C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Which is the wise choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Which is the wise choice?

I am asking your advice on bodyshopwork on E350 of my frined's. It was damaged mainly on the fender of the driver side.

I stopped by two bodyshops, one is associated with her insurance company (the first one) and the other (the second one) is referred to by my dealer.

The first one's estimate was about $550 for replacing the damaged fender and polishing job. The second one's estimates was about $1,000 for non-replacement job on the fender (like ironing-out - this might not be a correct expression because English is not first language of mine, sorry.) and slight repainting on the fender and hood in order for matching colors.

My friend asked my opinion but I don't know what to say. I was with my friend to the bodyshops and the second one looked more professional (for me).

Anyway, which one is the smart choice? The guy who actually appraised the car in the second shop said he could replace the fender if I want.

I know this forum is for C class and I am talking about E350 but I think this forum is more active than other forums so I am asking help here.

We plan to try one more tomorrow but prior to it I need your advice.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Is the first place for $550 going to paint just the fender without spraying any other parts on the car? A guy I worked with had that done on his 2 year old car and the new hood stood out like a sore thumb. It was obvious that the colors didn't match much.

Was the fender badly creased? Not sure without seeing it, but I'd be hesitant to have a crushed fender repaired. I think I'd opt for the replacement panel, but insist that they spray the adjoining panels.

Sounds like a good idea to get another estimate. Or two more.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Krytech
Is the first place for $550 going to paint just the fender without spraying any other parts on the car? A guy I worked with had that done on his 2 year old car and the new hood stood out like a sore thumb. It was obvious that the colors didn't match much.

Was the fender badly creased? Not sure without seeing it, but I'd be hesitant to have a crushed fender repaired. I think I'd opt for the replacement panel, but insist that they spray the adjoining panels.

Sounds like a good idea to get another estimate. Or two more.

Good luck!
I looked through the estimate made by the first one. There is no repaint or slight spray on adjoining panels. The second one mentioned paint job on adjoining part but I guess they suggested non-replacement job to charge more by adding more labour hours (When I showed the estimate of my insurance company, the guy working at the second shop seemed suprised and tried to persuade me by saying he added paint job on adjoining part (like hood) and pointed out different rate of labor fee).

I prefer replacement unless there is any better reason for non-replacement job. I will make another trip tomorrow. Your comment is really helpful and I appreciate your concern.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
How much?

<<I am asking your advice on bodyshopwork on E350 of my friend's. It was damaged mainly on the fender of the driver side.

I stopped by two bodyshops, one is associated with her insurance company (the first one) and the other (the second one) is referred to by my dealer. The first one's estimate was about $550 for replacing the damaged fender and polishing job. The second one's estimates was about $1,000 for non-replacement job on the fender....>>

Replacing a front fender plus refinishing it to match for a paltry $550 seems impossible unless you are in China. More like $2000 based on my experience.
Just last year I got a quote on repainting the hood on my Obsidian black C320 and the bid was $900 for just the center portion. And that was a shop that works on Mercedes, BMW and all the rest all day long.

You should stick with the shop the dealer uses since it will be more familiar with MB in general. One question to ask is if they can match the paint. They will of course say they can. And so, if they do not, they will have to do it over. As far as matching present day base coat/clear coat paint, a good painter (not even excellent) should have no problems.

You are not required to use the shop the insurance company wants you to. They are just looking to cut costs for themselves and force the shop to cut their prices if they want continued business from them.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by RLE
<<I am asking your advice on bodyshopwork on E350 of my friend's. It was damaged mainly on the fender of the driver side.

I stopped by two bodyshops, one is associated with her insurance company (the first one) and the other (the second one) is referred to by my dealer. The first one's estimate was about $550 for replacing the damaged fender and polishing job. The second one's estimates was about $1,000 for non-replacement job on the fender....>>

Replacing a front fender plus refinishing it to match for a paltry $550 seems impossible unless you are in China. More like $2000 based on my experience.
Just last year I got a quote on repainting the hood on my Obsidian black C320 and the bid was $900 for just the center portion. And that was a shop that works on Mercedes, BMW and all the rest all day long.

You should stick with the shop the dealer uses since it will be more familiar with MB in general. One question to ask is if they can match the paint. They will of course say they can. And so, if they do not, they will have to do it over. As far as matching present day base coat/clear coat paint, a good painter (not even excellent) should have no problems.

You are not required to use the shop the insurance company wants you to. They are just looking to cut costs for themselves and force the shop to cut their prices if they want continued business from them.
Thank you so much. Two shops were recommneded. One is by my dealer (I've already swung by) and the other is by a service man I worked with several times. I will go to the shop recommended by the service man tomorrow. I learned a lot about how to pick up a bodyshop for proper repair. I appreciate your time and concern. Really helping me.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
<<I know this forum is for C class and I am talking about E350 but I think this forum is more active than other forums so I am asking help here.>>

^+1

Take it to MB dealer and get a 3rd opinion
good luck
<
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I knocked on the doors of two additional bodyshops. One is Zamora's Auto Body located in Rockville, MD and the other one is the dealership's.

Suprisingly, the estimates of two shops are identical - $1,000 inclduing replacement of the damaged fender and painting job on the adjoining part (the driver door).

A staff at Zamora's at first recommended repair but later replacement should be made because the fender is made by aluminum, not metal. According to him, replacement is better than repair for aluminum part.

Zamora's was actually recommended by a serviceman at the dealership who said he would go to Zamora's if it were his car.

I don't know why two staffs in the dealership did not recommend their own bodyshop but am happy to know that insurance estimate omits many points and the second one is not professional as much as I expected. Or I might be wrong, i.e., the latter two shops might be less professional than the previous one that recommended repair.

Anyway, I am not a decision-maker but an advisor. My friend decided to stay with the dealership because they have the part in stock so will complete the job more quickly than Zamora's, which could not start until two weeks later.

Last edited by MondayQB; 02-08-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 PM

2008 C300 Sport/2006 e55 amg
paint test

you have to be careful on resale, when they run that instrument against the paint to see if it is a repaint, I dont know which idea is better, but keep that under consideration.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by shaunpaulinc
you have to be careful on resale, when they run that instrument against the paint to see if it is a repaint, I dont know which idea is better, but keep that under consideration.
You mean that repair may be a better idea than replacement? Let me advised.