C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Vibration from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration from engine

I have a C300 and it has done about 2,200km now.

I have been getting this vibration noise or exhaust rattling from the engine every time when I accelerate from stop or from coasting to pick up speed between 1,500pm and 2,500pm. The vibration could be felt through the gas pedal at times with this "ticklish" sensation on the foot.

At times, even when the car is coasting at a constant speed (45 mph), the engine sounds rough or noisy with this rumbling noise. Also, the vibration could be felt through the gas pedal.

Is this normal or has anyone has the same problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Nope, certainly not "normal" - ours is smooth and quiet pretty much all the time.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Mine is a C300 4-Matic Elegance mode model by the way. I brought it into the dealer and the forman test drove it and said it is normal. I am not convinced. Anyone else had similar issue? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by johff View Post
Mine is a C300 4-Matic Elegance mode model by the way. I brought it into the dealer and the forman test drove it and said it is normal. I am not convinced. Anyone else had similar issue? Thanks.
Yes, I have lately, and I know what you mean by "ticklish" There's no noise, nor is the engine rough, but I feel it through the gas pedal and after about an hr on the expressway, my foot is tingling, as if its gone to sleep. I can also feel it through the steering wheel buttons. I've spent hrs. trying to isolate it, but no luck. It's not speed or gear dependent.

The vibration is the same intensity at 20 or 130kph, first gear or "d". I have a 4matic too. It feels as if two parts are rubbing or fighting each other? Occurred to me that the 4 wheel drive is not in total synch? Ie. the front end is fighting the rear end. Dunno.

I am going to discuss this with the dealer. I hope he doesn't say its "normal", because I've owned lots of cars and none have done this. If he does, then I'm going to thrash the car till something breaks under warranty. Then I'll ask for a "normal" repair.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Sounds like it might have something to do with the AWD system, rather than the engine per se.

Ours is RWD, and is about as smooth as any car we've ever owned, including our S-class cars.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by keith100
Originally Posted by johff View Post
Yes, I have lately, and I know what you mean by "ticklish" There's no noise, nor is the engine rough, but I feel it through the gas pedal and after about an hr on the expressway, my foot is tingling, as if its gone to sleep. I can also feel it through the steering wheel buttons. I've spent hrs. trying to isolate it, but no luck. It's not speed or gear dependent.

The vibration is the same intensity at 20 or 130kph, first gear or "d". I have a 4matic too. It feels as if two parts are rubbing or fighting each other? Occurred to me that the 4 wheel drive is not in total synch? Ie. the front end is fighting the rear end. Dunno.

I am going to discuss this with the dealer. I hope he doesn't say its "normal", because I've owned lots of cars and none have done this. If he does, then I'm going to thrash the car till something breaks under warranty. Then I'll ask for a "normal" repair.
Yes, I agree with you, Keith. And I know what you mean. It is really obvious with the ticklish sensation when I accelerate from dead stop or accelerate from 60km/h to 80km/h. However, the steering wheel buttons of my car don't vibrate. Please keep us posted what your dealer has to say. Hopefully, it is not the "nature" of the AWD system.

I am bringing my car back to the dealer for a DIFFERENT issue next week. They have to tighten the front differential torque of the AWD system. I complained weeks ago to them that the front drivetrain is making a whining noise when the car is coasting at 70km/h. The foreman test drove the car and heard the noise.

They then sent an inquiry back to the Toronto head office for an instruction. The head office then sent back a response that they would like the dealer to tighthen the front differential torque first and see if it will resolve the whining noise problem. It appears to be a trial-by-error to me that Mercedes Germany has no real solutions to the problem.

I wonder what's next if the problem is not resolve? Are they going to take the car back to Germany and rip it apart and see where the deisgn fault is?

Last edited by johff; 06-22-2008 at 04:26 AM.