C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Edmunds Long-Term Road Test 2 (Cruise control)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 07:28 AM

i like to ride my bike
actually not, because i feel the stalk is way too high to hit it accidently.
that is on an r170 though!! my dads bmw though makes me mad. the stalks are the other way round and work differently too! you don't push up to go faster, you push it forward...which is actually better. but the two stalks are
ways too close and don't have the right touch either.
Old 06-28-2008 | 08:25 AM

2008 Steel Grey C300 Sport 6MT
When I first bought the car I did this a few times (hit cruise control instead of turn signal).

After the first 30 minutes of driving and making the mistake 3-5 times it has never happened again.

I thought it would be annoying but you get used to it so quickly it hasn't been a problem for me.
Old 06-28-2008 | 12:43 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I've never had a problem hitting the cruise instead of the turn signal. The cruise control stalk has been in the same position on Mercs for at least the past 20 years. I also like not having a separate on/off button to control the cruise control - that simply seems redundant to me.
Old 06-28-2008 | 02:28 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by skillz1318

After the first 30 minutes of driving and making the mistake 3-5 times it has never happened again.

Well, if this is your only car, this will be rather true. But for those of us who have multiple cars, moving back and forth to different setups eliminates the learning quickly. It means that I have to "relearn" where the turn signal is after I've driven a different car for a while.

What we need, not just MB, but all cars, is a standard for controls. And maybe MB needs to be part of a standards committee so they can see just what those standards might be. If they have a better idea, sell it to the whole automotive community. As for example, we have a "standard" for the automatic transmission operation, but MB is changing that on S and the new E class? Why? Exclusivity is good, I guess, but it can be dangerous, especially if I think I'm putting on my left lane-change signal, but hit the wrong stalk and become an impediment to traffic.