C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

loss of power steering!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
loss of power steering!!!

It happened last Sunday. I pulled my car from the street and the steering was extremely heavy and hard to turn. I thought something was lodged in my wheel, but everything looked fine, luckily I didn't go far to get home but it did give my arms a real workout.
When I got home I noticed an unusual smell coming from the front driver's side wheel and a light oily spray on the inside of the rim, but nothing seems to be leaking. I started my car today and the problem still remains, but no leaks.

I have my 3,000 service scheduled tomorrow where they will be checking this problem out while it's there.

Does anyone know what this problem may be? I want to be prepared for the worst.

Last edited by aowhaus; 09-16-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Hopefully you didn't leak any power steering fluid...

On the plus side, you will get better feedback from your wheels if you go racing
Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Power steering

Originally Posted by aowhaus
It happened last Sunday. I pulled my car from the street and the steering was extremely heavy and hard to turn. I thought something was lodged in my wheel, but everything looked fine, luckily I didn't go far to get home but it did give my arms a real workout.
When I got home I noticed an unusual smell coming from the front driver's side wheel and a light oily spray on the inside of the rim, but nothing seems to be leaking. I started my car today and the problem still remains, but no leaks.

I have my 3,000 service scheduled tomorrow where they will be checking this problem out while it's there.

Does anyone know what this problem may be? I want to be prepared for the worst.
You don't mention whether you looked under the hood which of course any normal person would do when faced with a fluid leak.

Since the power steering pump is on the left side and the steering is unboosted it's obvious that the pump itself or a line has failed. The pump reservoir is directly underneath the left engine air intake with a twist-off cap. Remove the cap and determine if any fluid remains. Most likely the cap has a dipstick. If the reservoir is empty and you have been driving the car, you may have destroyed the pump and/or the steering gear.

If you cannot see any fluid, call the dealer and ask if they want to flatbed the car in or should you just drive it.