C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What’s the best aftermarket audio solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 11:47 AM

2008 C300
What’s the best aftermarket audio solution?

So I didn’t spend the $3,000 on the navigation and upgraded stereo / speakers because I really don’t need/want the navigation and I assumed (hopefully correctly) that for between $1,000 to $2,000 I can put in aftermarket equipment that would blow away the factory upgraded Harman Kardon system.

I only have three criteria. Keep the factory radio, not cut/drill holes in the car, and in no way affect the factory warranty.

So what if any are my options? Swapping out the speakers is easy, but is there enough juice in the factory radio to take advantage of quality speakers? Would it make a noticeable difference? Is a couple of 10’s in the back realistic (I don’t have folding seats).

Thanks,

/Steve
Old 07-30-2008 | 12:53 PM

C300
I swapped the speakers and put a 10" SAS tube in the trunk to save space. The speakers are a great improvement over the OEM speakers and my standard head unit drives them pretty loud and clean. I did, however, choose efficient speakers, 94 dB sensitive, with a low 2 ohm impedence.

If you're concerned with space there's the Alpine LAT sub that's close to a pair of 10's. I would have gone with that but I had the SAS tube leftover from an older car.
Old 07-30-2008 | 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

c300
Elemental Designs, Rainbow, Dynaudio
Old 07-31-2008 | 02:51 PM

E63
good info

Originally Posted by cmoguy
So I didn’t spend the $3,000 on the navigation and upgraded stereo / speakers because I really don’t need/want the navigation and I assumed (hopefully correctly) that for between $1,000 to $2,000 I can put in aftermarket equipment that would blow away the factory upgraded Harman Kardon system.

I only have three criteria. Keep the factory radio, not cut/drill holes in the car, and in no way affect the factory warranty.

So what if any are my options? Swapping out the speakers is easy, but is there enough juice in the factory radio to take advantage of quality speakers? Would it make a noticeable difference? Is a couple of 10’s in the back realistic (I don’t have folding seats).

Thanks,

/Steve

1 Use an AudioControl LC6i to interface the head until converting high to low signal

2 Stock Amps will not push the power to the type of speakers that you are considering upgrading to so you will need amp(s). One for the Highs/Mids and one for the sub with a gain control.

3 No warranty problems
Works really well in the CLK
Old 07-31-2008 | 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
For my wifes C300...I just kept the stock head unit and went with:

1. JL Cleansweep (for OEM integration)
2. JL Audio coaxials all the way around
3. One JL 12" sub
4. An old school Esoteric 6 channel amp (in 5 channel mode).

Now it has a much cleaner sound with a lot more headroom. The Esoteric amp has more than power than the speakers are rated for...better more power than less...you can always dial it down.

I got the all the JL equipment off Ebay with no problems...