C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
View Poll Results: Man Alive, it's 55 !!
I like it and will drive 55.
5.17%
It sucks, count me out!
39.66%
OK, but limit it to something like 3 years.
1.72%
No limits! Let gas prices be the regulator.
36.21%
I'm glad I don't live in the US.
17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Man Alive, it's 55 !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008 | 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
social engineering rears it's ugly head again.... didn't they learn anything from carpool lanes.....
Old 07-20-2008 | 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nyca
Except it isn't happening. The runup in fuel prices to $4+ a gallon, has decreased consumption only 3.3% in the US.

Individual transportation is the key to the american lifestyle, outside the metropolitan areas where use of some mass transit makes sense. Otherwise, the car is it. There are alot more things US consumers will give up, before they give up their cars.
Just because it has not yet happened does not mean it will not happen. The first thing to consider is that the market needs time to react, people will not be able to replace their cars overnight, nor has the economic reality even set in with most people. We have to be patient to give the market time to respond.

Second, even if the market does not react at this level, does not mean there will be no reaction in the future. We may not be at the point on the demand elasticity curve where consumption will become elastic enough; decrease more than proportional to price.

A good comparison would be the price of salt, something that we use with relatively no regard to its price (because it is so cheap). Salt could double or even quadruple in price tomorrow, and consumption would probably change less than 10% because it is so cheap to begin with. I.E. it is so far up the elasticity curve that price changes will not affect consumption. On the other hand, if prices went up 100 times (10000%), consumption would probably decrease, but not nearly proportional to price, consumption might go to 70% of what it is currently.
Old 07-20-2008 | 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It will not happen in the US. The transportation methods will adapt to accomodate the geographic and socio-economic structure here, not the other away around. You aren't going to all of a sudden have millions of americans moving back to the cities because gas is $6. Instead, $6 gasoline will mean that personal transportation will move towards using the electrical grid, and away from petro-based fuels. The plug in hybrid will be the next "big thing" in the US.
Old 07-20-2008 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It will not happen in the US. The transportation methods will adapt to accomodate the geographic and socio-economic structure here, not the other away around. You aren't going to all of a sudden have millions of americans moving back to the cities because gas is $6. Instead, $6 gasoline will mean that personal transportation will move towards using the electrical grid, and away from petro-based fuels. The plug in hybrid will be the next "big thing" in the US.
What will not happen? Your post is in line with what I said. I would expect transportation to react, especially since that is the primary market instrument. I am not sure why anyone would expect a reshaping of the geographic and socio-economic structure.
Old 07-20-2008 | 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What will not happen, is the move away from individual transportation. People will drive the same # of miles, but will just have a different propulsion method to accomplish the travel distance.

I look around me, and with $4 gasoline, the shopping mall parking lots are still packed. Here we have a society where you can shop online and buy anything you want without leaving your house, yet people are still driving to the malls.
Old 07-20-2008 | 06:09 PM

C220 CDI with OPTIONS!
... personal transportation will move towards using the electrical grid, and away from petro-based fuels. The plug in hybrid will be the next "big thing" in the US.
Which worries me almost as much as the gas-guzzling attitudes. The *overall* environmental impact of nickel based batteries in hybrids like the Prius vs the use of diesel are astounding ...
Old 07-20-2008 | 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the Volt and the next gen hybrids are lithium ion based.