C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Any difference between Germany and South Africa builds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C300 Sport
Thanks for doing us all a favor. Hope your unfortunate situation is resolved soon.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by norcal5
Thanks for doing us all a favor. Hope your unfortunate situation is resolved soon.
Eh... not too bad. Thanks for the kind words though.

Sidenote: I noticed that you are in the SF Bay Area. Check out the following sites for info on an upcoming NorCal meet on 8/10. Some will be coming from SF, so you may want to meet up and caravan over.

Background (original meet had to be cancelled, thanks to the cops):
http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...f66f0c85675cab

The REAL thread (new location of the meet):
http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...f66f0c85675cab

MODS: If I'm violating another forum rule by posting the above, please let me know. Or just delete this post. I like being able to PM/search.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2007289
Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C350
That doesnt prove that SA plant is equal in quality to the Germany plant... but it does say they are WORSE than honda and subaru...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by jorantes
That doesnt prove that SA plant is equal in quality to the Germany plant... but it does say they are WORSE than honda and subaru...
It does say BMW is best in SA, but its a pretty confusing release, because the heading and last two paras say MB is best.

"Do they make the S, CLS, E, or AMG's in South Africa plant? No...? I didn't think so. There's a reason for that... Mercedes implemented the SA plant to meet the ever increasing demand for the C-Class models."

MB say they have been in SA for 54 yrs, so, long before the C. In 1990 MB presented Nelson Mandela with an SA built S class.

Still, I agree its nice to think our fine German machines came from Germany, even if the realty is that it was built by "guestworkers" Bremen.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
I think we'd all like to just think in our mind that Hondas come from Japan, Fords come from US, and Mercedes come from Germany.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
Originally Posted by keith100
It does say BMW is best in SA, but its a pretty confusing release, because the heading and last two paras say MB is best.

"Do they make the S, CLS, E, or AMG's in South Africa plant? No...? I didn't think so. There's a reason for that... Mercedes implemented the SA plant to meet the ever increasing demand for the C-Class models."

MB say they have been in SA for 54 yrs, so, long before the C. In 1990 MB presented Nelson Mandela with an SA built S class.

Still, I agree its nice to think our fine German machines came from Germany, even if the realty is that it was built by "guestworkers" Bremen.
I think there are 2 different things they are looking at here. One is total for SA for the brand and the 2nd is the specific plant. The way I am reading this report is that BMW overall in SA is best, but the MB East london PLANT is best oveall. That would lead me to believe that there are several BMW plants there rather then just one.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
+1

Good point. I'll re-read it from that point of view

Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 AM

2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by saskbenz2
Isn't it a little arrogant and perhaps ignorant to assume that the German-built vehicles would be of a higher quality than the South African assembled cars? J.D. Powers has ranked the BMW plant in South Africa consistently among the best in the world, and it would be Mercedes' shortcoming if the quality was not equal. If there is one group of car owners that would be expected to be more educated about the world (not measured by the number of designations in front or after your name) it would be benz owners.

While reading this thread I had to constantly check to see if I hadn't inadvertently strayed onto a F150 forum...
well said besides this plant has been assembling mercedes cars for 50 years, and euros at 1.55 usd to one its far cheaper to put this car together outside of Germany.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
just picked up mine. C350 SA built. doesn't bother me that much. inspected every gap and such and everything looks good.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
I think we'd all like to just think in our mind that Hondas come from Japan, Fords come from US, and Mercedes come from Germany.
haha, that's very true.

Some people don't understand the ever changing world.

Tee_Tz.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
I had the chance today to directly compare a S. Africa build to my German build.

- The SA had Conti's and it was a wee bit softer ride than my Michelins.
- The SA had plenty of orange peel in the paint .... not a metallic color, maybe that's why?
- It took just a wee bit of time to adjust for driving position, then it felt like my car does. In driving it, I couldn't tell any difference between the two cars
- Okay, I lied. The sticker on the right side of the windshield was higher up than in my car ... (it's different!)
- The SA got about the same mpg on the same route as my German build does.

From this limited experience (about 40 miles of driving, mixed freeway, city streets, and suburbia) I couldn't tell any difference between the builds.

So, my assessment here has to be that it's a MB and that's sufficient.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jstaneff
Sounds good to me! However, I do still feel the deep desire to say "Yay Bremin built!" In all seriousness, I'm sure the SA-built cars are just as good as the german built ones, but its a mental thing as mentioned above. We all like to think that our german cars come from germany.

In my opinion - whatever keeps the cost down enough so I can keep affording these C-classes makes me happy :-). If utilizing a SA plant will do that, so be it!

- Eric
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Is there any difference in build quality between Germany and South Africa plants? I am trying to make a change to my order and they are telling me that I can only get a SA build, unless I want to wait until october for a germany build...?

He also said 90% of the 2009 c class will be built in SA.
Yes - the SA plant has the contract - The SA plant opened in 1948 & has been wholly owned by DB since 1966.

The SA plant has built many of the top models over time and it's quality is frequently rated better than Germany - same goes for BMW & Audi. It's also responsible for engineering out problems. Our W203s don't give half the trouble your German ones do because the RHD models got sorted here.

A lot of has been spoken on this thread. Please read the linked thread so I don't have to repeat myself. As I've said - the reality is that the best you can hope for is "assembled in Germany"

Read this
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/258382-south-african-made.html
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Hold on tightly to your prejudices, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, otherwise you might lose them.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 AM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes - the SA plant has the contract - The SA plant opened in 1948 & has been wholly owned by DB since 1966.

The SA plant has built many of the top models over time and it's quality is frequently rated better than Germany - same goes for BMW & Audi. It's also responsible for engineering out problems. Our W203s don't give half the trouble your German ones do because the RHD models got sorted here.

A lot of has been spoken on this thread. Please read the linked thread so I don't have to repeat myself. As I've said - the reality is that the best you can hope for is "assembled in Germany"

Read this
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258382
"Assembled in Germany" doesn't mean anything (I'm sure you know it among others). That's what the sticker said on my car... and a coworker happened to point out a big gap on the right side of my trunk today...

A well-built car is a well-built car. Well, maybe not from China.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jherbias
"Assembled in Germany" doesn't mean anything (I'm sure you know it among others). That's what the sticker said on my car... and a coworker happened to point out a big gap on the right side of my trunk today...

A well-built car is a well-built car. Well, maybe not from China.
Absolutely! This is the tail of what I posted on the other thread

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You require substantial communication training! I withdraw this if English is not your home language

To start with if you want high end Audio/Theatre gear you should buy American. It's the finest available with a few exceptions.

Regarding made in Germany - and this applies to Kar don's post as well regarding component suppliers. The best you can hope for is ASSEMBLED IN GERMANY. Many, many of the components in a modern Benz are made in Eastern European countries such as Poland for cost reasons. The same applies to Audi & BMW. Even Audi's Lambo Gallardo has components made in Poland. I know suppliers to the plant.

So get real people - This is globalisation in action

Could not resist posting this. See pic of Genuine MB W203 headlight assembly I saw yesterday which reinforces my comment above.
Attached Thumbnails Any difference between Germany and South Africa builds?-3zz.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-11-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstaneff
I had the chance today to directly compare a S. Africa build to my German build.

- The SA had Conti's and it was a wee bit softer ride than my Michelins.
- The SA had plenty of orange peel in the paint .... not a metallic color, maybe that's why?
- It took just a wee bit of time to adjust for driving position, then it felt like my car does. In driving it, I couldn't tell any difference between the two cars
- Okay, I lied. The sticker on the right side of the windshield was higher up than in my car ... (it's different!)
- The SA got about the same mpg on the same route as my German build does.

From this limited experience (about 40 miles of driving, mixed freeway, city streets, and suburbia) I couldn't tell any difference between the builds.

Thanks - a sensible post.

Believe me the Conti's are not as good as your Michelins - note on the sidewall it says "engineered in Germany" - Well the more they wear the noisier they get - removed mine at 16000 Kms and replaced with Michelin Pilot Exalto PE 2s - in a different class!

This orange peel issue keeps coming up regarding paint. Well go and have a good look at a new German built S Class and you will see it's also full of orange peel.

The reason is the new environmentally friendly, carcinogen free solvent paint & process, introduced in Germany to meet the latest European regulations.

Mercedes have spent yet another fortune on the East London plant and part of that was a new paintshop to use the new technology, environmentally friendly painting process.

So guess what? South African production Mercs now have orange peel paintwork just like German ones. My older South African car has zero orange peel because it was built using the old technology paints. Chinese cars like Chery are garbage but they have beautiful paintwork because they use even older technology paint.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
i dont see anything wrong with other countries building mercedes for marketing purpose , but i belive what people saying here is , if you buy a german product , you expect it to be build in the orginal country . i think thats all ppl are saying
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by maninblack
i dont see anything wrong with other countries building mercedes for marketing purpose , but i belive what people saying here is , if you buy a german product , you expect it to be build in the orginal country . i think thats all ppl are saying
Well that's not what people are saying and that is not reality in in an increasingly global environment.

People are querying quality, which they are entitled to do, and showing prejudice that is unfounded and I am placing matters in context.

As I said in the other thread - "You can have a W204 built in Germany by Turkish labour or you can have one built in South Africa by South African Labour" Components come from all over the place - many from Eastern European & South African suppliers.

The highly respected Toyota/Lexus - Now the largest manufacturer in the world, gets every component from the cheapest supply point around the globe
that meets their standards.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 PM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
if thats the case , they are just being racist
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM

C300 Sport
Every Apple product is assembled in China but I don't see anyone complaining about their iPhones / iPod. Its the trust in the brand that matters. No matter where a product is built, it is the company's Quality Control division that is responsible for checking if an individual product is worthy of putting the company logo on it.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by maninblack
if thats the case , they are just being racist
That is most certainly NOT what I'm saying !! Please don't play the race card on this forum !!!! All I'm talking about is global fact. I'm proud of our local plant without prejudice. I'm an **** Virgo and If we made crap I would say so and not own one of their products.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
My complaint is not racially based. It is economically based.

The only reason I think a German car demands a higher price than an American car is the cost of labor in Germany is much higher.

Then they send off their assembly to a lower cost nation yet they charge the same price to the customer.

If they are paying German labor rates for South African labor then I will shut up and applaud MBz.

Somehow I feel they are NOT paying German labor rates.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Originally Posted by wblynch
My complaint is not racially based. It is economically based.
While somewhat clever, that has to be one of the most specious arguments about automotive manufacturing that I've come across.

Daimler's pricing is much more complex than merely labor costs. To argue otherwise would demonstate a complete lack of understanding of the economics of the automotive industry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any difference between Germany and South Africa builds?