C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why does it take so frickin long to copy CD's to the HARD DRIVE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)

is it just smarter/faster to do all your transfering to HD from the SDHC memory card slot?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 6speed
prob because the system has to convert the cd which is formatted .wav to .mp3 to save your hdd space. I would assume copying from a memory card would be faster because the files would already be .mp3 thus no need for conversion. By the way I do not have the mm option, however it seems like that would be why.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350W on EDP
Originally Posted by rb23lb

is it just smarter/faster to do all your transfering to HD from the SDHC memory card slot?
It is the time recquired to "rip" an analog CD disk. This is done song/cut by song/cut until completion, and the time required is a function of sampling bit rate per stereo channel and the length of song being recorded.

Also, the digital signal processor chip is one that is optimized for the HK Logic 7 digital 5.1 playback setup and is not optimized for the sampling and compression processing used for "ripping".

A question back at you is how does it sound when it is done? Is the playback sound quality of the MP3 files good at high frequencies? I have a MM equipped C350 on order and never got a chance to try out this function.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 (W204)
Agreed with the above...

Personally, I'd much rather RIP the CD on my PC first (at least I can then choose the sample rate, other specs first) then copy over using SD/CF

But then again, I'm currently using a 4gig CF card just to play the songs directly from. At least I can choose the directory structure WAAY easier on the PC. Just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Great_Cookie
Agreed with the above...

Personally, I'd much rather RIP the CD on my PC first (at least I can then choose the sample rate, other specs first) then copy over using SD/CF

But then again, I'm currently using a 4gig CF card just to play the songs directly from. At least I can choose the directory structure WAAY easier on the PC. Just my opinion.
i think mercedes has a decent compression scheme when you rip from cd, because it sounds almost identical to its source after ripping... i have tested this many times to make sure...

it just seems to take abnormally long compared to when i rip on my PC