C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Compressor runs with AC Off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Iridium Silver Luxury Edition C300 4Matic
Question Compressor runs with AC Off.

When I get close to my destination, I usually turn off the AC compressor. I've recently noticed that it keeps putting out cold air. Is there a time delay in the AC compressor switch that keeps it on for a while when I turn it off?

Thanks.

Pierre
Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Hmm, why? I don't think I can honestly say that I've ever ran the ventilation system in these cars without the A/C turned on -- after all, it will only run it if/when needed and to also pull humidity out of the cabinet to prevent moisture/fogging of windows, etc.

Plus, I recall reading a while back that sometimes the W203 got a bit "moldy" inside the vents and leaving the A/C on helped prevent that.

Is there some benefit to turning it off?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by Bellavance
When I get close to my destination, I usually turn off the AC compressor. I've recently noticed that it keeps putting out cold air. Is there a time delay in the AC compressor switch that keeps it on for a while when I turn it off?

Thanks.

Pierre
i noticed this in my car too. it even happens when you start off with the AC off. not sure why it does this though.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Hmm, why? I don't think I can honestly say that I've ever ran the ventilation system in these cars without the A/C turned on -- after all, it will only run it if/when needed and to also pull humidity out of the cabinet to prevent moisture/fogging of windows, etc.

Plus, I recall reading a while back that sometimes the W203 got a bit "moldy" inside the vents and leaving the A/C on helped prevent that.

Is there some benefit to turning it off?
In my opinion ,Yes to save fuel & compressor wear & tear.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
You don't say where you are from. If you live in a climate where the defrosters have to work, then the compressor will run since it's used to keep the windows clear.... (Yes, I've run the A.C. when it was cold outside ... dumb, but true!).

Otherwise, the compressor may be off, but the coils in the A.C. are still cold enough that cold air will continue to come out since air blowing across them will naturally be cooled by them.

Now if you turn it off several miles away and it stay on, .....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
All Benzo ACs run on startup and after a few minutes of the switch. Dunno why, but they do.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Compressor

Thanks.

Pierre
In a way, yes. The AC compressor, unlike times past, does not use a clutch Instead, it is a variable swashplate compressor which means that when refrigerant flow (to lower the cabin temp) is called for by the car's main brain, the vanes in the compressor change their angle so as to pump more (or less) refrigerant through the system. When the AC is manually turned off, it takes a little while for the compressor to stop pumping. In the older cars, when the compressor clutch activated, the compressor went from zero speed to full speed (more or less) and that's why we used to be able to feel it turning on and off. And with a clutch, the compressor stopped instantly.

Now you don't feel compressor speed changes at all. I learned about this because my 2001 C320's AC seemed like it wasn't shutting off immediately and it was just the slow shutdown of the compressor.

Warming up the cold system is a small part of it but the main thing is how fast the R134 refrigerant stops flowing.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 AM

This is very interesting. I timed it yesterday, and it continued cooling for 5 minutes after I had turned the A/C off.

Pierre

Originally Posted by RLE
In a way, yes. The AC compressor, unlike times past, does not use a clutch Instead, it is a variable swashplate compressor which means that when refrigerant flow (to lower the cabin temp) is called for by the car's main brain, the vanes in the compressor change their angle so as to pump more (or less) refrigerant through the system. When the AC is manually turned off, it takes a little while for the compressor to stop pumping. In the older cars, when the compressor clutch activated, the compressor went from zero speed to full speed (more or less) and that's why we used to be able to feel it turning on and off. And with a clutch, the compressor stopped instantly.

Now you don't feel compressor speed changes at all. I learned about this because my 2001 C320's AC seemed like it wasn't shutting off immediately and it was just the slow shutdown of the compressor.

Warming up the cold system is a small part of it but the main thing is how fast the R134 refrigerant stops flowing.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Also every time the window defrost is use the a/c compressor is activated
Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Yeah, when I'm about 10 minutes from home I turn off A/C and then about halfway home, the compressor turns off. Fine with me.

Also, I try to turn it off before turning car off, so that the A/C doesn't automatically come on the next time I start the car, if I don't need it, I don't use it cause it does save a little fuel.

Also, auto climate control can work even with A/C off, like in the winter, it works fine.

In the summer, auto without A/C, just blows the fan really hard at you, but sometimes I do that too trying to save fuel. ha-ha.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM

For "cooling" without A/C...

For "cooling" without A/C, I lower fan speed manually (you have buttons for slower/faster) and turn the thermostat to Cool.

Pierre

Originally Posted by mac911
In the summer, auto without A/C, just blows the fan really hard at you, but sometimes I do that too trying to save fuel. ha-ha.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
For "cooling" without A/C, I lower fan speed manually (you have buttons for slower/faster) and turn the thermostat to Cool.

Pierre
Too much work.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM

I agree it's work, but it's sometimes nice to feel air that hasn't been cooled, mainly in the Spring and Fall, along with an open sunroof.

Pierre

Originally Posted by mac911
Too much work.