C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

To those that didn't get the Multimedia package...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 SS
Thumbs up To those that didn't get the Multimedia package...

I am starting to price out the W204 (C350) and I wanted to ask all of those who did not get the multimedia package what are your thoughts of the stock sound system and standard smaller LCD display. What kind of information does the standard smaller LCD display, and what kind of functions can you perform?

The item I really want from the multimedia package would be the upgraded sound system since I really don't need the navigation (I use telenv on my blackberry that rocks!)...the bigger pop out LCD screen and internal hard drive would be nice too but I really don't need it.

I have the upgraded HK sound system now in my 2005 C230K that I am happy with... and the one thing I don't want to do is have to upgrade my audio system with a aftermarket setup.

It would be great if MB decided in 2009 to seperate the upgraded sound system option from the navigation option...(Plus replacing the current C350 engine with the new 305 HP V6 as well) one could only dream!

I don't know if I can squeeze the extra $3,000 into my budget so I just wanted to get some feedback....

Last edited by MCONDE01; 02-26-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
the extra money was out of the question for me so i didn't get the multimedia package.

function wise you get phone/radio/disc stuff only - song titles, artists, call duration, etc. trip computer stuff all comes through the instrument panel. you are able to control radio and phone functions through the steering wheel. size of the screen is not a problem and i think the day/night color switches are pretty cool.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM

C300 4Matic Sport, P1, iPod
Honestly, the MM package is very nice but I've been quite pleased with the standard setup. I run the night display 100% of the time because I think it looks better. The sound is great and the smaller display is easy to read. I've never had sat radio before and it's definitely something I'll keep after the free 6 months. I also have the iPod adapter, so quite frankly, the stock setup is more than I'll ever need. I have no use for the NAV or the hard drive, so in the end I'm happy I did not spend the money on the MM package.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM

2005 C230 SS
Thanks for the feedback so far.... I am looking to get the I-Pod adapter as well.

What is the "night display"....a setting? Does the night setting use different colors or something?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM

C300 Sport 6sp
C300 Sport 6sp owners...What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

My car come sin in April but was curious as to what kind of mileage the 6sp was getting.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM

C300 Sport 6sp
Oops sorry...wrong post
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by MCONDE01
Thanks for the feedback so far.... I am looking to get the I-Pod adapter as well.

What is the "night display"....a setting? Does the night setting use different colors or something?

basically it just uses the same sensors that the auto-headlights use to determine that its dark outside and then the display changes from white background to black background
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by zebra1550
Honestly, the MM package is very nice but I've been quite pleased with the standard setup. I run the night display 100% of the time because I think it looks better. The sound is great and the smaller display is easy to read. I've never had sat radio before and it's definitely something I'll keep after the free 6 months. I also have the iPod adapter, so quite frankly, the stock setup is more than I'll ever need. I have no use for the NAV or the hard drive, so in the end I'm happy I did not spend the money on the MM package.
+1
Like base sound system, have ipod adapter & portable nav. No regrets.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
I didn't need nav either but I really would have liked to have the HK sound system. I was very close to having the dealer find the 6sp w/ MM for the sound, but I also couldn't justify spending $3K on speakers! I sometimes go through the regrets of not getting it, but only when I read the boards!

I enjoy my Sirius, playing MP3 discs, and plugging my player into the AUX jack (I have to fiddle with the volume though). For what I need, it all works great.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:57 PM

C350
Other than not having the cool lcd pop out when I start the car, and the option to add a backup camera later, I dont miss the MM.

The sound quality is very good, and I had a 10 speaker Bose system from my last car (Infiniti Fx45) It is by no means as loud, but the quality is very good.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
As far as functions go the standard radio does everything the MM radio does minus the nav, dvd, and SD functions. The screen is nice, although I never bother to use it I just leave the cover closed. The sound is pretty good as well, I have never noticed a real difference between the sound systems in Benz's, yeah you can hear the extra center speaker and maybe a bit more bass but nothing that blows my ears off..this is even true about the CLS550 Diamond White Edition with the Bang & Olufsen system. I'm still not sold on the Sirius radio, I find it has many draw backs and its cheaper just to burn some MP3's to a disc, still get the good quality sound and no comericals...for FREE. BMW is offering HD radio receivers in some of their cars and while there aren't very many stations broadcasting in HD format as of right now, with the new law taking place next year for tv its only a matter of time before radio switches over and the satellite companies go under.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I didn't get the MM package as it would price my C300W4 almost $45,000 with the other options I must have.
I have been very satisfied with the sound quality and the smaller color display is still very cool. If you compare to the BMW 3-series they still have a very tiny amber digital display which is hard to read and looks pretty dated, and it only displays the radio functions.
Seeing the settings function, Sirius radio, sound and bluetooth settings, and phone book through the display is a huge plus.

I've heard a lot of poor reviews on most OEM nav systems (except for ones on Acuras), primarily the hard to use controls and the cost and hassle of updating software. I'd rather save my $3,000 and get a Garmin or Magellan portable GPS that's easy to use and easy to update the software. I'm also worried about having the motorized screen going up and down all the time and the wear and tear issues associated with it.

The option I was very happy to get is the iPod integration kit. It so really great to control the iPod through the steering wheel controls and see the display in the speedo display. Having the iPod stored out of sight and always charged in the glovebox is a good plus. I had the additional amplifier installed with the iPod kit (only a $20 part), and it helped in the volume difference problem between the iPod and stereo functions especially in earlier build cars.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Almost a Member!

C300 4 Matic
I've seen so many people on this forum regret not getting the MM. I personally think it's the #1 option. I really had to do some cost cutting my self so I chose the MM over the P1 and P2 packages. The small radio screen without the MM looks so... cheap.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I run the night display 100% of the time because I think it looks better.
^+1
The sound quality is very good, and I had a 10 speaker Bose system from my last car
^+1
I hade the G35 Boss syst
I just leave the cover closed.
^+1
me too
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Initially, I did not want MM package thinking that it was waste of money since I have portable GPS Navigation system. Now I am really glade that I got MM option for my car. Without the MM package, it’s not just GPS Navigation system you would be missing. You would miss whole lot of fun and features that even cheaper new American cars are now offering.

Here is the list you would not get without MM option

1. Superior Logic 7 sound system – The sound is amazing comparing to others. CAR AND DRIVE magazine people even agree on that part although they ranked our car at the bottom

2. Superior Voice command system - You can control almost anything with your voice command. You can enter destination address for GPS using voice command. You can even do this. In radio mode, simply say any channel frequency and it will take you there . Say “105.5” then it dials to 105.5

3. 6 CD / DVD changer

4. PCMCIA memory card slot – buy $19 PCMCIA flash memory adaptor for your flash memory, store all your music files, you don’t need anything else to play your song with.

5. Copy your favorite CD title to internal Hard Drive. You don’t need to carry your CD anymore and free up the CD bay

6. One of the best GPS Navigation systems – Large screen, fast update, “Caveman can follow” type of street direction aid.

8. Watch DVD movie or play audio DVD. If you are 100% sure that you won’t get distracted by playing video DVD for your passengers while driving, you can spend $380 to bypass the the VIM(video in motion) lock to play video DVD. I don’t know if it’s legal or not though..

9. You can add backup camera like you have seen in the movie National Treasure 2 for US C class.

Most of all, retractable flip open screen is Sooo.. Cool. And this is what shines the new C class from any other classes IMO.

Last edited by kimyoung_k; 02-27-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:41 PM

C300 4Matic Sport, P1, iPod
That's some good info Kim. Don't get me wrong, if money was not an option I definitely would have sprung for the MM package. However, we just had our second kid and daycare is running $1600 a month right now. I guess for us, the standard package FAR exceeds anything else (stock) I've ever owned. There are some out there who are inclined to get the latest high tech stuff, and the MM package is for them. But for those of us who can't afford or don't care, the base system is still superb.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by zebra1550
That's some good info Kim. Don't get me wrong, if money was not an option I definitely would have sprung for the MM package. However, we just had our second kid and daycare is running $1600 a month right now. I guess for us, the standard package FAR exceeds anything else (stock) I've ever owned. There are some out there who are inclined to get the latest high tech stuff, and the MM package is for them. But for those of us who can't afford or don't care, the base system is still superb.
I hear you. MM package is, in fact, "must have" option for those who seeking for latest tech features and for them, I believe it is worth of money.

After all, 2008 C class is still packed with full of satisfactions even without the MM package.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

C300 4 Matic
Bottom line, if you're on the fence, you should get it or else there is big chance you will regret down the road.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by red309
I've seen so many people on this forum regret not getting the MM. I personally think it's the #1 option. I really had to do some cost cutting my self so I chose the MM over the P1 and P2 packages. The small radio screen without the MM looks so... cheap.
Be happy you bought it in the first year then..because from the looks of the new GLK, its only a matter of time before they replace the flip out screen with the stationary one. After that screen folds and flips for a year or two...we will start seeing lots of people complaining about burnt up motors and their screens won't flip making them useless.

For the other poster talking about the logic 7 system...he must be partially tone deaf...although I do have ears like a bat which makes me really picky about sound. I do in fact have the logic 7 system in my other car...and besides the added bass and the extra highs coming from the center speaker...you would be hard pressed to tell there was a difference. Hop in a Lexus with a Mark Levingston sound system and hear what a stereo should sound like. To be fair though, the Mark Levingston system is way way way too expensive..like you have to pay for it in bars of gold and diamonds.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

I drive 2008 C350
Originally Posted by kimyoung_k
Initially, I did not want MM package thinking that it was waste of money since I have portable GPS Navigation system. Now I am really glade that I got MM option for my car. Without the MM package, it’s not just GPS Navigation system you would be missing. You would miss whole lot of fun and features that even cheaper new American cars are now offering.

Here is the list you would not get without MM option

1. Superior Logic 7 sound system – The sound is amazing comparing to others. CAR AND DRIVE magazine people even agree on that part although they ranked our car at the bottom

2. Superior Voice command system - You can control almost anything with your voice command. You can enter destination address for GPS using voice command. You can even do this. In radio mode, simply say any channel frequency and it will take you there . Say “105.5” then it dials to 105.5

3. 6 CD / DVD changer

4. PCMCIA memory card slot – buy $19 PCMCIA flash memory adaptor for your flash memory, store all your music files, you don’t need anything else to play your song with.

5. Copy your favorite CD title to internal Hard Drive. You don’t need to carry your CD anymore and free up the CD bay

6. One of the best GPS Navigation systems – Large screen, fast update, “Caveman can follow” type of street direction aid.

8. Watch DVD movie or play audio DVD. If you are 100% sure that you won’t get distracted by playing video DVD for your passengers while driving, you can spend $380 to bypass the the VIM(video in motion) lock to play video DVD. I don’t know if it’s legal or not though..

9. You can add backup camera like you have seen in the movie National Treasure 2 for US C class.

Most of all, retractable flip open screen is Sooo.. Cool. And this is what shines the new C class from any other classes IMO.
I always thought i don't have MM package. I got the full package i guess that comes with MM. The reason i thought i didn't have MM package is cuz i can't see my ipod playlist on my dashboard (knowing it doesnt come up on the LCD anyway). ONe thing i don't like is the AUX outlet is inside the glovebox. So now i have wire hanging out of the glovebox. Sound and stuff. I tried pressing the hang up button and hold it to get the ipod shuffle, nothing.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I think the Monsoon system in my Passat sounds better than the standard system in my C300. The Monsoon was the "premium system." I think MB could have offered at least its equivalent better without the Nav. I couldn't justify an extra $3000 when all I really want is a better sounding stereo. To me, the standard stereo is adequate, but nothing more. I do like the sat radio, but to pay for so few choices is odd. I'll stick w/ CDs and my new nano.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM

2005 C230 SS
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Be happy you bought it in the first year then..because from the looks of the new GLK, its only a matter of time before they replace the flip out screen with the stationary one. After that screen folds and flips for a year or two...we will start seeing lots of people complaining about burnt up motors and their screens won't flip making them useless.

For the other poster talking about the logic 7 system...he must be partially tone deaf...although I do have ears like a bat which makes me really picky about sound. I do in fact have the logic 7 system in my other car...and besides the added bass and the extra highs coming from the center speaker...you would be hard pressed to tell there was a difference. Hop in a Lexus with a Mark Levingston sound system and hear what a stereo should sound like. To be fair though, the Mark Levingston system is way way way too expensive..like you have to pay for it in bars of gold and diamonds.

Wow, so you really think that the navigation screen is going to become stationary in the center stack again? Interesting...

Thank you for the great breakdown kimyoung_k! If I can afford the extra $3,000 when I buy the car trust me I will get the MM package...

I had a monsoon system in my previous car: (2001 VW Jetta 1.8T) and it wasn't that bad...good enough that it was manageable.

And I agree with you Derspeed , I am more of a CD's and Nano Ipod kinda guy myself.

Can't wait to see if they change any of the packages for next year....

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far...

Last edited by MCONDE01; 02-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Obsidian Black C350
Originally Posted by Derspeed
I do like the sat radio, but to pay for so few choices is odd. I'll stick w/ CDs and my new nano.
There are over 100 stations on Sirius. Full channel guide can be found here:
http://www.sirius.com/channelguide

I wonder if the free 6 months is station limited. It is on my gf's new beetle.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by rdsesq
There are over 100 stations on Sirius. Full channel guide can be found here:
http://www.sirius.com/channelguide

I wonder if the free 6 months is station limited. It is on my gf's new beetle.
No..all the stations are open except for the Playboy Channel, but they ask you when signing up if you want that blocked.

As for the comment on the MM screen becoming stationary, I think it will happen sooner rather than later. Its a cool option, but I don't feel to confident its going to hold up so well over time (also noticed that they didn't bother to use the same screen on the GLK, but they used pretty much the rest of the C class parts). Talking to a salesman and hes found that the screen ends up being one of the first complaints of people, but keep in mind the average buyer of a Benz is in some what of an older age demographic and they tend to shy away from technology.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:59 AM

W204 C220cdi
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Personally, I doubt MB will go through a re-design of the dashboard top roll any time soon. They needed to move the sat-nav screen up much higher into the driver's line of sight to meet with expected European regulations and fixing it in position would require either some sort of stuck on binacle which would look pretty crap, or an expensive re-design / re-tooling for the top roll. I don't expect either. It's cheaper and easier to fix the drive mechanism if it develops an unexpectedly high failure rate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To those that didn't get the Multimedia package...