C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

has anyone got this...........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
has anyone got this...........

"K&N HIGH FLOW REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER, PANEL STYLE -- Height 1.25, Outside Length 13.688, Outside Width 5.188, A High Performance Air Filter Designed to Increase Horsepower and Acceleration, Offers High Air Flow With Excellent Filtration, Washable and Reusable, Fits Into The Existing Factory Air Box, With Manufacturer's Limited Million Mile Warranty"

K&N is good right???.......plus i heard that it takes 2 for our cars, is this true?

or are there any better ones out there?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
There's already a few threads about this. Search the forum next time before posting. And yes it does take 2. I heard rumors that it comes with too much oil on it or something and can mess up the Mass Airflow Sensor, although I also heard of many stories where it worked nicely and people had no problems.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Yes it is good to me personal, I have two in my CLK right now.....and there was another brand call Green Filter.. you can try if you want.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Yes your car will need 2, we currently have them on special at $85 please shipping for them.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM

W204
They are 45-55 bucks EACH at any autozone, pepboys, etc, DO NOT pay more than that! they are special order but usually come within a few days. K&N & Green have very few differences although Green has a line specific for racing. Because of the way the 204's or M272 engines in general are set up with the factory CAI's (kinda) A LOT of crap gets into the housings. Both the K&N and Green breathe better than paper but because so much debris gets through the filters and into the back of the housing I'm sticking with the stock paper filters until a foam filter is available. I've been tuning BMW's for years, always using Green filters. even being very careful, using VERY little oil, the filament on the MAF catches some of it over time. what happens when oil heats up? right, it burns...burning the filament on the MAF thus rendering it useless. you'll get a check engine light and it will screw with the O2 readings on 02 sensors forcing you to eventually replace those as well. Not to mention the MAF is located centrally and below the filter housings ov the v6's so gravity alone will become your enemy dripping any excess oil down. BMW e46 intakes, sucked upwards so the oil burning the filament wasn't as much of a potential problem although it happened on all three of my e46's, even with the DINAN intake on the M3. bottom line...they do allow better airflow, make for a slightly deeper tone but in the end, if your not constantly cleaning those filters and working on the engine regularly...stick with the OEM paper filters. FYI, the MAF will eventually go anyway. they are about $600 to replace and can be put in yourself within minutes. they are usually good for about 80k miles of regular street old lady driving.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Originally Posted by StickyZ
They are 45-55 bucks EACH at any autozone, pepboys, etc, DO NOT pay more than that! they are special order but usually come within a few days. K&N & Green have very few differences although Green has a line specific for racing. Because of the way the 204's or M272 engines in general are set up with the factory CAI's (kinda) A LOT of crap gets into the housings. Both the K&N and Green breathe better than paper but because so much debris gets through the filters and into the back of the housing I'm sticking with the stock paper filters until a foam filter is available. I've been tuning BMW's for years, always using Green filters. even being very careful, using VERY little oil, the filament on the MAF catches some of it over time. what happens when oil heats up? right, it burns...burning the filament on the MAF thus rendering it useless. you'll get a check engine light and it will screw with the O2 readings on 02 sensors forcing you to eventually replace those as well. Not to mention the MAF is located centrally and below the filter housings ov the v6's so gravity alone will become your enemy dripping any excess oil down. BMW e46 intakes, sucked upwards so the oil burning the filament wasn't as much of a potential problem although it happened on all three of my e46's, even with the DINAN intake on the M3. bottom line...they do allow better airflow, make for a slightly deeper tone but in the end, if your not constantly cleaning those filters and working on the engine regularly...stick with the OEM paper filters. FYI, the MAF will eventually go anyway. they are about $600 to replace and can be put in yourself within minutes. they are usually good for about 80k miles of regular street old lady driving.

wow! awesome product knowledge bro! this what makes forums worth it, much appreciated!
i really want to try them out anything to get a better burn ='s more HP and better gas milage. i just hate the fact that now i'll have to constantly monitor these, but thats the trade off.
in regards to oil dripping off the filter, they are re-washable, are you suppose to re-oil them after each time you clean them? i dont think ive ever re-oiled any of my other cars filters when i bought new ones???oh crap.....
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Why would anyone use oiled filters when you KNOW there is a pretty good risk that you're going to hurt a sensor, you know they allow more dirt into your engine, and you know the performance gains are going to be very small? Are you just bored?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM

W204
thats why i said what i said...if your constantly at the track, or working under the hood then yes, getting more cold air compressed into the engine is ideal and yes, these filters do that. you are supposed to oil them after every cleaning. its kinda what keeps the particles from filtering through the mesh but in reality a dirtier filter (K&N or Green) will be better at keeping crap from getting in but then in turn more restrictive to the airflow. most particles that are small enough to get past the filters burn up at combustion but after a while, like anything else it builds up. the oils on the MAF's are the problems. they do sell MAF cleaner. its cheap and works but these v6's in the 204's aren't made with easy access. i mean, its easy enough if you know what your doing but changing the air filter in a car HAS TO BE the easy thing you can do aside from starting it...not so much with the set up the way it is with m272's. hope it helps.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 AM

C200 AMG W204
K&N filter installed for 5 months now works perfect with the car ,wakes up the engine a little bit and has better sound coming from the engine too.
No problems so far.
Previous cars i just replace the filter with a new one intead of oiling them and beeing afraid if you oiled it correctly.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CE EXO
K&N filter installed for 5 months now works perfect with the car ,wakes up the engine a little bit and has better sound coming from the engine too.
No problems so far.
Previous cars i just replace the filter with a new one intead of oiling them and beeing afraid if you oiled it correctly.
Thats what I thought of doing, just changing the K&N's every 20,000km instead of reoiling them myself and accidentally mess it up. (20,000Km because thats how often we have to do the service maintenance's)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by CE EXO
At this price point, I'd do the same. I don't have the extensive knowledge that some other members here seem to have. Pay a little bit of money and feel better, I say.