C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Accident :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
Accident :(

I was driving along, minding my own business on the Southern State Parkway last night and traffic comes to a stop. It wasn't even a sudden stop, it slowed down, then stopped. So I am at a complete rest when BAM! someone rear ends me. She said she looked down for a second and wasn't aware that traffic had stopped.
According to my service advisor, the car might be totaled, it depends on the extent of the damage to the frame.
If it is totaled, I think I'll get it in black this time around

I wonder if anyone will notice the irony in my plates, lol.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 350 Obsidian Black
Oh you be you . . .

Sorry for the incident. Hopefully they total it and you get to pick up a new one. I should be getting my Obsidian Black next week.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Sorry about your car, are you OK?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM

c220 cdi sport
Sorry to hear that. Assuming you're ok.

i had a rear end. the other driving was talking on the phone and didnt see the red light..then emerged with no shoes on..and continued to yap on the phone while looking at the damage...

my bumper was absolutely fine. little scratch. i was amazed. the other car, a corsa, had a big front dent.

hope it works out
Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 AM

C300 4Matic Sport, P1, iPod
I hate that you had to be the poster child for how well built the C300 is, and I hope that you are OK. I think it's a testament to MB of just how well built these car are. I would assume that the other driver didn't even have time to brake, and that her car took just about the worst possible hit from behind. Yet, from the photos, there seems to be no intrusion into the passenger compartment. This is why I'll continue to put my family into a MB.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
im in pain looking at that, sorry about ur car
it sux when theres so many absent minded people on the road and u cant control it
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 PM

1963 220Sb
sorry to see that, hope you are OK.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:36 PM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
OMGOD~~~~~~~~~~~

I can only say...It would be totaled and you will get received black new one...

Anyway, you should go to hospital and check your neck...
Any Car accident can give some hurt to you in the future even though it is just little happening/accident.

Sorry to hear that....
Old 03-07-2008, 01:12 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Ditto on getting your neck checked out. If you don't do that now, it will feel better but may not be. Very long term side effect here.

As to the car:
- Did the crumple zones protect you well from the impact? (Did you feel the collision?) I once had a Peugeot 505 that was crumpled up to the back tire, there was hardly a bump felt inside.
- Is the damage limited to just above the bumper? If it is, then the "frame" may be fine. I had an Accord "shortened" by this kind of impact, but the frame was still in perfect alignment.

I'd push to get it totaled. There's no way a body shop can properly restore the factory rust protection once this kind of impact has happened.

Maybe you could sell it as a parts car?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
sorry to see that, hope you are OK.
+1

Keep us posted on your situation (you, car). Hope you get back into a C real soon.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

ML350
Originally Posted by atiqa
.... I wonder if anyone will notice the irony in my plates, lol.
Sorry to hear about the accident. But it is great that you can laugh about it and see some humor in it.

Hopefully no one was hurt.

On a different note ... I've noticed that any time there is an accident, Americans always are the first to say "go get checked out by a doctor". (please relax folks ... just a little joke about the stereotype that Americans love to sue everyone)
Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

c300
Unibody, the entire car is the "frame". When they're talking about alignment, they're talking about the subframe pick up points; if those are moved out of spec then the "frame" is bent.

No matter what, with any unibody impact there's going to be cutting, welding, sanding and a whole lot of filler.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Juicy
Americans always are the first to say "go get checked out by a doctor". (please relax folks ... just a little joke about the stereotype that Americans love to sue everyone)
Not Americans, U.S. insurance companies.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by oblu
Unibody, the entire car is the "frame". When they're talking about alignment, they're talking about the subframe pick up points; if those are moved out of spec then the "frame" is bent.

No matter what, with any unibody impact there's going to be cutting, welding, sanding and a whole lot of filler.
yea, that's why its better to fight for a total if you can. Sorry to say but after an accident like that the car will never feel the same and whether its totaled or sold after fixing, hopefully its not too much money out of your own pocket.

hey, if this drags on for few more months, you can get urself a 2009.

anyways, the important thing is that you were uninjured (hope so)
Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM

2008 W204
Glad that you're ok!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Bummer glad to hear that you are ok. I hd the exact same thing happen to me last monday, my car was a 203 wagon, 6 months old I was glad the car did as designed and my wife and I were unhurt, big thumbs up for the mercedes design team. You can see photos ofmy damaged car here https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/234004-sold-my-soul-dark-side.html my car was written off.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM

2008 Calcite white C350, Command system, 3M clear bra, tint 30%
Sorry to hear about your accident. The important thing is your ok, like everyone is saying, get checked out by a doctor. You may not feel the effects of whiplash until weeks later.

Hope your insurance can pay for a brand new car.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

'08C300 White w P2,MM,Pano
That sucks.. but atleast your in one piece... haha i just got what it said on the license plate..... hope it all gets fixed... and black is a really hot color.... what exit were you on? i drive it everyday and people always come right up to the bumper when you have that fast---full stop traffic...i hate it!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:23 PM

W212 2011 E-350 4Matic
Oh man... it always sad to see these photos
especially so close by

definatly get your neck checked even if your not in pain

that shot of your car piggie backed looks pretty bad.
but your in good shape and thats whats important. (it did its job)

I hate irresponsible drivers. you could be 150% aware and driving safely
its the others around you that are screwing the whole thing up.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Holy crap!! Did you get checked out by a doc? If not, do it ASAP or it could come back and bite you in the *** should anything come up from it.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM

'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
Thanks for the well wishes, guys.
I was actually rushed to the hospital right after the accident because I was in a lot of pain. I was given Motrin and released right away. The pain didn't subside so I ended up in the ER again the next morning, and then of course I contacted my lawyer and a lawsuit is in the works.
I'm still in pain but the Vicodin and Flexeril work wonders, and I'm going to have to start physical therapy.

About the car, well, "unfortunately" the damage is equal to about $20k, and the car is worth around $40k so they will end up repairing it, since the damage has to be 70% of the car's worth for it to be considered totaled. That kind of scares me, I don't really want to get back in that car. I did request to be sent a detailed list of every tiny thing that has to be done to the car. Is there anything else I should request?

Also, I was told that the repairs will definitely take a while, as the car is an '08 and the parts are not readily available, and they must be ordered from Germany. And Merc doesn't give loaners for this kind of stuff, so I'll be stuck with an Enterprise car.

I have to say, the car is built well. When I was hit, the car went into neutral on its own and the headrests popped out. I felt really safe inside, and I don't think I'll ever drive anything other than an MB.

I just wish I could have had it totaled instead of repaired.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 PM

'08C300 White w P2,MM,Pano
I was actually rushed to the hospital right after the accident because I was in a lot of pain. I was given Motrin and released right away. The pain didn't subside so I ended up in the ER again the next morning, and then of course I contacted my lawyer and a lawsuit is in the works.
I'm still in pain but the Vicodin and Flexeril work wonders, and I'm going to have to start physical therapy.

About the car, well, "unfortunately" the damage is equal to about $20k, and the car is worth around $40k so they will end up repairing it, since the damage has to be 70% of the car's worth for it to be considered totaled. That kind of scares me, I don't really want to get back in that car. I did request to be sent a detailed list of every tiny thing that has to be done to the car. Is there anything else I should request?

Also, I was told that the repairs will definitely take a while, as the car is an '08 and the parts are not readily available, and they must be ordered from Germany. And Merc doesn't give loaners for this kind of stuff, so I'll be stuck with an Enterprise car.

I have to say, the car is built well. When I was hit, the car went into neutral on its own and the headrests popped out. I felt really safe inside, and I don't think I'll ever drive anything other than an MB.

Glad everything is working out... but since you have to get it repaired instead of getting a new car, is it possible to send it to a mercedes benz dealer for the repair... i dont know of any but anyone on this forum know of any mb dealer that deals w/collision? This is irrelivant, but i know bay ridge lexus does collision repairs for Lexus' so im assuming theres gana be an mb dealer that does it.

Anyways.. keep us posted on how the repair turns out!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM

2016 C400 4Matic

See if you can send your car to MB of Manhattan since they are the only factory-owned dealership and possibly will help in the repairs, and might even total the car with their calculations
Old 03-08-2008, 11:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Reduced value

<<Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

I just wish I could have had it totaled instead of repaired.>>

You are also entitled to collect on reduced value which will probably be substantial.

It's easy to find out how much. Just ask the sales manager at your dealer what the comparative trade in value would be for a car that had been in a $20K accident versus no accident damage.

It will be a big number.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
i think i saw your car at the dealer in massa...... pretty bad hit... glad your ok! Too bad they cant salvage it out...

tell them your trunk spoiler flew off in the accident... lol...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Accident :(