C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Upgrade to the Multi-media package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Eh.... not an hard-core audiophile so the upgraded MM sound system was bleh to me. The screen would have been nice, but heck, I keep that console thing closed more often than not. GPS I get through my Sprint Mogul phone's Telenav so not a big deal. Only thing that would have been cool would have been VIM and playing music videos instead of just music. The videos would be for passengers instead of me of course. If I ever feel the need, I can always go aftermarket. I hate it how dealers bundle packages. If there was a package for just the screen, I would have bought it.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
guys please keep hope alive aleast until one of us try to see if the screen will fit.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by RickP330
Got some translating going on.... Thanks for the link, how the heck did you come up with that?

Rick
Did a search for w204 at ebay.co.uk then went to international sellers. I think it was on the third page. Ther are two other complete and one partial one.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
you guys can translate with google
Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300 Sport
Sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions, it just gets on my nerves when someone buys a beautiful car and does not spend a few extra dollars for some of the options. And I had meant all vehicles in this price range, not just mercedes benz even though thats how it sounded. As for me, I need 4matic which is why I didnt go for the 350 and trust me if I wanted to I could have easily afforded an S-Class but to me thats just not practical spending so much on a vehicle whether you can afford it or not. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I agree with most, some people get no options whatsoever, and it's still a great car! Bluetooth, dual zone climate control, etc. Those are neat things.

I didn't get MM cause there wasn't one on the lot, plus it did save some money at a time, when they weren't discounting much.

I don't miss the Nav, but the sound and screen would have been nice.

However, at least my next car I can look forward to those gizmos, and I can keep some money now, why not? Would $3,000 killed me, of course not, but since I don't have the MM, at least I have the $3,000.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:12 AM

C320 CDI Elegance
Originally Posted by R0CK632
Hate to say it but if your buying a Mercedes Benz and cannot afford some basic options, then you are living outside your economic means and should not have bought a Mercedes to begin with, but thats just my opinion .

This is an outrageous comment and well out of line. Until you have the car, sometimes it's difficult to know which options are worth having or are mere gimmicks. Also as most before me have said, some people just can't wait for a factory order.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 AM

C320 CDI Elegance
For those who only want the flip-up screen, you can retro fit it and it's quite cheap to buy at about $100 (see link below), but I'm not sure whether or not you need the command headunit for it to operate?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Mercedes-navigati...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry but we all need to learn German. BTW www.ebay.de is a great hunting ground.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Sorry if I offended anyone
Hey, no problem - but this topic (why we bought our cars) is one for a different post. The matter at hand is if it's possible to install these components.

Does anyone know if this would be a plug and play type of installation? i.e. is the wiring required already installed in the dash? Otherwise we can really forget it.

What about just the navigation display screen option - without the MM? I am getting more and more confused now - don't you need the MM package (40Gb hard drive) to store the maps or is that all self contained in the screen package?

will the voice commands work with this package if we install it?

Do I still need an Ipod adapter to work with this if I install it?

I know alot of questions, but if anyone can chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Rick
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
As a recent owner of a Merc having the COMMAND APS option (P2 package I think in the US), I must say that the only usage I make of the folding screen is when I want to navigate to an unknown destination. Since this happens rarely, the screen is most of the time switched off. I just prefer the clean look of the dash when the screen cover is on. So, for me, it's definitely a gadget option except from the NAV.

BTW, does anyone know how to switch the radio off without switching the full unit off and therefore avoiding loosing the Bluetooth connection ? On the other day, I just couldn't turn the damn sound off (radio, MP3 DVD) and so I started playing with the commands finding out that if you cycle through the different audio sources and one is not ready to play (no DVD-Video disc inserted, for example), then the music stops. You can also mute the damn thing but apart from that, anyone know of different options to silence the COMMAND APS ?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I was thinking the same as you a few weeks ago. I was driving at night with my Wife and Daughter asleep I needed the Navi since I was far from home and didn't know the area. The only way to keep the Navi and have silence was to mute the stereo, works but there has to be anouther way.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 AM

C320 CDI Elegance
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I was thinking the same as you a few weeks ago. I was driving at night with my Wife and Daughter asleep I needed the Navi since I was far from home and didn't know the area. The only way to keep the Navi and have silence was to mute the stereo, works but there has to be anouther way.
AFAIK, muting it or switching off entirely are the only 2 options. I've looked in the manual and everything. It's no big deal really to just hit on mute.
One other alternative, is to select the Hard disk menu if it's empty. That way nothing plays.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM

C320 CDI Elegance
Originally Posted by dragonii
I just prefer the clean look of the dash when the screen cover is on. So, for me, it's definitely a gadget option except from the NAV.
That's one advantage of the c-class and flip-up screen. You get 2 looks for the price of one! You can choose the look of your dash depending on your mood.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM

C350
Originally Posted by The Mercster
For those who only want the flip-up screen, you can retro fit it and it's quite cheap to buy at about $100 (see link below), but I'm not sure whether or not you need the command headunit for it to operate?

Sorry but we all need to learn German. BTW www.ebay.de is a great hunting ground.

Great find!! This is exactly what I want. What are your guesses on whether this will work or not on a non-Nav by just plugging it?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 AM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by dragonii

BTW, does anyone know how to switch the radio off without switching the full unit off and therefore avoiding loosing the Bluetooth connection ? On the other day, I just couldn't turn the damn sound off (radio, MP3 DVD) and so I started playing with the commands finding out that if you cycle through the different audio sources and one is not ready to play (no DVD-Video disc inserted, for example), then the music stops. You can also mute the damn thing but apart from that, anyone know of different options to silence the COMMAND APS ?
I just push in the round button on the radio itself. Acts as an on/off for the radio. (Tuner/volume button?)

The other use I get from the MM is that seems to be the way to switch the radio back and forth from Sirius to regular FM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by The Mercster

For those too lazy, here's the babel fish translation...

Navigation/radio display kinetics Mercedes new C-class (W204) with mobile screen. They offer here on an original special fitting the new C-class which as radio /Navig /TV display genutz will can. It concerns only the kinetics component with in and extendable 7 “color display without radio and without software. For Tuning fans those are change-technically talented are it certainly quite possible this part also in other vehicles to be blocked. Since this is a private sale, no guarantee or cancelling possible.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:58 PM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Hey,
It seems to me that no one really knows if this going to work or not? you know I think the Euro conversion is 1.6 to 1 putting the kit at $4800.00 USD. If we had the P/N's couldn't we just order it from Mercedes? I don't think it would cost as much....
RickP
Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by RickP330
Hey,
It seems to me that no one really knows if this going to work or not? you know I think the Euro conversion is 1.6 to 1 putting the kit at $4800.00 USD. If we had the P/N's couldn't we just order it from Mercedes? I don't think it would cost as much....
RickP
ugh.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
If this can be done, and if someone does it first, I would consider changing the screen. I never listen to music while driving and always keep the cover closed, but I just want to have the gadget-y moving screen.

And I think it's just stupid that the stereo cannot be just on and not playing anything. The only "solution" I've found is to switch it to CD (I have non-MM) and pull out the CD inside. How stupid.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Salient points

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
For those too lazy, here's the babel fish translation...

Navigation/radio display kinetics Mercedes new C-class (W204) with mobile screen. They offer here on an original special fitting the new C-class which as radio /Navig /TV display genutz will can. It concerns only the kinetics component with in and extendable 7 “color display without radio and without software. For Tuning fans those are change-technically talented are it certainly quite possible this part also in other vehicles to be blocked. Since this is a private sale, no guarantee or cancelling possible.
Please observe the important points. It's the screen unit and button unit only with no radio. The part about being technically talented should be read several times and the part about no guarantee or cancellation is the most important.

And I'll tell you one more thing. The wiring is not there.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
Sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions, it just gets on my nerves when someone buys a beautiful car and does not spend a few extra dollars for some of the options. And I had meant all vehicles in this price range, not just mercedes benz even though thats how it sounded. As for me, I need 4matic which is why I didnt go for the 350 and trust me if I wanted to I could have easily afforded an S-Class but to me thats just not practical spending so much on a vehicle whether you can afford it or not. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
In all honesty, i was first offended but this post made it better, as far as my opinion on the matter, I got a C300 with Command NAV, however I did NOT get the premium package because I didnt think i would care for rear sunshade, memory seats (im the only driver) and the HK sound, but now that I have my car I kinda wish the sound had a bit more kick to it.

Reality is, we can't exactly just RETURN the car in 30 days, like a DVD player at bestbuy if we're not happy, I'm not rich, yet im not poor, I still like the drive and the car overall, so I'm not just going to sell it and buy another one just for the HK. I'm happy with my purchase regardless, in attempts to being somewhat practical and buying something i thought i "needed", i got what i got, it doesnt mean i couldnt afford the 350 with all the options or that im buying beyond my means.

Last edited by angeloxnet; 07-07-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300
Hate to say it but if your buying a Mercedes Benz and cannot afford some basic options, then you are living outside your economic means and should not have bought a Mercedes to begin with, but thats just my opinion. Congrats anyway and I agree with the post above, its now probably going to cost you almost double of what you would have originally paid plus your not going to get anything back from the stock equipment you purchased originally.

If thats the truth than we should all be driving an S class instead of an entry level Benz. What a turd. I don't have a loaded C300 either but I did drop $33,000 on a pair HK MP5's last year.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by c3nthusiast
If thats the truth than we should all be driving an S class instead of an entry level Benz. What a turd. I don't have a loaded C300 either but I did drop $33,000 on a pair HK MP5's last year.

Ooooooweeee.... some firepower. I got a friend that bought a $1500 gun and spent $3000 modding it. Not sure what he bought. He said something about sniper scope and carbon fiber?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by jstaneff
I just push in the round button on the radio itself. Acts as an on/off for the radio. (Tuner/volume button?)

The other use I get from the MM is that seems to be the way to switch the radio back and forth from Sirius to regular FM.
Good tip. I'll try it latter on when I'm back in the car.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:21 AM

2011 E350 4 Matic
Has anyone heard or tried this video interface before?

http://www.car-interface.com/car-int...ts.php?mode=33

I have emailed both vendors but havent had any replies from either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to the Multi-media package?