C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clear bra worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
I got mines done for the entire front end (full hood, bumper, foglamps, headlights, mirrors, fenders) and also got five windows tinted for $1500. Very worth it. Make sure you go somewhere who is reputable and knows what they are doing. Also make sure you get some type of warranty with it. Mines came with lifetime for both the bra and the tint.
Where're you located?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Paint protection film (aka clear bra) is more about the installer than the film. Today's film technology have more similarities than differences. Be sure to look at the final product especially on a black car to give you an idea of what the installer is capable of doing.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM

CLS63
Autobahnd is doing my ride on Monday.............. I'll post pix next week.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Also just added clear bra covering to fog lights in hopes of preventing rock hits from breaking the lenses.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by narky
Where're you located?
San Francisco Bay Area

Originally Posted by Premier
Paint protection film (aka clear bra) is more about the installer than the film. Today's film technology have more similarities than differences. Be sure to look at the final product especially on a black car to give you an idea of what the installer is capable of doing.
^^^^ They are the ones who did my car. lol

Very professional and the second time I went there, they were working on an Enzo.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 PM

08 C300 Sport
San Francisco Bay Area
^^^^ They are the ones who did my car. lol
Very professional and the second time I went there, they were working on an Enzo.
How much coverage do you have (full hood?) and what was the cost?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by norcal5
Entire front end (full hood and precut bumper, foglamps, headlights, mirrors, fenders) and also got five windows tinted for $1500.

Tint was $290. I forget what the exact total was, but that's around the price for everything.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by norcal5

Right here. There are cheaper options on eBay; people selling the same 3M material. This is the only full hood and fender kit I have seen though.

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...&submodel=5399
Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Right here. There are cheaper options on eBay; people selling the same 3M material. This is the only full hood and fender kit I have seen though.

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...&submodel=5399
It's not so much the kit itself, it's the labor that you are paying for. Considering I've never done a clear bra kit, I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing than trying to save a few bucks and doing it myself. I already paid $45k for this car, no sense in trying to cheap out on something that will keep my baby looking like new.

Last edited by Alpha Zero; 04-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not so much the kit itself, it's the labor that you are paying for. Considering I've never done a clear bra kit, I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing than trying to say a few bucks and doing it myself. I already paid $45k for this car, no sense in trying to cheap out on something that will keep my baby looking like new.
It's not that difficult to install. My first time turned out great.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350
It's not that difficult to install. My first time turned out great.
From the link you sent for the full hood, that's more expensive than me going out to get mines done. That precut kit also doesn't cover my headlights and foglights.
Everything on mines was done for $1145. That's full hood, precut fenders, front bumper, mirrors, headlights, and foglamps.
While it may not be that difficult, I'd rather not spend all day on something I'm not all too familiar with on my $45k car. Either way, to each his own. I'll spend the extra few hundred dollars to get it done right. Plus if anything ever goes wrong with it, I have Premier to blame and I can call them or go to their shop and get it fixed.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah. I posted the link to demonstrate how expensive it can be. Good luck with it. It's well worth it. I intend to install it for others when my business is up and running (well, bigger). That's why I don't mind doing it. I like to be familiar with as many cars as possible.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 PM

CLS63
Picked my baby up tonight. 950 miles. Sheesh. The body shop and Autobahnd did a FANTASTIC job. I had the entire nose done. minus the headlights. The line in the hood is not as bad as I expected but I can always take it off if I choose. They charge the same price for the kit even if you leave pieces off so I said EFF IT. Pix coming soon. Got a new grill too. Looking into having the old one powder coated instead of painted again. New one is perfect !!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saks_C350_Sport
Picked my baby up tonight. 950 miles. Sheesh. The body shop and Autobahnd did a FANTASTIC job. I had the entire nose done. minus the headlights. The line in the hood is not as bad as I expected but I can always take it off if I choose. They charge the same price for the kit even if you leave pieces off so I said EFF IT. Pix coming soon. Got a new grill too. Looking into having the old one powder coated instead of painted again. New one is perfect !!
How are you going to powder coat plastic? You need to electrically charge the grille to coat it and then bake the powder coat at 400 deg. F. Is there a different way to do it? I need to know.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
The clear bra did it's job, but the parts not covered are pretty pitted. Arrgh! I got "caught" in traffic behind and to the side of a landscape company's truck. The rear "doors" (no tailgate) were gapped open and a steady rock spray poured out. I now have chips on my hood, and scratches on the glass of the windshield.

Everything covered by the clear bra is just fine.

So, it's time to try touch-up paint.

It is against the law to take potshots at landscape companies?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Chips etc.

<<I got "caught" in traffic behind and to the side of a landscape company's truck. The rear "doors" (no tailgate) were gapped open and a steady rock spray poured out. I now have chips on my hood, and scratches on the glass of the windshield.>>

Since this is illegal in Washington State, you should have stopped them and called the po-leece.

Before someone thinks they know better, I have done just this here in Seattle three times and collected every time.

A Lonestar ready-mix truck dropped some wet concrete in I-5 right in front of me. It cost them $3800 to repaint the nose and replace the windshield, headlights, grille and all trim facing forward.

They are liable.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 750 Likes on 731 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jo17jC230
I just had my car clearbra'd over the weekend. It is 100% worth it even if you just go with the basic kit that covers the front bumper and partial hood/fenders only. It stops paint damage from rock chips and such which after awhile will look ugly. Yes you can have your bumper repainted but do you want to do that every year? With a clear bra, your bumper will look as good as new from day 1.
i know the clear bra would protect it without a doubt....
BUT, wouldn't the clear bra look ugly after a few years after beating on the rock chips and all? wouldn't u need to re-do the clera bra??
if so, the cost would be about the same between clear bra and paint job over the years...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 mercedes 300c sport
they need to make some peel aways for our windshields to keep them looking nice also
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MJ50
BUT, wouldn't the clear bra look ugly after a few years after beating on the rock chips and all? wouldn't u need to re-do the clera bra??
if so, the cost would be about the same between clear bra and paint job over the years...
I have clear bra on my Passat from 2003. It is as clear as the day I installed it and there are no signs of it taking a beating. It is much better than the alternative. Paint matching is way more diffcult than reinstalling clear bra, especially with metallic paint. Do yourself a favor and get clear bra.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
I have clear bra on my Passat from 2003. It is as clear as the day I installed it and there are no signs of it taking a beating. It is much better than the alternative. Paint matching is way more diffcult than reinstalling clear bra, especially with metallic paint. Do yourself a favor and get clear bra.
I agree. I have the hood, front bumper, headlamps/foglamps and side mirrors on my E protected with Ventureshield clear film.

Remember the appearance of the clear bra will vary with the skill of the installer. Here in So. Cal., there is a great company for clear bra installs, Areotect, located in La Verne. They've done great work on a couple of my cars.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by MJ50

That is what is great about the clear bra. It protects the paint and will look as good as new for years. Like Derspeed, there will be no signs of it taking a beating from your normal everyday rock chips. You simply wipe down the clear bra after a wash or use quick detailer and its like nothing ever hit it. Once you have used the product, you'll realize what a good investment it is.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Paint protection film, aka "clear bra", is really designed to protect OEM paint so that you would not need to repaint after just a few thousand miles of highway driving. Most films today come with varying degree of texture, but the most important is the installer. There are ways to make an installation more seamless via custom application while the precut templates would work just fine. When searching out clear bra installers, be sure to look at the final product. A confident / reputable installer would not hesitate to allow potential clients to look at the final product installed onto a car.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Man, I wish you guys lived in Ohio. I'd clean up installing this stuff. I intend to get licensed soon.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by jstaneff
The clear bra did it's job, but the parts not covered are pretty pitted. Arrgh! I got "caught" in traffic behind and to the side of a landscape company's truck. The rear "doors" (no tailgate) were gapped open and a steady rock spray poured out. I now have chips on my hood, and scratches on the glass of the windshield.

Everything covered by the clear bra is just fine.

So, it's time to try touch-up paint.

It is against the law to take potshots at landscape companies?
Got it "fixed" today. The hood chips went all the way to metal. Repair is not "perfect", but does protect the metal, and it's not too noticeable.

I suspect that most dealerships have this. The dealer I went to has a guy who drops in twice weekly. His job is to sit in the back lot and repair/touch up all the scrapes on used cars they take on trade. So, he has his van and sits out there sanding, buffing, painting, etc. He did mine for peanuts, but then there wasn't much to do.

I don't care that you can see where the chip was. Hey! That's a battle scar, and I'm proud of it! Oh. Maybe before it's traded ....

Anyway, picked up a few business cards too. Dent removers, paint refinishers, etc. Good trip, good results.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM

08-C350 black/black
ok only after 2 months i have a few chips on the hood already...i plan on gettin the clear bra...wut kinda shops do this type of work? and neone have ne suggestions on wut i should look for when i go to the shop? i looked on xpel dot com and they closet thing to me was about 2-3 hours away...im in Tulsa, OK...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra worth it?