C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Protection from the sun and other stuff! HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4matic
There are similar Eagle One products that also sound good:

http://www.eagleone.com/
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
The the two warring factions: I think it's just a small misunderstanding. Hey now, we're all tryin to be helpful to each other here, I think. That's all. "Why can't we all get along?"

In any case, I've never polished a car. How difficult is the process? Is that something a newbie should/can attempt? Are there any special equipment required, or is it just a solution/paste that I apply with a microfiber towel or a buffing machine?

Same questions go for the sealing. What? Never even heard of this before. Any tips/explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help as always!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by AsianML
Charcoal and diamonds are allotropes of carbon, iirc. The atoms are bonded differently.
yea, charcoal also contains additives to hold the coal minerals in shape and burn easily. I think he meant coal vs diamonds. Anyways, i think its pointless to explain to someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of physics let along distinguishing between organic and physical chemistry...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM

528i, GLK
narky,

Totally agreed.

check out this forum for autodetailing... http://autopia.org/
Few members here also posted some good sites and info, do a search on the forum.

I use a DA (dual action polisher by porter cable) its easy to use and harder to screw up with an orbital (although not as powerful)

What you need to know is when to spot the breakdown of the polish, this is when you can consider the surface "polish" Your best bet is to search for "dual action polish" or "polishing" on youtube.com. Lots of good video there to show you the process, gives you a visual understand which should help.

have fun and enjoy!

EDIT: As for your tree sap problems, what you can do is keep a Meguiars quick detailer spray and microfaber tower in your car, do a wipe down as soon as you see them (provided you wax'ed the car) But if you are lazy, grab a california duster and dust them off until your next wash. The best thing is ofcourse, a garage.

Last edited by webada; 03-12-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
There are similar Eagle One products that also sound good:

http://www.eagleone.com/
yea, Eagleone is one of the first to market a nanoparticle wax. I like their products, its relatively cheap and easy to find. Provides very similar results compared with the big papas in the industry (mothers, meguiars, turle..)

The nanoparticle tech in benz works very differently tho. First of all its cermaic particles instead of silica. Second, they actually align and crosslink themselves to form a uniform (gives better optics) and tougher layer of particles. This is truely what being nanotech is all about, not just tiny microparticles filiing up spaces.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by webada
yea, charcoal also contains additives to hold the coal minerals in shape and burn easily. I think he meant coal vs diamonds. Anyways, i think its pointless to explain to someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of physics let along distinguishing between organic and physical chemistry...
That's the charcoal you buy at the supermarket, coal contains more impurities that charcoal but let's just leave it at that because if it's one thing you got right, it's this is all off topic, so back on the topic: clay bars are abrasive, and that's a verifiable fact. They have to be used very carefully and only when really needed.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Data. More data.

<<In any case, I've never polished a car. How difficult is the process? Is that something a newbie should/can attempt? Are there any special equipment required, or is it just a solution/paste that I apply with a microfiber towel or a buffing machine?>>

Since you have not done this before, you need to collect reliable information, a bit of which has been offered here.

May I suggest you go to www.griotsgarage.com, look it over, and then call them at 1-800-345-5789 and ask for a free catalog. They sell a very good random orbital polisher, as one source. I've been using a Porter Cable 7424 for about five years, now. They sell their own brand of clay and point out that it does not strip off wax or sealant.

Nearly every weekend they put on a training demo at their headquarters (Tacoma WA) for all the interested local car clubs. I have attended both Porsche and BMW several times (mostly for the coffee and doughnuts) but the largest turnouts are the BMW club days. I haven't attended any of the Ferrari days because I own no red clothing.

Griot's has also put on demonstrations in other parts of the country.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Thanks for the help, all.

I've actually run into autopia.org while researching the car, but had forgotten about it. Will check it out.

And Griots Garage! I've heard about the quality of their products, although from where, I have no clue. Thanks for the tip.

More fun things to do for me!

Call me weird, but I actually enjoy washing cars. I wouldn't feel as such if I worked at a car wash, I guess? But I enjoy the process: the methodical wiping, the intermittent spraying, the drying, and, of course, the transformation that takes place. For me, the end makes it all worthwhile.

And now I can add two more steps to that process. We'll see if I enjoy sealing and polishing as much.