C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

reprogrammed gearbox, solved the lag issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
reprogrammed gearbox, solved the lag issue

So I drop off the car to the dealer for its first service. I note that the box sometimes shifts rough and to check it out. They gave me a B class loaner to drive, so I drive to work, that little thing seems to have a much faster throttle response than my C. Since I bought the car it had this annoying lag, almost like a turbo lag especially during kick down. I have read on the board that other had noticed it and started using the gearbox in manual mode which made things better. At any rate I call the service adviser and I tell her about the comparison and the lag issue. She said they will check it.
I come by to pick up my car at the end of the day and she tells me that they flushed the gearbox and reprogrammed it with a newer version from Mercedes. Driving the car home, was like driving a new car! The lag is GONE and it responds so much better! Could not be happier! So, if you guys experience the same issue, ask your dealer to reprogram your gearbox with the new version...
Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
maybe they installed a sprintbooster? lol
Old 08-24-2008, 01:34 AM

08 c300
it was free?? im going on monday....
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 AM

08 c300
is all you told them is that you had a lag?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by djf1
So I drop off the car to the dealer for its first service. I note that the box sometimes shifts rough and to check it out. They gave me a B class loaner to drive, so I drive to work, that little thing seems to have a much faster throttle response than my C. Since I bought the car it had this annoying lag, almost like a turbo lag especially during kick down. I have read on the board that other had noticed it and started using the gearbox in manual mode which made things better. At any rate I call the service adviser and I tell her about the comparison and the lag issue. She said they will check it.
I come by to pick up my car at the end of the day and she tells me that they flushed the gearbox and reprogrammed it with a newer version from Mercedes. Driving the car home, was like driving a new car! The lag is GONE and it responds so much better! Could not be happier! So, if you guys experience the same issue, ask your dealer to reprogram your gearbox with the new version...
Hi DJF1, Where did you bring your car? The one on West Broadway? I wonder whether they just did an ECU reset?

I used to have that lag issue as well (drive by wire issue) until I installed that Sprintbooster that Angeloxnet mentioned which made such a difference but i still do the ECU reset once in a while.

But thanks for letting us now of this flush, I will make an appointment as well and get them to do the same
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz C300 4matic MM
Thx for the info, I have to bring mine back again for the sunroof reprogram, possibility a motor issue, I will get them to check it as well.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 AM

1997 E320
to your questions guys:

1. I dont know what is the sprint booster? The lag was a real problem. It was probably a second or so before I had acceleration after depressing the throttle. It was especially pronounced when I would floor it, it felt like a moment of inactivity then the box would downshift and I would have acceleration.

2. Yes it was free. Mercedes seems to know the problem. I was told by the service adviser that there is a new version on the gearbox programming, she called it "an update" from the factory. I suspect that all the new 2009 models may have this update already, I guess getting a brand new model on its first year, its bound to have some issues and this was one of them.

3. Yes all I told them was the lag. I also told them that on occasion my gearbox responded with a hard kick when downshifting like my 140K mile E320...

4. My dealer is in Richmond and the lady service adviser is super friendly. Dont remember her name, she is East Indian, look for her.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
there is a way to DIY reset, correct

anybody know how?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 224 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
see the secret thread.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 PM

1997 E320
Originally Posted by rb23lb
there is a way to DIY reset, correct

anybody know how?
What I'm talking about is not a reset. I did the reset myself and it did not help. Trust me I did it right before i took the car to the track

what this is as far as I understand a new updated gearbox software. If you just reset the parameters do not change. It just adapts to your style, but the problem remains. With the updated software the problem is solved.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
What I'm talking about is not a reset. I did the reset myself and it did not help. Trust me I did it right before i took the car to the track

what this is as far as I understand a new updated gearbox software. If you just reset the parameters do not change. It just adapts to your style, but the problem remains. With the updated software the problem is solved.
Was it covered under warranty? I'm afraid if I take it to the boundary dealership or the North Van dealership they won't know how to fix the problem. Do you know if their was a TSB out for this?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Called my service adviser and asked about this. She didn't sound surprised and I made an appointment for Friday (under warranty with MB loaner). She said most times it's just the software update, but sometimes it's a small transmission leak Better be a software issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Just dropped off the car today. I'll be picking it up this evening and we'll see if they do anything or if anything gets fixed.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
Just dropped off the car today. I'll be picking it up this evening and we'll see if they do anything or if anything gets fixed.
That would be awesome I also called and booked an appointment for tomorrow.

The service advisor didnt seem surprised when I was explaining the issue, she was filling in some blanks that I left out so it seems that they are aware what the issue is.

Last edited by 2nice4me; 08-25-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM

W212 2011 E-350 4Matic
Was it free?!?

I may need to add that on my check list the next time I go!
its a sw update! great! I hate that lag!!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Well, after looking her over from top down, the only thing they could find was an update to the ECU software, which they did. Took her out for a test drive and lag was still there. It was free update at least, but disappointing. Oh well, my ecu tune is saturday anyways which will take care of it.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, after looking her over from top down, the only thing they could find was an update to the ECU software, which they did. Took her out for a test drive and lag was still there. It was free update at least, but disappointing. Oh well, my ecu tune is saturday anyways which will take care of it.
Yea I figured they wouldn't find it. Most likely the other dealerships here won't find the update as well. They're quite dumb these dealerships, lol. Same thing went when I had the mirror squeak problem. Their was a fix for it (replace the mirror) but yet they said they couldn't reproduce the problem nor knew what they could do about it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
That bites I was getting my hopes up already. Anyway i will let you guys know what they say at the Vancouver location (That is where I bought mine) I will do a ECU reset and see what happens

djf1: Did they write anything in your maintenance log or workorder that can help clarify what they did?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
took my car to the dealer today. They said there is no ECU update for my car, at least nothing regarding the transmission, gearbox, or anything engine related....

can you tell us what program update they did to your car? is there an program update code?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yxc145
took my car to the dealer today. They said there is no ECU update for my car, at least nothing regarding the transmission, gearbox, or anything engine related....

can you tell us what program update they did to your car? is there an program update code?
That's what I'm worried they will say to me if I try to bring mine in.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Someone else mentioned it before that he got the MB service to update the software of the tranny. The problem was there were some jerks/shocks at low RPM while the gear is being changed.

To test it, in C mode accelerate max without letting the gear to change and then let the accelerator go, At low RPM there should be a jerk when the tranny changes the gear.

or accelerate fully and then hit breaks ( not so fast , not so slow ) and you should observe a jerk/shock when RPM reaches around 1500 or 2000.

Please confirm if you have this problem. I sometimes get a little jerk/shock while the gear changes at low RPM. Normmaly happens if I accelerate and then let the accelerator go. other then that it butter smooth shifts and i dont feel a thing.

And how do you comfirm the TCU has been reset properly.

10) Steps to Reset the TCU. Resetting the TCU will reset transmission to factory shift points and the car will 'relearn' your driving style.

(1.) Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position. ( start is engine running ? )

(2.) Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds. ( Push it to the point where you hear a click ? )

(3.) Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

(4.) Wait at least two minutes for TCU to reset.

Now how do you know its done?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl

And how do you comfirm the TCU has been reset properly.

10) Steps to Reset the TCU. Resetting the TCU will reset transmission to factory shift points and the car will 'relearn' your driving style.

(1.) Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position. ( start is engine running ? )

(2.) Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds. ( Push it to the point where you hear a click ? )

(3.) Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

(4.) Wait at least two minutes for TCU to reset.

Now how do you know its done?

i heard your only suppose to reset the TCU only after each A or B service??? is that true?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 PM

1997 E320
Lots of questions....

To recap, my main issue was the lag. This is fixed. my dealer is Mercedes of Richmond in BC Canada. The fix was a freebie. It should be a freebie anyway if you are under warranty. There is a pronounced difference and while the car did not gain a miraculous amount of power, there is no lag. You press the gas pedal and you have immediate reaction just as you should. Before I would be stopped on an intersection and double think of crossing it. It was wait for it, wait for it, go. Now its just go.
So while I dont claim to be an expert of the fix, I'm just communicating what I was told. I was told that there is a software update from Mercedes and that was related to my issue. I also had very few times, this jerk and kick from the gearbox. I have that on my 140K E320 but the box is obviously old. So the dealer on their own accord, flushed the tranny and did the software update.

I'm not surprised that some dealers may be ignorant or pretend to be. I would ask for a test drive on an 09 model to see the difference if they claim otherwise. Again, maybe I'm lucky, but my car is the proof that the lag issue is a software issue, which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lots of questions....

To recap, my main issue was the lag. This is fixed. my dealer is Mercedes of Richmond in BC Canada. The fix was a freebie. It should be a freebie anyway if you are under warranty. There is a pronounced difference and while the car did not gain a miraculous amount of power, there is no lag. You press the gas pedal and you have immediate reaction just as you should. Before I would be stopped on an intersection and double think of crossing it. It was wait for it, wait for it, go. Now its just go.
So while I dont claim to be an expert of the fix, I'm just communicating what I was told. I was told that there is a software update from Mercedes and that was related to my issue. I also had very few times, this jerk and kick from the gearbox. I have that on my 140K E320 but the box is obviously old. So the dealer on their own accord, flushed the tranny and did the software update.

I'm not surprised that some dealers may be ignorant or pretend to be. I would ask for a test drive on an 09 model to see the difference if they claim otherwise. Again, maybe I'm lucky, but my car is the proof that the lag issue is a software issue, which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
Scan your work order please so we can see what they wrote and we can show our dealerships.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by micropower99
Scan your work order please so we can see what they wrote and we can show our dealerships.
+1 Please do so!

I hate my stupid lag...

I thought mercedes did this intentionally for some reason though in order to have a smoother ride???

Is it really a defect??

regardless i definitely want the update, i hate the annoying lag and expect more from decently expensive car...

pretty dissapointing Mercedes your stock perfromance has such a defective lag...

sad thing is that many people will never even know there is a way to fix this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: reprogrammed gearbox, solved the lag issue