C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fiber optic + adding sub = confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35
Fiber optic + adding sub = confused

So I'm going to order my 09 C350 this weekend.

I-Silver
Black leather / walnut trim
PII
MM / HK system
Pano sunroof
ipod kit
lighted door sills

I'm still really confused about the sound system in the car. In another thread, thanks to you folks, I found out the challenges that this car represents when you want to relplace the speakers and amps (especially in with the HK) because of the fiber optic cabling.

So I have given up on the bigger project of re-doing the whole thing and just adding a sub.

What I want to do is throw a 10" Bazooka in the trunk, and replace the standard paper driver the comes with the tube with a JL W3v3....Easy enough.

Where it gets confusing me is how do I get the Fiber optic cables converted to normal line level inputs for the Bazooka (which has its own amp)?

There was a suggestion on another thread as well that said I will need JL's clean sweep to clean up the lows, but looking at the product, I dont see how this is going to help since the signal going to the sub is already EQ'd. can anybody chime in on this?

Thanks for any replies in advance.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
You cannot convert fiber optic to line level. You will need to tap into the speaker cables running to your rear speaker and use a line level adapter or an amp that accepts line level inputs. The fiber optic cables run from the source unit to the amps. There is no such thing as fiber optic speaker cables.
The JL Audio Clean Sweep is nice but there are other options. Audio Control makes the DQL-8 which is incredible but might be more than you need.
http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/pr...2&l1=17612&l2=
Remember- if you are simply installing a subwoofer you shouldn't need to clean up the signal that much. I would try a simple PAC adapter (assuming the Bazooka is amplified).

Last edited by AkaSigFreak; 07-24-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35
AkaSigFreak -

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So, if you dont mind me asking....How did you amp up your MB quarts? or did you amp them at all?

So if the fiber optic cable is from the head unit to the OEM amp (or amps), how do you even add a sub (or other speakers) when the outgoing speaker wire is already Amped? Isn't running a amped signal to another amp (or re-amping as they call it) a bad thing?

if there is a way to do this I would redo all the out-going speaker wire to new amps and push a higer wattage throughout the whole system.

and yeah, the bazooka would have 200watts (i would by the one with the amp built in)

thanks for any replies
Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by danielisaiah
AkaSigFreak -

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So, if you dont mind me asking....How did you amp up your MB quarts? or did you amp them at all?

So if the fiber optic cable is from the head unit to the OEM amp (or amps), how do you even add a sub (or other speakers) when the outgoing speaker wire is already Amped? Isn't running a amped signal to another amp (or re-amping as they call it) a bad thing?

if there is a way to do this I would redo all the out-going speaker wire to new amps and push a higer wattage throughout the whole system.

and yeah, the bazooka would have 200watts (i would by the one with the amp built in)

thanks for any replies
That's why you use a component like the CleanSweep or the DQL-8. They will take the amplified high wattage factory signal and convert it to low level RCA type outputs which will then provide the clean signal for your amps. Personally I would go with the DQL-8 just to be prepared for future upgrades.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by danielisaiah
AkaSigFreak -

thanks for any replies

Check this out...hope this help,

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/203690-how-adding-sub-your-stock-bose-system-line-output-convertor.html