C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Warning When Dealing With The Grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Warning When Dealing With The Grill

Thought I would share this story. So I live in the country and there are deer everywhere, so I install deer horns. Yeah I've read somewhere that they are just myths and don't really work, but I have noticed deer running towards the road and when I approach they turn the other way. Could be they heard my car, or they heard the horns, anyway to my story.

So I'm looking inside the grill for somewhere to mount the horn, cause I'm not going to stick them where anyone will see them (have a sport grill by the way). Before I go just sticking them on somewhere I want to test fit them. So I try one side, no good, try the other side and find I nice spot and then when pulling it back out it catches on the top of the grill and falls down inside!

Here is where it gets complicated. The front end is sealed like a ziplock bag! I first try to remove the top plastic piece, there is a turn screw type thing in the middle, but it didn't help any, it was still stuck solid. I tried looking underneath it to see how it was held on but didn't have much luck. Also noticed that the air intakes and some hoses on the otherside are attached to that top plastic piece as well.

So I thought I would have a go at it from under the car. There are a few screw type bolts that hold the plastic pan on so I removed those, but its then put together like a puzzle piece. The front plastic fits under the next plastic that covers the trans, so needless to say I couldn't get to it from there either.

I certainly didn't want this plastic deer horn rattling around in there forever, so eventually I had to go Macgyver on it and wrap the end of a yard stick with double sided tape, and insert it through the top plastic piece to retrieve it.

The point of this story if there is one, is to be careful when working around that front end so as not to drop something in between the grill and bumper. Also would be helpful for those of you that have changed out the front grill to maybe to a write up of exactly how you got it out. I can see the "holders or clips" on each side of the grill but haven't figured out how to get that top plastic piece off. Any help would be great.