C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Possible Problems W/ C350? Squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 - Black
I'm also getting this problem.. I usually hear it once my car is parked.. and I'm just pullin out my driveway and happens more so when I'm makin a slight left handed turn.. and just happened the first time thru Drive thru window the other day.. kinda odd for a new car.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by got_thang?
Yes the door pin in the back is missing iono why
my door pin is missing to, im going to go to the dealership and see if they can replace it for free.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM

2008 C-350 saks edition
I am having the same problem with my car. This squeaking noise seems to come and go and every time I take it to the dealer it doesn't make any noise. I got it fixed and they told me something was loose and it went away for a few months, happened again... The foreman actually told me to enjoy my car with the noise and it was normal.

I don't think that the dealers are going to be willing to find a solution to this problem. I'm totally disappointed in Mercedes.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 350 Obsidian Black
If it is a noise without brake application. Bring the dealers attention to Star Bulletin P-B-42.20/101a. This applies to some 204's with rear brake noise without the brakes being applied.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic
Oh my God, this is so annoying! I only have 500 miles on my new Benz and it creates the stupid squeaking sound when I roll slowly and/or decelerating slowly to a brake (both @ 5 mph). Has anyone figured out the problem yet? Did anyone try out WD40? I would, but I have no idea where the squeaking is coming from...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by MBHellBlaze
Oh my God, this is so annoying! I only have 500 miles on my new Benz and it creates the stupid squeaking sound when I roll slowly and/or decelerating slowly to a brake (both @ 5 mph). Has anyone figured out the problem yet? Did anyone try out WD40? I would, but I have no idea where the squeaking is coming from...
There's a TSB that addresses brake squeaking and excessive brake dust.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM

2009 c350
i have an 09 c350 with the same problem. Loud squeel from drivers rear wheel under minor acceleration from a stop. I have found that it happens more frequently when accelerating up a parking ramp or turning hard to the left. car is currently at dealership for the second time.. they seem to be unable to replicate the problem. Its random, has no rhyme or reason to it. but for some reason, whenever it gets to the dealer it wont do it.

does anyone have any suggestions for things i can tell them to look for?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Twice I have had a small piece of stone wedged between the flexible brake system metal guard & the rotor disc.

It made a loud disconcerting scraping sound , did no damage & was easily fixed by flicking the stone out with a screwdriver.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Has anyone found out what is causing this issue exactly? I too have this dreaded noise.

No, I am not pressing the brake, when I am driving at slow speeds (especially when turning left) it sounds like a hamster wheel that needs w-d40. It seems to get faster and faster with my speed related to the wheel and eventually go away when a certain speed is reached (or at least I can't hear it due to road noise)

It sounds terrible, like I am driving a POS! I am taking my car to the Mercedes dealership for service and I want to know if anyone knows the fix, because my dealership is notorious for saying (We can't replicate the problem).

As a side note, when I first got my car, around 2,000 mi I had a very severe rumbling that would shake the car when doing extreme left or right turns, it has gone away and was only in the cold weather. I don't know if its related?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Well I brought mine in a couple of months ago and the MB guy said it had something to do with the parking brake so they just re-adjusted it and I've been problem free so far! Now I know when people are staring at my car, it has nothing to do with squeaky noises

As for the shaking, I have not experienced that so I don't know what's causing that.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Alright, thank you very much. I noticed you live in westchester, which dealership do you use for service?

This has been happening for around a month now, should I worry about any damage or excessive brake pad wear and demand new ones under warranty or compensation?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Originally Posted by jctevere
This has been happening for around a month now, should I worry about any damage or excessive brake pad wear and demand new ones under warranty or compensation?
I think it has to be either just emergency brake adjustment or warped rotor(s), rather than pad problems. The extra dust may come from the extra friction which occurs.

Many moons ago, that noise was typical of large European luxury cars and big buses and trucks: when new brakes were installed the noise was the announcement that the brakes were new and being seated properly.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jctevere
Alright, thank you very much. I noticed you live in westchester, which dealership do you use for service?

Sorry for the delay. I go the White Plains dealership. And I don't think you should worry about any damage, it just makes a terrible high pitched squeal, which is probably just as bad...

Update: Just this week, I am starting to hear it occur again. It's not as loud, but it's starting to come back. I shouldn't be going to MB every time this happens, this needs to be permanently fixed or they should just give us a new car.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I took my car to Rallye for service A, cheapest I could find without going Indy, they only charged me $200 for the service (Other dealers wanted $275-$325)

I also mentioned the squeaking, they said they took the rear driver side tire off and checked for anything, they said they couldn't find the problem, and of course, that day I brought it, it wasn't squeaking... Go figure.

Maybe we can find a commonality. It started to squeak when I took the car "Off-Roading" so to speak. The ground was slightly different heights and had gravel stones. Perhaps a rock got caught somewhere? I don't know.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM

2014 E 550 Cabriolet. Black exterior with red interior, 2009 C 350. 2013 Toyota highlander.
Hi, i may be a bit offbase here...

My car has started to make a whistling screeching noise when i slowly move a car from stop, like moving when the signal turns green, It disappears if i speed up fast and doent happen all the time. But it is getting me a bit worried.

The sound comes when i have not engaged the brakes, infact there is no realation to brakes at all.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 PM

2009 C300 Sport
This seems to be a major problem with this model. It's making me not wanting to get a W204. I hope MB fixes this issue with newer models.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Carsy
Twice I have had a small piece of stone wedged between the flexible brake system metal guard & the rotor disc.

It made a loud disconcerting scraping sound , did no damage & was easily fixed by flicking the stone out with a screwdriver.
That description sounds a lot like what I heard. Sounds like the metal backing of the brake pads are scraping against the rotar. When checking brakes, there was plenty of pad left. Never really knew what caused it as it stopped the next time I drove the car.

Will know what to look for should I hear it again.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Gotta ask.

You guys that are having these squeeks, did you ever had a problem with the brake dust especially from the rear breaks?

I'm questioning if the replacement low/no dust pads may be causing this problem. The dust causing pads were in the 2008 models. Not sure if they were in the 2009s or not.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 PM

2014 E 550 Cabriolet. Black exterior with red interior, 2009 C 350. 2013 Toyota highlander.
Originally Posted by JimPap
Gotta ask.

You guys that are having these squeeks, did you ever had a problem with the brake dust especially from the rear breaks?

I'm questioning if the replacement low/no dust pads may be causing this problem. The dust causing pads were in the 2008 models. Not sure if they were in the 2009s or not.
Hi, i am not a very apt diy guy, but i think that my car does make a lot of brake dust. And i normally dont wash it off or get the tires cleaned when i take it to the wash ..... i figure that is just going to build up again, why waste money washing those ..... do you think the brakedust can cause this problem. Also how do i get rid of this dust, how about a high pressure water burst ? will that do the job ?

Again i am sorry but i am not really very apt in these things, tho i am hoping to improve
Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Sorry, but I may not have phrased that correctly.

My thinking is that the cars with the brake pads that generate a lot of brake dust aren't the ones with the squeek

Its the replacement pads that don't create the dust thatare in trouble.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by blastit
i hope that i dont get flamed for saying this, so here it is....

is there a possibility that this noise has something to do with the electronic brake assist? i remember when my dad got the e500 back in 2004 there was a recall for this. any info would be helpful.
The W204 does not use the reviled electronic brakes that the W211 E-Class was cursed with. Luckily.

And brake assist (BAS) is not the same thing.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I had the brake squeal just like all of you, but it has seemed to go away... I don't really know what it was, all I know is that it is gone now. If it comes back I will take it in that day and take a ride with my advisor to confirm the issue. And I will let you all know what it is. I encourage you all to do the same and let us know what the outcome is.

I have a 2009 w204, I never replaced my pads yet though and are still on the factory OEM ones. I do notice a bit of excessive brake dust (especially on the rear passenger side tire).
Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 PM

C300 Sports Sedan
I am having the same problem, I have taken my vehicle to the dealership in Fort Walton Beach, FL 3 times for the squealing noise.
They have taken the brakes off deglazed it twice and still the problem returns. Of course it does not make the sound when being dropped off for repairs. However, the Service Rep I work with heard the noise and knows it's not my imagination. If anyone figures out a fix please let me know.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM

2010 c300 Sport
I haven't seen anyone post on this in a while, and I figured I'd write in. I have a 2010 c300 Sport with about 15,000 miles on it. Many times (more so if it's been raining), I'll stop for gas or coffee and when I release my foot from the brakes and start to roll forward, I'll hear a squeak, squeak, squeak with every revolution until it goes away at about 3-4 miles per hour. It sounds as though it's coming from the front driver's side wheel, and it's loud enough that people turn their heads to look. It's embarrassing, and I even took a video of the sound in stop-and-go traffic one day. When I took it to the dealership, the could clearly hear it in the video but couldn't replicate it (and they couldn't find anything wrong). I don't think anyone else on this thread said it was coming from their front wheel, so maybe someone else is out their lurking with the same issue? Also, it becomes more pronounced if the car is turning to the left. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 c250
Originally Posted by Lynchpl
I haven't seen anyone post on this in a while, and I figured I'd write in. I have a 2010 c300 Sport with about 15,000 miles on it. Many times (more so if it's been raining), I'll stop for gas or coffee and when I release my foot from the brakes and start to roll forward, I'll hear a squeak, squeak, squeak with every revolution until it goes away at about 3-4 miles per hour. It sounds as though it's coming from the front driver's side wheel, and it's loud enough that people turn their heads to look. It's embarrassing, and I even took a video of the sound in stop-and-go traffic one day. When I took it to the dealership, the could clearly hear it in the video but couldn't replicate it (and they couldn't find anything wrong). I don't think anyone else on this thread said it was coming from their front wheel, so maybe someone else is out their lurking with the same issue? Also, it becomes more pronounced if the car is turning to the left. Thanks!
im having this same problem for my BRAND NEW C250. it started maybe 1500 miles so i took it in to get it fixed...they said there was a problem with the caliper springs so they upgraded them. was fine for about 2 weeks when the same noise started again. figured out it was coming from the driver side rear wheel so i took it in for service AGAIN. they said the brake pads were too close so they adjusted them. took the car home and THE VERY NEXT DAY the same sound started and it actually became worse. before it would happen after ive been parked for a long period of time but now, after any full stop and i get back on the gas it screeches like crazy. i called my dealership and *****ed about it so im having a meet-up wit service manager, parts tech.manager and some other supervisor. maybe if they cant get it this time, they will give me a new car.

if ur car is still under warranty i suggest u take it in to get it fixed...its embarrassing to drive a benz that sound like a 15 year old buick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible Problems W/ C350? Squeaking sound