C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to Remove Shift Knob in W204?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic Sport
For those wondering, went with a black leather knob with an emblem to match the one on the hood. Got this from Jerry over at http://www.formymercedes.com he was real cool to work with.
Attached Thumbnails How to Remove Shift Knob in W204?-20130802_145542.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+
Just replaced my leather std one for a very cool 507 alcantara std one.

Must of been the easiest DIY install ever, less than 2 mins.

Massive thanks again to Matt for a great service in supplying the oem part and speedy delivery.

Matches the half alcantara steering wheel my Performance Pack Plus had anyway
Cheeky pic whilst in car at lights on iPhone after fitment
Attached Thumbnails How to Remove Shift Knob in W204?-image.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 AM

2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG PP (Weistec S3 Supercharged)
Just bought my new Carbon Fiber Knob!

I just bought my carbon fiber shift knob from Jerry at formymercedes.com and he was very good to work with (although it did take 9 weeks as opposed to about 4 that I was told to have it made). He was great though and I wasnt in a rush I just got the itch once it was ordered so I was anxious. These instructions look good. Hopefully not too much of a PITA ! But I guess if it wasnt a PITA then it wouldnt be worth doing....thanks for posting the instructions!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM

C300 Sport 08
Hey guys, Did anyone try to install this part #20426703009G60 Shifter Knob on c300 w204 08 ? Suppose to be this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131025262431?item=131025262431
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 AM

2014 G63 and 2014 C63 507
Answer

Originally Posted by phs
I just bought a shift knob and try to remove the original one. I have been able to slip the leather boot from the console just by slightly pushing the base of the leather boot towards the shift rod. By turning the leather boot inside out, I have been able to expose a plastic collar. The collar can be loosened by doing a quarter turn click clockwise(if you are looking at the shift rod from the top). Underneath is another plastic collar which secures four flanges against the shift rod. That is where I got stuck! I tried to turn this collar CW or ACW to no avail. The only thing I have achieved is an unnerving squeaking noise when I tried. I have research into other posts of this forum, but the only thing close to the W204 is the SLK but nobody mentioned anything about the second collar.

Please help!!
You have to remove the console where it says C S S+ M the. Loosen the plastic bolt under the shift knob very easy! Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by phs
Finally, I figure it out. The following is how I did it. Please be careful with the individual steps. Some of the parts are quite fragile. Do not hold me responsible for any damage to your car, ie. do it at your own risk.

This is how it can be done:-

1. The base of the leather boot is stapled to a rectangular plastic frame. Slip the leather boot from the console just by slightly pushing the base of the leather boot in(ie. the rectangular frame) towards the shift rod. The leather boot will easily slip out of the console.
2. By turning the leather boot inside out, a plastic collar will be exposed. This first collar can be loosened and drop to the bottom of the shift rod by doing an eighth turn clockwise(ie. if you are looking at the shift rod from the top). Underneath is a second plastic collar which secures four flanges against a groove around the shift rod. These four flanges form the base of the shift knob.
3. This is the tricky part. This second collar has to be pushed up against the shift knob away from the flanges in order to loosen the flanges from the groove around the rod. By now you should be able to pull the whole contraption, shift knob,the second collar and the shift boot out of the shift rod.
4. You still have the shift boot between the base of the shift knob with the four flanges and the second collar. By pushing the 4 flanges in, you should be able to disengage the collar from the base of the shift knob and free the boot.
5. With whatever aftermarket knob you have acquired, now you can installed the new knob without any problem.

I got a Birds-eye-maple/chrome knob from ForMyMercedes and it is an exact match to the factory trims.
It appears you are missing a step. I bought a carbon fiber shift knob.

Q. How do you remove the old shift knob from the leather boot and plastic ring?

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 10-17-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:38 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
What Am I Missing?

If you Look at the first piece the base becomes too stretched.

I can't fasten it with the chrome bottom piece.

Q. Do I just need another piece of hardware? It seems like it could work. I don't know what's missing.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 C300
I bought a new shift knob because I want to replace my oem one with a shorter knob.
I have my phone in a case with a magnet and the magnet mount is position where I want it.
Reason being, with my iPhone 12 pro mounted the way it is on my console, I always knock my phone down when I throw in reverse or park.
I have to mount my phone after I'm drive or takedown my phone/or move it around before I put it park... which is a hassle.

The knob I bought is threaded with a bunch of adaptors, but when I removed my shift knob, the post is squared and not threaded.
Is there a shorter knob that is a direct replacement without me needing to any additional modification to make threaded shift knob work?