C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A mod worth doing?? See inside.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
A mod worth doing?? See inside.....

So, I'm beating around the C class the other day, which right now has 245/30/19s. Tires are some General sport tires (exclaim uhp I believe, and yes I wanted cheap sport tires) and the car handles much better than stock and stock wasn't too bad. I had the 17"s btw. So I'm doing some hard cornering and I realize that that car goes in the direction I point it rather easily, but my body is moving all over the drivers area. I make similar turns at speed in my CL and those AMG really hold you and your passenger in there no problem. They do have that bolster inflation mechanism but just the sheer size of the seat and the sportier bolster I believe would really make a difference. SOOOooOo, as you may have already guessed, I want to replace the seats. AMG C63 seats? possibly, but maybe even some 55 seats could work? What I'm wondering is if I would be able to retro fit the new seat command in the door panel as I believe the 09"s will have. A little wiring but I don't think it couldn't be done. Any opinions, thoughts, feelings, part numbers or prices anyones got would be great appreciated. Has anybody else decided that the stock seats suck? Lets hear from ya!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I have decided pretty soon after I got the car that the stock seats suck. I like driving around on some friendly neighborhood mountain roads, and in hard driving situations, there's not nearly enough support. So for about 2 weeks a while ago, I considered putting in one of those sport/race seats in (Sparco, BRIDE, etc). But then, I decided that this car is no race car. It's a semi-lux car. So no race seats. Maybe later on (years down the line) I'll make that mod if I decide to go all out modding on this car. By then, I'll have to have another car for normal uses.

I've sat in C63 seats, and though they are a bit more bolstered (I thought?), I dunno if they will provide significantly more support in hard driving. Didn't get to test drive it. Whether it'd work or not, don't you think the cost of the mod would be just prohibitively expensive for a car of this price range?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
i been through this delima!
the seat was the first thing that came in my mind of something that needs to improved from the car when i first drove it
it might have been that i been in a sportier seat for quite some time
any how i decided to pull back because
1. it defeats the purpose of a daily driver car, the luxury of MB, the eletric seats
2. I would not stop at the point of seats, if i really went for it, I will not be satisfed of the handling, hence i would be going to do something about it, once thats done i would decide there is not enough power, and then brakes etc. ... so on and so forth
3. What option really is there for the MB, I've never been in AMG seats but I LOVE BRIDE seats, plus the cost for AMG or other compatible would be quite dare too i suspect

so i decided if i want a car to have fun in i will just get a proper sports car, its the best of both worlds

bottom line is, its not worth it. well at least to me
Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
While I don't think the seats suck, I would like more side support for aggressive driving. I find them comfy enough for my needs, I usually don't drive for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

Not sure how a conversion to Brabus or other higher end seat would cost compared to buying C63 seats and doing some sort of retro fit. If I recall correctly the entire Brabus interior package w/ both front seats, rear seat, all door panels, headrests, etc. was under $5K. I think you can pick the leather color and stitching color too, add strips ect. I priced it out last fall before I ordered the car. I decided I'd rather put the $1500 leather upgrade towards an interior conversion if I ever really wanted to do an upgrade.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seats will become more attainable as people start to wreck the C63. I'm sure there are plenty of wrecked 55's out there w/ seats just sitting in them.....
Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Seats will become more attainable as people start to wreck the C63. I'm sure there are plenty of wrecked 55's out there w/ seats just sitting in them.....
This is true.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
one mans loss is another mans gain
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
yeah i been thinking about this also i was thinkin about going to a up. shop and seeing what they can do as far as the seats go
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
You did think through this right? AMG seats are like $4k for the advanced ones. Second, they have different air bags than standard C seats - for example, no headrest, no headrest actuator for accident assistance and no pelvic airbag.

Sounds like a ton of grief - but I say go for it. The C63 seats are the bomb.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by peet
You did think through this right? AMG seats are like $4k for the advanced ones. Second, they have different air bags than standard C seats - for example, no headrest, no headrest actuator for accident assistance and no pelvic airbag.

Sounds like a ton of grief - but I say go for it. The C63 seats are the bomb.
Don't need to be dynamic necessiarly, my 55 seats are not. I actually wouldn't care if they came w/ the pulse, active lumbar and what not and didn't function. As long as those bolsters are bigger and I can fall into the seat a little more I'd feel better.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by zankok
i been through this delima!
I would not stop at the point of seats, if i really went for it, I will not be satisfed of the handling, hence i would be going to do something about it, once thats done i would decide there is not enough power, and then brakes etc. ... so on and so forth
3. What option really is there for the MB, I've never been in AMG seats but I LOVE BRIDE seats, plus the cost for AMG or other compatible would be quite dare too i suspect

so i decided if i want a car to have fun in i will just get a proper sports car, its the best of both worlds

bottom line is, its not worth it. well at least to me
Smart choice and the modding bug has hit me again as always. You are right though that the car is not worth all the cost to make it what we enthusiasts want.

I'll most likely just move up to a used CLS or E63 in a few years and be done with it instead of throwing thousands at this car. Mercedes makes much nicer cars so no point in acting like we don't have options.