C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Since no one has an answer to the door rattle question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Since no one has an answer to the door rattle question...

..has anyone taken off the door trim? (Either the wood or stainless steel inserts). Since that is the culprit of the rattle...I figure if it pops off..then I can put some felt or something behind it.

Anyone done it yet?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
really.

Originally Posted by Hazemonster
..has anyone taken off the door trim? (Either the wood or stainless steel inserts). Since that is the culprit of the rattle...I figure if it pops off..then I can put some felt or something behind it.

Anyone done it yet?

is that really the culprit of the rattle, my car does it too, but not as much.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Rattles

<<.has anyone taken off the door trim? (Either the wood or stainless steel inserts). Since that is the culprit of the rattle...I figure if it pops off..then I can put some felt or something behind it. Anyone done it yet?>>

This is a warranty repair. Why do you want to screw around with it? You break something and you get to pay for it.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Originally Posted by RLE
<<.has anyone taken off the door trim? (Either the wood or stainless steel inserts). Since that is the culprit of the rattle...I figure if it pops off..then I can put some felt or something behind it. Anyone done it yet?>>

This is a warranty repair. Why do you want to screw around with it? You break something and you get to pay for it.
+1 go to the dealer it's free.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I'm with them...let the dealer mess with it so when they break one of the trim clips they have to replace it and not you.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
When your car is under warranty, always take it to the dealer.
They have trained mechanics to resolve your issues....to your satisfaction, so why mess with it yourself?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 AM

2008 C300
Thanks for all the advice...but again..it's not really what I wanted to hear. If I take it to the dealer, and they deem that the rattle is being caused by the radio being too loud...do you think I want to hear them tell me, "Don't turn the radio up so loud"?

The existing door speaker is causing rattle while mid bass is playing. I'm pretty sure that they won't want to replace the whole door panel for that. And what happens if the next door panel has the same problem? It took about a month for this noise to get to the point where it is annoying the heck out of me.

When I put the slightest bit of pressure against the door panel...all is good. If I could find a way to make that happen, then I will be happy once again. It should be an easy fix, and someone here said he fixed it....I pm'd him, but he hasn't responded.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 AM

528i, GLK
I agree with others, this is warranty issue. Don't give up too quickly when the dealership turns you down. Problems such as this can be very elusive and dealership that doesn't pay attention to details or its customers will simply just dismiss it as "design flaw"

If you can't get your dealer to take action, then make a complaint to MBUSA. Some poster here posted some very positive experience with their customer service relations. I personally haven't had the chance (knock on wood) to go that far but I suggest that you give that a try if all else fails.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
I have this problem too and its very annoying. I have some tunes with a specific base tone that will make the doors rattle even at low volumes. I'll stop by the dealer when I have some time to spare.

Before going to the dealer, find a song that presents the problem at the lowest volume possible. It will really make it easier to show that it is not normal.

Whatever you do, dont do it yourself!! Even in the remote chance that you are able to take the door apart (and later assemble) without braking anything, and you find the source of the problem (very unlikely), what are you going to do?? Stick a pice of gum or something?? Don't frankenstain your benz!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Take it to the dealer!!! If they tell you not to turn it up, ask them why they put that much power into the sound system them.

But they wont say that anyway. It your right to listen to music anyway you want. If the car is equipted that way use it and tell them to fix it. That's not unreasonable so dont worry.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport | P2 | Panoramic Roof | 18" AMG | iPOD Integration Kit
I've taken my C350 Sport to the dealer twice to resolve this issue... The first time I asked them fix it during the complimentary ~3k service and again when service 'A' was due. It's gotten a little better, but has not been resolved completely.

Service 'A' was nice, by the way. Two new rear tires + service = $1,018... Nice.

I can't wait for service 'B'... $374 per tire for the Continentals... Someone did the math on this! OEM equipment 280 treadwear rated tires... You can get the same tires elsewhere much cheaper... Obviously the service department has become accustomed to having their older, wealthier clients buy the B.S. regarding tire replacement strategy... They tried to sell me the same story... I was quick to throw the B.S. flag out there!

I have to give them credit for the business strategy though. The scenario reminded me of when Chris Rock addressed the "Why don't they make the whole plane out of the stuff they make the 'little black box' out of..?" question. He used this example - "Think about it this way... Of course Cadillac could make an El Dorado where the bumper didn't fall off... But they ain't gonna do nothing that ******* dumb!"

I drive 100 miles a day round-trip to work. At this rate, I will replace the rears every six months (all four once per year). Pirelli and Yokohama have ultra-high performance tires in their current model lineup rated at 400... I haven't had time lately to do a little more research, suggestions?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to b**** and moan about it, really. I bought the car in November and now have 16.2k miles to date. I actually love the car and haven't once regretted my purchase.

One thing I do regret... Not burning the rears off before I had them replaced!

Last edited by EmCeeSmith; 05-18-2008 at 03:38 PM.