C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HD Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
HD Radio

A local rock station (oldies, moldies, and some more recent stuff) is claiming it's now broadcasting in HD. I did some looking around and found that there is, indeed, a newer broadcasting method called HD and it can be over-the-air.

What's interesting is that this station is much richer, and the stereo is much better, than the other stations around. Maybe it's also louder and maybe that makes a part of the difference.

So, anyway, I've got the MM and the H-K radio. The sound is normally great and this station is very good.

Is this radio HD compatible? Is any MB radio HD compatible?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
no, requires a separate module, trust me you are not missing anything... walmart can't give them a way(HD Radio Tuners) also why FM modulate a suposed digital signal... you are right back to sub par FM.?!?!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Right MB doesn't seem to offer HD radio in any car.

No radio station I would ever want to listen to broadcasts in HD, so I have no use for it anyway.

I think BMW has HD radio available.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by mac911
I think BMW has HD radio available.
I'm sure you are right because I know that HD radio is an option in the Mini Cooper (which I looked at before deciding on the C-Class).
Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
HD radio is the same quality as satellite radio, it just has comercials on it, although the same could be said of Sirius as they tend to talk over songs and advertise for other promotions going on. No the radio in the MM package won't fully receive the full HD signal as of right now BMW seems to be the only manufactor really backing this format, but that will all soon change. The reason Walmart can't give them away as the other poster stated is because they are giving away all their Sirius junk ha ha. No really, the reason is because there are only a handful of stations broadcasting in HD radio in certain areas. This will all change starting next year when tv stations are required by law to change formats and drop the analog signals. It will only be a matter of time before radio follows suit and changes from analog to HD as well. Its a new technology and as with all new things it takes awhile for people to realize what it is, how to use it, and if it will benefit them. I can see in the near future the government stepping in and requiring all radio stations to go HD just as they are doing with television, so give it time. The great news...satellite sound quality...and its free!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I'm pretty sure HD radio radio sounds nice, but it's such a nice cause you need your station and the equipment.

Satellite radio is garbage in terms of quality, I love the variety, but quality is miserable. FM is usually better than the Sirius.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Sport Sedan Manual, Uridium Silver, 18" AMG's
This is correct. HD has not quite caught on yet and the programming is still in it's infancy.

The Radio industry is really counting on HD as an important part of it's future along with on-line streaming and web features.

HD stations are digitally broadcasted on piggyback "side channels", being broadcasted along with their regular broadcast signals.

You can hear many of these actual HD channels for free ng on your line at

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio/
Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 PM

08 C300 Sport
Thanks for the link.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
HD radio is the same quality as satellite radio, it just has comercials on it, although the same could be said of Sirius as they tend to talk over songs and advertise for other promotions going on. No the radio in the MM package won't fully receive the full HD signal as of right now BMW seems to be the only manufactor really backing this format, but that will all soon change. The reason Walmart can't give them away as the other poster stated is because they are giving away all their Sirius junk ha ha. No really, the reason is because there are only a handful of stations broadcasting in HD radio in certain areas. This will all change starting next year when tv stations are required by law to change formats and drop the analog signals. It will only be a matter of time before radio follows suit and changes from analog to HD as well. Its a new technology and as with all new things it takes awhile for people to realize what it is, how to use it, and if it will benefit them. I can see in the near future the government stepping in and requiring all radio stations to go HD just as they are doing with television, so give it time. The great news...satellite sound quality...and its free!
A correction. The law requires "most" TV stations to stop broadcasting in analog - not all stations. Also, the law does NOT require them to switch to HD - only that they stop in analog and start in SD (standard digital). To be clear, that generally means that they have to broadcast in 480p - not 720p or 1080i/p (common HD). It is an all too common misconception that everything must go to HD - or that all stations must comply.

Also, it's very unlikely that the government will step in to stop analog radio anytime in the remotely near future. It has to do with the available spectrum and bandwidth. Just not a driving reason for radio.