are back!

gosh, i might just regret opening up this can of worms......

Last edited by webada; 12-14-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM

c300SpP1
take your car to Prontowash. Better quality, no waiting, at the same time, save the earth. check locations @ www.prontowash.com. I like mine and always take my benz there. Love the results. Shinier than regular car wash with no water drips everywhere. Great Idea!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by emps
Ha! Ever smell the poorboy's stuff? Natty's Blue paste smells like bubblegum!
i should get me one of those then! luv trying out new stuff, especially bubblegum?!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM

i should get me one of those then! luv trying out new stuff, especially bubblegum?!
The whole Poorboy's line is great. Top quality stuff and cheaper than most detailing products. I use the SSR swirl removers, Wheel cleaner, top off wax, tire dressing, super suds, etc... And they all have unique scents, unlike Klasse where my hands smell synthetic
Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM

c300
I really hate to turn this into but I can't help questioning your reasoning....

clay will remove surface containmant, polishing (I assuming you mean the traditional polishing) will remove swirls, not protect the surface from it. The only protectant in the process is sometype of "sealant" or fillers such as pure wax or stuff like zaino, klasse and too many others to be named.

polishing in traditional detailing means applying mild abrasive to "flatten" the clearcoat around the surface to even out the swirls....... while some polish will contain oils to "revitalize" clearcoat by no means it lays a protection.
So which might give an impression of lasting longer but in reality it is just takes longer to create new swirls... while sealants will fall off faster and old swirls are back!

gosh, i might just regret opening up this can of worms......

No you're absolutely right. I've just come to the conclusion that the sealers and waxes are marketing gimmicks. I haven't seen them really protect against anything that the clear coat of paint doesn't already, so instead of trying to fill surface imperfections with expensive polymers for optical reasons just use a polish to flatten them out. Of course you're removing the clear coat, but that's how it goes. I haven't found carnuba waxes to really protect against anything, they just get stripped off in the first couple of rains. Same when I used Zaino.

But maybe it's the part of the country I'm in.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 AM

2003 SL500
Thumbs up california water blade

I have been using a california water blade to squeegy off the water then I dry with a bath towel.
NE1 else use this method.
Takes less than 5 min.
Rocco
Old 05-03-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
The water blade is good. Chamois leave streaks because of the natural oils.

The first step is take the spray nozzle off of the hose after rinsing the car. Then start at the roof and let a smooth stream of water pull the smaller water pools and drops off in sheets. Then use the blade and finish up with a soft silk-edged cotton towel. Meguiar's make really nice ones. They have a high pile and a waffle version. Both are really good. Also, using fabric softener in your towels = streaks in your paint. Another member also said this, but do not let your towels pick up dirt, sand or any small particles of anything. Don't take your car to a hand wash. You don't know how they clean their towels.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 AM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
I usually rinse the soap w/ a very small stream of water; this makes drying a lot easier. I use microfiber towels to dry the car. I have one for initial drying and another for the second go around. I ALWAYS wash my towels after a car wash. It's very important your tools are clean.

Swirl marks are usually made by dirt particles in towels when drying or whatever. If you want to be really neat, you can write your name or something.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

<<Lol I never knew it scratches the car? I do have my car machine polished about once a month. All this for just black tho... I might go get it painted 'flat' Black for that overly agressive look lol. Plus no scratchs/swirls/watermark glare.>>

Tsk tsk. You have it washed and have it polished monthly.

How is it being a trust fund baby, anyhow?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pronto??

<<take your car to Prontowash. Better quality, no waiting, at the same time, save the earth. check locations >>

I see the closest location to me is in Walnut Creek Ca, about a day and a half from here.

Guess not.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car washes? Hell no.

<<I almost had a seizure when I saw he was washing the car with a big brush with bristles... kind of like the kind you use to scrub a bathtub. >>

In a weak moment during bad weather, I asked for the free "courtesy wash" (for my '01 Obsidian Black C320) at MY DEALER which is supposedly "touchless" except that one of their trained apes used a long handled brush across the roof here and there and across the trunk before it went into the tunnel. Since they didn't dry it (thank God) I didn't examine it until I got it home into the garage.

I spent 12+ hours with my RO buffer but was unable to get the worst marks out. And, yes, they heard about it.

Certain types of cars are OK in car washes. Owned MBs and Porsches are not on that list. Lease cars, who cares.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a certain way to dry your car?