Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Lamin-x headlight films >

Lamin-x headlight films

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Lamin-x headlight films

 
Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AkaSigFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,058
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Lamin-x headlight films

Anyone used these before? I like the tinted with the yellow fog lights. Are they noticeable or do they blend well?

http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/cata...28cf899f9b8091
AkaSigFreak is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak View Post
Anyone used these before? I like the tinted with the yellow fog lights. Are they noticeable or do they blend well?

http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/cata...28cf899f9b8091
I just ordered clear films from them...should be here tomorrow. I know lots of the BMW and Audi crowd use them. I have the clear ones on my Audi. They look great.

Not many MB'ers have them because of the grooves and curves on the lenses...it makes it difficult to install without forming bubbles...giving it a cheap look. I'm going to try to install it using a hair dryer, making the film a little easier to work in the grooves.

As far as the tint...couldn't tell ya.
itcrashed is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
trial0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 310/305
Posts: 672
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
ive got the tinted ones on my c300
trial0r is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Originally Posted by trial0r View Post
ive got the tinted ones on my c300
how difficult was it working it into the grooves? did you have to heat it up?
itcrashed is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I used clear .40 mil Armour Shield on my last car. 4 years later the headlights still look new. There are no grooves on the headlights, so installation took about 5 min.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mu9enx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento/San Gabriel/Riverside
Posts: 3,560
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' C32o


look at sig, nuff said.


ps, it was a apin to make it conform, and to this day, i still have bubbles and spots on them
Mu9enx is offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
trial0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 310/305
Posts: 672
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by itcrashed View Post
how difficult was it working it into the grooves? did you have to heat it up?
i didnt know enough about the stuff to realize that heating them up first would help with the grooves so i just installed them per the instructions that they came with.

what ended up happening was that the grooves were difficult to navigate and i got a lot of bubbles. but after about 4 weeks of parking in the sun all the bubbles are gone and the film is nice and tight over the headlight.
trial0r is offline  
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
delirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 634
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
is this stuff hard to take off when its time to change?
delirium is offline  
Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by delirium View Post
is this stuff hard to take off when its time to change?

No. An alcohol and water soultion releases it.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Reading about the damages to the fog lamps, I almost think I'd prefer just to put them on the fog lamps.
mac911 is offline  
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
just installed my 20mil clear films...
here are some pics.

the grooves were a pain in the ***! i managed to squeeze most of the bubbles out with the help of a hair dryer to soften up the film. hopefully the sun in the next few weeks will help.

the fitment was rather good. i only ended up trimming a mm or two from one edge. i managed to get it to stretch the perfect amount. i tapped it down from the flattest portion and worked my way to the most difficult areas (grooved areas and the city light area.) but it wasn't that bad...i just heated it up with a hair dryer and worked my way to the edges.

i remember how bad my audi films looked after the first day...and then after a week or two...voila...you wouldn't even know they were on.

you can see some of the clusters of bubbles in the grooved area...i hope they disappear:


a close up:


illuminated:


i don't have a pic, but the shields for the foglights are a bit small...our lights measure at least 3" in diameter, the shields are only 2". did anyone else have the same problem?

i didn't even bother with the side marker shields...they didn't fit quite well and i didn't want to trim. i figure, the reflector is easy to replace if it gets dinged up.

in any event...if the bubbles don't clear up i think it's still worth the protection...still much cheaper than replacing the entire headlight assembly in a couple of years! i hate all the pitmarks!

Last edited by itcrashed; 04-10-2008 at 11:52 PM.
itcrashed is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mu9enx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento/San Gabriel/Riverside
Posts: 3,560
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' C32o
Originally Posted by itcrashed View Post
just installed my 20mil clear films...
here are some pics.

the grooves were a pain in the ***! i managed to squeeze most of the bubbles out with the help of a hair dryer to soften up the film. hopefully the sun in the next few weeks will help.

the fitment was rather good. i only ended up trimming a mm or two from one edge. i managed to get it to stretch the perfect amount. i tapped it down from the flattest portion and worked my way to the most difficult areas (grooved areas and the city light area.) but it wasn't that bad...i just heated it up with a hair dryer and worked my way to the edges.

i remember how bad my audi films looked after the first day...and then after a week or two...voila...you wouldn't even know they were on.

you can see some of the clusters of bubbles in the grooved area...i hope they disappear:


a close up:


illuminated:


i don't have a pic, but the shields for the foglights are a bit small...our lights measure at least 3" in diameter, the shields are only 2". did anyone else have the same problem?

i didn't even bother with the side marker shields...they didn't fit quite well and i didn't want to trim. i figure, the reflector is easy to replace if it gets dinged up.

in any event...if the bubbles don't clear up i think it's still worth the protection...still much cheaper than replacing the entire headlight assembly in a couple of years! i hate all the pitmarks!
, my film isn't clear, but i'd rather leave it on then to have a broken lamp.

funny thing is, is when i ordered my foglamp film, they didnt send me the right size. call them and tell them it don't fit, and they will send you a sheeet which you will have to trim yourself. all you need to do is measure your foglamp, adding 1-1.5 inch so you can properly fit it.
Mu9enx is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'm tempted to pickup the tinted versions of the headlight and the 80% rear lamp films.

Has anyone tried the tinted headlights with those film?
imboom is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mu9enx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento/San Gabriel/Riverside
Posts: 3,560
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' C32o
Originally Posted by imboom View Post
Personally, I'm tempted to pickup the tinted versions of the headlight and the 80% rear lamp films.

Has anyone tried the tinted headlights with those film?
the first Lamin-X thread in the w204 forum had someone use the tinted film.
Mu9enx is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AkaSigFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,058
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I just ordered the tint kit with yellow foglights. I emailed lamin-x and they said "We actually just changed the kit in our systems to reflect the proper 3.5" round fogs. So you are all set to order. Hope this helps."
http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/cata...00a219f16843bd
This only applies to the Sport model

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 04-11-2008 at 01:59 PM.
AkaSigFreak is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:26 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
I called them this morning and told them that their original kit had the wrong lens shape. I told them that it was approx 3.5" diameter circle, not an oval.

Looks like they made the change right away! Chris, from customer service, said he'd send me a new set!
itcrashed is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mu9enx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento/San Gabriel/Riverside
Posts: 3,560
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' C32o
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak View Post
I just ordered the tint kit with yellow foglights. I emailed lamin-x and they said "We actually just changed the kit in our systems to reflect the proper 3.5" round fogs. So you are all set to order. Hope this helps."
http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/cata...00a219f16843bd
This only applies to the Sport model
Originally Posted by itcrashed View Post
I called them this morning and told them that their original kit had the wrong lens shape. I told them that it was approx 3.5" diameter circle, not an oval.

Looks like they made the change right away! Chris, from customer service, said he'd send me a new set!
Mu9enx is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
How much time do you guys spend installing them?

How bad can headlamps look after a few years without them? I've never noticed my cars deteriorating much, but maybe I didn't pay attention?
mac911 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
jstaneff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 648
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
On my last ride, I changed the headlight bulbs at about 7 years in because the lights weren't as bright as when new. New bulbs didn't do it. I took a careful look at the lens and realized that while they looked clear when wet, when dry they were all about pits and scattering light. That was when I decided that at some point I'd have to replace the lens, both sides.

I think the headlight films are worth it. My C has them.
jstaneff is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Do the films not harm the light at all and clear is 100 percent legal correct?
mac911 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
delirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 634
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
ya my last cars headlights turned pretty opaque due to pitting... looked like they were fogged up all the time.
delirium is offline  
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
itcrashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
I'm pleased to report the all the bubbles are gone only after 3-4 days of parking in sunlight!

I was a little worried that they would never disappear, cuz if you look at my pics, it looks like a did an awful job installing them.

And I already received my 3.5" foglight shields as well...it only took them 2 days to get them out to me.

...the best $60 I ever spent on any car!
itcrashed is offline  
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MIRAMAR,florida
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
Lamin-x headlight films for my c350

hey guys, was the film easy to install, im waiting for my shipmentany day now,and i am not that handy .
any step by step directions will be greatly and deeply appreciated.
franka2000 is offline  
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mu9enx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento/San Gabriel/Riverside
Posts: 3,560
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' C32o
it's very straightforward, and they even have a video up on youtube. you basically spray the headlight down with a spray bottle, then spray both sides of the film, and apply. the film is already pre-cut, so it's just a matter of aligning it and making sure to stretch it to cover evenly. you may have to use a blowdryer, but it's really a piece of cake.
Mu9enx is offline  
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Mu9enx View Post
it's very straightforward, and they even have a video up on youtube. you basically spray the headlight down with a spray bottle, then spray both sides of the film, and apply. the film is already pre-cut, so it's just a matter of aligning it and making sure to stretch it to cover evenly. you may have to use a blowdryer, but it's really a piece of cake.
What do you put in the spray bottle? A little soap with water?
mac911 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lamin-x headlight films


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: