C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Engaging "R" gear - minor delay and clunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E250 AV
Engaging "R" gear - minor delay and clunk?

My one month old 2008 C280 (C300 in US) wagon seems to be experiencing a delay when I engage "R" gear (especially when I am trying to park) after using the normal "D" for driving. I am from Hong Kong....

There is a 1.5 ~ 2 second delay before the Reverse gear actually engages after I put the gear stick in the "R" position, and it does so with a small "clunk" which I can feel. Is this a problem, or a quirk of Mercedes?

This is my first Mercedes, after driving quite a few different BMW's since 2001.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated! I will ask the dealer to check it next week, but would love to hear from you guys first!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Slow to engage reverse?

Originally Posted by S204HONGKONG
My one month old 2008 C280 (C300 in US) wagon seems to be experiencing a delay when I engage "R" gear (especially when I am trying to park) after using the normal "D" for driving. I am from Hong Kong....

There is a 1.5 ~ 2 second delay before the Reverse gear actually engages after I put the gear stick in the "R" position, and it does so with a small "clunk" which I can feel. Is this a problem, or a quirk of Mercedes?

This is my first Mercedes, after driving quite a few different BMW's since 2001.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated! I will ask the dealer to check it next week, but would love to hear from you guys first!
Try this little test which will help you decide whether the trans really has a problem. Find someplace where you can observe the back of your car reflected in a show window, viewing it through the rear view mirror.

Keeping in mind that the shift lever is just a switch, sending a signal to an actuator, move the lever into reverse. The moment the trans goes into reverse (not necessarily when you moved the lever since there is always a short delay) you should see the back up lights go on. These two events should occur simultaneously. If the trans does not engage reverse when the lights come on, you can start worrying about the trans. Or I should say, watching it since the car is under warranty. Perhaps not the US 4-year 50K mile warranty but at least the one year warranty found elsewhere.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
take it back to yan-fu to start a warrenty claim
can you post a photo of your wagon , havent seen on in vancouver yet

thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by S204HONGKONG

Posted something similar on this forum and got the reply that:

- The delay is normal because is basically an electronic signal that it is sent and not a mechanical link (instantaneous)

- The clunk also is normal if the car is parked in an incline. The more steep is the incline, the stronger the clunk. Could it be your case ?