C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I can't get over the seats, really starting to bug me..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I think the biggest problem with the W204 seats is lateral support. My W203 has much better grip when corning. I was suprised that the W204 sport sedan didn't have more griping seats than the luxury, both are pretty bad.

Btw, as a side note, my 2005 C240 now has about 42K miles and the drivers seat cushion is starting to get slightly mushed in where my legs are. You can sort of see in the middle of the seat that it looks higher like the foam is less condensed. Have any of you ever experienced this? And do you think this is something they would fix under warranty? I know that is kind of "wear and tear" but at 42K miles I don't think it should be doing this.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by CarGuru
Seriously guys I'm not making this stuff up, the seats are way too stiff and not forgiving at all, and the stiff sport suspension coupled with the 18" tires/ wheels is punishing for more than an hour on the road. Couple issues specifically, my wife likes the lumbar all the way out or forward. I like it all the way down or no extra support. This leaves a hard stiff back rest and flat lower portion equally as punishing. I'm probably over exaggerating a bit, I'm 30 y/o 5'6" fit I do manual labor all day so I'm in shape. I let my wife drive home this past weekend and couldn't find a comfy position in either in the passenger seat, also the pull out headrest deal is a poor design, it was more comfortable in the 90's & 80's when you could tilt the headrest forward so it would rest at the back of your neck. Seriously guys I've owned this car since it debuted and the honeymoon is over, I'm now starting to notice some rough edges and the seats are a big deal for me. I will say this when driving spiritedly they do well in supporting that type of activity but fail when you want to streatch out set the cruise control and relax.

-Ryan
Still sounds like you have the lumbar support in the wrong position. All the way down isn't the neutral position. That's what I was saying in my other post.

I've also found that tire inflation is critical on my 17s. A little over or under and the car rides rougher.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
only issue I have with my seats is that sometimes i feel like they are loose or that they move. when i get into my car & plop onto the seat (im only 150 lbs) the seat makes a clunk noise which makes it sounds like its loose.

Then on the highway, if i go over a big bump quickly, sometimes it feels like the botom portion of the seat moved up as if its loose... weird.

other than those complaints, the seats feel fine to me. However I liked my BMW E46 sport steats and my 996 sport seats better, the C350 has the least sporty seats of my last 5 cars.

BTW, i cant stand lexus/toyota seats.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I have loved the seats in the W204. Really been happy, but that is just me.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
The only complaint I have is that the seats aren't bolstered enough.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
This whole string of posts illustrates my point perfectly: NOTHING works for everybody.

As for Honda / Acura, I thought the seats in our '96 RL were perhaps the best of any car we've ever owned. We had two of the previous generation Accords ['98 and '01], and they were OK without being anything special. Toyotas in general, including most Lexus [except the LS], have seat bottom cushions that tend to be too short for me....the last Toyota with really great seats was the second generation Camry ['87-'91] - big, supportive, fully adjustable, even on the base car. The seat cushion kept shrinking with each succeeding generation on the Camry, and I need more thigh support.

The defining characteristic of MB seats has always been firmness - I find this best for long trips, but can understand those who don't. All the rest of it - size, shape, adjustments, materials - has been fine for me, whether we're talking about Cs, Es, or S-class. [I'm in reasonable shape, average weight, longer legs, but have had back spasm problems for over 30 years - muscles that I now know how to exercise to prevent the worst problems - and I have never felt anything but good about Mercedes' seats.]
Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by CarGuru
Seriously guys I'm not making this stuff up, the seats are way too stiff and not forgiving at all, and the stiff sport suspension coupled with the 18" tires/ wheels is punishing for more than an hour on the road. -Ryan
Not doubting you at all Ryan. Speaking for myself, I do not have the same problem with the seats as you have reported. I do hope you can find an adjustment that works for you.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
ive been running the seat heaters every time i sit in the car...it seems to cancel out any back pain. i'll even run it at the lowest setting on a hot day. works pretty good.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM

W204 C300
I have a 2006 FORD F150 for every day driving and a C300 for my weekend car and boy oh boy is the C300 much better then the ford. If i spend more then 20 min in the F150 I start getting uncomfortable. But as for the C so far no problems but Im only 23.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport, MM, P1
the seats are fine for me. i love the heated seats as well. maybe you just have to find a comfortable setting, or you can buy some extra padding.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I will have to see what I think over a longer period of time. I just picked up a C300 Luxury loaner this afternoon. I still think the dash plastic looks very cheap, but I like the way it looks at night and I like the ambient lighting in the footwells and door pulls. Sorry for being off topic.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Sport Obsidian Black; 2006 ML350 Iridium Silver
Well I have to admit, I just climbed out of my 06 ML350 into my new 08 C300 and there is a world of difference....I spend about 3.5 hours a day commute, and what I noticed is that the seats in the C300 are obviously much lower to the floor panels....and the seats are by far of lesser quality in build than the ML seats.....
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Closer to the floor

I have also noticed that these seats are far closer to the floor than other seats in other cars. Notwithstanding race cars, especially formula cars, these are very low seats.

I have the habit of drawing my left leg up to rest at the base of the seat while I drive. Been doing that for over 40 years. The C may kill that habit since it's very uncomfortable. So keeping the leg outstretched is the only comfortable thing, and with my "restless legs" that makes that position "uncomfortable." Can't win!

What I don't know is why those seats are so close to the floor. There's plenty of height inside the car, and the car is taller that other cars with a more normal seating position. Strange.

What I won't do is sit in the seat with the back laying down so things "fit better". I demand the ability to see things around me, and that works best for me when I'm sitting upright.

Can't win. On balance it's acceptable, if different.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
My suggestion would be to raise this issue with MBUSA. My expectation is the response would be the problem is your butt, not the seats.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
I always drive with the seat bottom raised as high as it will go, on every car I've ever owned. Set this way, I can't say I see any difference between the W204 and the W203, or any other MB sedan I can remember [except the S-class, where the seats are just plain bigger, and more adjustable]. No doubt you can get higher in one of the SUVs,

Still very happy with ours.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Hey, I'm 5'6" and this car (and airline seats) fit me just fine.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by delirium
only issue I have with my seats is that sometimes i feel like they are loose or that they move. when i get into my car & plop onto the seat (im only 150 lbs) the seat makes a clunk noise which makes it sounds like its loose.

Then on the highway, if i go over a big bump quickly, sometimes it feels like the botom portion of the seat moved up as if its loose... weird.

other than those complaints, the seats feel fine to me. However I liked my BMW E46 sport steats and my 996 sport seats better, the C350 has the least sporty seats of my last 5 cars.

BTW, i cant stand lexus/toyota seats.
I have the same issue...and I only weigh 110 lbs. I can feel the seat "clunk" when I hit a bump...and the seats are way worse than my 93' lexus ::;sigh::: I am just so ticked with this car...seat heaters don't work and I got the car at 53 miles =(

Last edited by HistoryGirl; 09-10-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl
I have the same issue...and I only weigh 110 lbs. I can feel the seat "clunk" when I hit a bump...and the seats are way worse than my 93' lexus ::;sigh::: I am just so ticked with this car...seat heaters don't work and I got the car at 53 miles =(
Wow, HistoryGirl is a great screen name as you have been finding some really old posts...lol.
Just kidding, people are usually giving Newbies a hard time for not searching for posts so I commend you!
You shouldn't be feeling a clunk in your seat so I am guessing the failure of the seat heaters and the "clunk" may be related. Be sure to tell your service advisor (SA) all those little details as it is sometimes like the cops trying to recreate a crime and the smallest seemingly unrelated detail could hold the key.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM

2010 C300
C300, Thanks!!! I was a history major - research is my favorite =) I didn't even look at the date - I will in the future. Thanks so much for all the great advice!!! I just thought I had my seat too low, as I'm 5'7 and like to ride low (like a go-cart style...hah. Probably because my first car at 16 was a manual saturn...and it truly felt like a go-cart with a lid.

I have an appt. on the 21st and I will make a note of all of the things you mentioned and get it resolved!

You're a lifesaver! Thanks =)

ETA: I have made some really silly mistakes with this car...I was so embarrassed when I asked why the passenger airbag was off..I hadn't had a passenger in it yet and had no idea it automatically used the weight sensor to determine if the airbag should be on or off. I almost died of mortification when the SA told me it was supposed to be like that. I usually pride myself on reading everything, etc., but I hadn't gotten through the manual yet. LOL! I still can't figure out how to get my interior light to come on at night when I open the door. Thank goodness for the illuminated door sills. Gawd. Will crack the manual today. At least I can laugh at myself, but I'm so grateful for this forum! lol

Last edited by HistoryGirl; 09-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Silver 1996 C36
I bought mt C300 with the AMG upgrade option. The seats are firm and wonderfully supportive. They have good side bolstering and adjustable in every direction for just about any body requirement.

The only way to fully appreciate the wonderful engineering of the Mercedes seats is to drive the car for 4 to 8 hours...then you realize that firm supportive seats are leagues ahead of mushy soft non-supportive seats in providing a fatigue minimizing ride and vastly superior comfort.

No engineering detail in a Mercedes car is an accident...every little detail is debated, agonized over, tested and planned. If something seems sub-optimal, just wait a little while and you will find that you are not even asking the right questions.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl
C300, Thanks!!! I was a history major - research is my favorite =) I didn't even look at the date - I will in the future. Thanks so much for all the great advice!!! I just thought I had my seat too low, as I'm 5'7 and like to ride low (like a go-cart style...hah. Probably because my first car at 16 was a manual saturn...and it truly felt like a go-cart with a lid.

I have an appt. on the 21st and I will make a note of all of the things you mentioned and get it resolved!

You're a lifesaver! Thanks =)

ETA: I have made some really silly mistakes with this car...I was so embarrassed when I asked why the passenger airbag was off..I hadn't had a passenger in it yet and had no idea it automatically used the weight sensor to determine if the airbag should be on or off. I almost died of mortification when the SA told me it was supposed to be like that. I usually pride myself on reading everything, etc., but I hadn't gotten through the manual yet. LOL! I still can't figure out how to get my interior light to come on at night when I open the door. Thank goodness for the illuminated door sills. Gawd. Will crack the manual today. At least I can laugh at myself, but I'm so grateful for this forum! lol
Manual Saturn = Go Kart...sounds about right...lol

Yea, if you were in an early 90s Lexus I guess a lot of this stuff would be new.

As far as your interior light, try to "off" button in the center of the "button cluster" on the front overhead light panel. That should do it...Oh God I hope that's not broken to....
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by OzC36
I bought mt C300 with the AMG upgrade option. The seats are firm and wonderfully supportive. They have good side bolstering and adjustable in every direction for just about any body requirement.

The only way to fully appreciate the wonderful engineering of the Mercedes seats is to drive the car for 4 to 8 hours...then you realize that firm supportive seats are leagues ahead of mushy soft non-supportive seats in providing a fatigue minimizing ride and vastly superior comfort.

No engineering detail in a Mercedes car is an accident...every little detail is debated, agonized over, tested and planned. If something seems sub-optimal, just wait a little while and you will find that you are not even asking the right questions.
The early 2008 C300 seats aren't that good. They improved them on the 2009s.

I suspect the AMGs given the cost have even better seats.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 AM

'09 C300 Sport 4Matic Arctic White
The seats could really use some side bolsters. Too bad the C63 seats aren't an option and are really expensive in the aftermarket, otherwise I'd be all over those.

I've taken multiple 8hr road trips between NY/CT and Canada over the past year and the lumbar support is fine. I have it pushed out to max and I have no back pain whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by fattysnax
Too bad the C63 seats aren't an option and are really expensive in the aftermarket, otherwise I'd be all over those.
Definitely, or the new E-class cabriolet seats with the vents by the neck
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 AM

'09 C300 Sport 4Matic Arctic White
Originally Posted by Strfry
Definitely, or the new E-class cabriolet seats with the vents by the neck
Those look fantastic too! Love the shape and it's actually got thigh bolstering.

I don't want to wish harm on any one, but can someone "safely" total their C63 and let me salvage their seats from the scrap yard? Anyone on the east coast will do ... kthx PM me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I can't get over the seats, really starting to bug me..