C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

k&n filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350 sport 2008
k&n filter

So yes yes yes, i am a newbie. My question for you peeps is very simple, has anyone upgraded there air filter to a K&N FILTER? the reason why i ask is ive heard that once you clean your filter and add the oil to the filter that it damages our sensor?

-Lare B
Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Yes and no... As most everyone is aware, K&N's utilize a special spray on oil that aids in the filtering process. Some have reported that this oil can damage such sensors as the MASS Air & IAT sensors and leave unwanted residue along the intake track. When a K&N is used correctly (and oiled correctly) this is usually never a problem, but what happens more times than normal is that when it's time to clean out the filter (wash it down and re oil it), the consumer or end user (mechanic) uses WAY to much oil. The filter becomes overly saturated and this is when the problems occur. That excess oil drips off the filter and is sucked through the intake track and that's when you can harm sensors and such. K&N's from the factory (out of the box) come preoiled and very rarely pose problems, because their oiled properly....

So, what you need to do is just pay close attention to the instructions K&N provides when it's time to clean and oil the filter. If you do it right, you'll have no problems. If you're worried, you can always opt to purchase a high-flow dry element filter (no oil), and yes they do flow as well as K&N's (if not better in some applications), and yes you can reuse them...
Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM

c350 sport 2008
thanks for the info!! ducati!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
Yes and no... As most everyone is aware, K&N's utilize a special spray on oil that aids in the filtering process. Some have reported that this oil can damage such sensors as the MASS Air & IAT sensors and leave unwanted residue along the intake track. When a K&N is used correctly (and oiled correctly) this is usually never a problem, but what happens more times than normal is that when it's time to clean out the filter (wash it down and re oil it), the consumer or end user (mechanic) uses WAY to much oil. The filter becomes overly saturated and this is when the problems occur. That excess oil drips off the filter and is sucked through the intake track and that's when you can harm sensors and such. K&N's from the factory (out of the box) come preoiled and very rarely pose problems, because their oiled properly....

So, what you need to do is just pay close attention to the instructions K&N provides when it's time to clean and oil the filter. If you do it right, you'll have no problems. If you're worried, you can always opt to purchase a high-flow dry element filter (no oil), and yes they do flow as well as K&N's (if not better in some applications), and yes you can reuse them...
That's positive information there, KN are great but if you oil them too much there's possible damage. I had KN filters on my brother Mustang and my previous C280 and no problems in the past 4yrs. I heard people using the dry filters being worried or stories they hear about KNs, but with KNs its all good here.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
No worries.... Here's a little K&N tip...

When it's time to oil your filter, spray one quick burst down the center of each strip within the filter and WAIT at the least 5-10min before spraying anything more. This will allow the oil to penetrate within the filter and you will see what's being covered and what's not (un-oiled areas will remain white, while the oiled areas will turn a pinkish red). What most people do (kind of like an amateur painter) is try and cover as much of the filter as soon as possible, not allowing for the "penetration" to occur. This is when over saturation of the filter occurs, thus leading to possible sensor problems.

Remember, take your time, and actually watch the oil spread within the filter. Unless you've done the process a dozen times prior and know exactly how much to spray at what distance, DO NOT try and oil the entire filter in one shot. Go slow, with several small shots of oil (even if it takes an hour to do so) and you'll have a perfectly, trouble-free K&N filter for years to use...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Obsidian Black C350
Over oiling foam filters can cause the same problems. Best thing to do is go slow and let the oil absorb.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 AM

C200 AMG W204
K&N filter installed for over a month no problems at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Very good post!! I wanted to get a K&N so I searched the forum. Looks like I found my answer. Correct me if I am wrong but we need 2 of these filters for our cars right??
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Aggressive
Very good post!! I wanted to get a K&N so I searched the forum. Looks like I found my answer. Correct me if I am wrong but we need 2 of these filters for our cars right??
Yes I believe so because my E350 requires two.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CE EXO
K&N filter installed for over a month no problems at all.
Was it easy to install? COuld you possibly take a couple pics of where it would go or how it looks when it's in?

Thanks alot bro,

Daniel
Old 03-01-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
does it affect performance or sound?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I worry they are too oily out of box. If it wasn't for that, I'd just buy a new one each time. The one for the W204 is like $35 on Amazon. obviously you need two.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM

08 C300 Sport
Do the K&Ns work that much better? I've heard increased mpg but would like to hear some real life experiences.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by norcal5
Do the K&Ns work that much better? I've heard increased mpg but would like to hear some real life experiences.
I haven't used it on my Mercedes. I used it on two Japanese sedans, and I didn't really notice anything. I won't be using it on the Mercedes as it seemed to create some issues with one of the cars due to the oil (just out of the box oiled).
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by norcal5
I have not had one in a Mercedes but with my other cars the MPG did increase along with a little bit of power.

Originally Posted by vcruiser
does it affect performance or sound?
The sound will not change with a K&N drop in filter becasue you would simply replace the filter in the stock air box with the K&N. It is a panel filter that fits just in th same place as the stock filter. If you want more sound and performance you can ge the cold air intakes. These cost more but will give you some growl and some performace. The cold ait intakes have a longer tube that will bring the filter lower and more toward the front of the car for the fresher colder air that has not yet been heated by the radiator core. Personally I am going with the stock replacement filter instead of going with the more expensive CAI.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just bought one K&N tonight and have to wait for tomorrow to get the other. (Out of stock, only had one filter left Part # 33-2181) Once I get the other one i'll put them in a take some pics. I am curious to see how the original filter will look compared to the K&N.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Guys,

I feel like an idiot for asking lol but where is the air filter's located in the engine bay?

Thanks

Daniel
Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by micropower99
I just bought one K&N tonight and have to wait for tomorrow to get the other. (Out of stock, only had one filter left Part # 33-2181) Once I get the other one i'll put them in a take some pics. I am curious to see how the original filter will look compared to the K&N.

Regards,

Daniel
Did you ever take any pictures of the change? What do you think of the K&Ns?

I'm still scared to put them in cause of they seem so oily out of the box, but I want to.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, I didn't put them in cause its so damn difficult to get into the air filters in the w204. I'm just going to tell my merc dealer to put them in instead of putting theirs in when its time for the first service change. Yea I heard their oily but I also heard it worked no problem for a couple people. It's K&N you can't go wrong with it. They had some immitation ones at auto stores here but thats where it might f up our car lol.

Ttyl,

Daniel
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM

2008 C300 Sport
... can some of you guys follow through with pics? not sure how to change out the filter and I'd like to put in a K&N this weekend.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Excellent thread. Such great info.

I've considered this filter, but figured that I'd just buy new filters whenever I need to clean them. I wanted to avoid oiling them in the wrong way, since I'm a total dumbass. But now, I reading here that even oiling from the factory can cause problems? What's the final word, if there is one? Should I just stick with the stockies? Not worth the headache/possible problems? Or should I try re-oiling them myself--I'm a pretty meticulous/careful guy, if I may say so myself, and I do have some engineering edumacayshun in me.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Will be installing mine this week. Think I've finally figured out how to open the engine cover......

I've heard reports of increased MPG for the w204s using these filters. No real difference in power. No one I've talked to has issues. Reoiling shouldn't be a problem. Just like painting, take your time and do light coat. This filter should pretty much pay for itself with the price of gas and the reusability. It doesn't appear too oily out the box btw and if you really don't want to oil it up, you can always just opt to buy another pair. I would probably suggest oiling it yourself, unless you know for sure that the mechanic has oiled K&N before.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM

W204
i posted some info a while ago...its all in this thread...should help.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=air+filters
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Guys.

So I finally put in the K&N's today. First notice it was a little more touchy on the throttle response and a very mild engine growl (barely noticeable). As long as I don't get any MAF problems I'm very happy I'll post updates if I ever have a problem.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just an update guys. I drove for the first time on a longer HWY trip last night since I installed my K&N's and honestly I never got this high of mileage before. (Not making it up) Normally I would get 20-22 on the HWY (The highest) but last night I topped out at 26 MPG.

Regards,

Daniel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k&n filter