C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Audio Fadeout in Navigation - What is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport, 2007 ML320 CDI
I had my dealer do the COMAND update while I had the car in for service A. I picked up the car, the paperwork shows that they performed the update, but I don't have the audio fadeout (the only reason I wanted it updated). In fact, I don't notice any new icons or anything. Can someone let me know where the audio fadeout is in the COMAND menu, just so I don't look stupid when I take it back in on Monday? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by Kieffer
I had my dealer do the COMAND update while I had the car in for service A. I picked up the car, the paperwork shows that they performed the update, but I don't have the audio fadeout (the only reason I wanted it updated). In fact, I don't notice any new icons or anything. Can someone let me know where the audio fadeout is in the COMAND menu, just so I don't look stupid when I take it back in on Monday? Thanks.
Drop down menu when you select navi from top menu. The audio fade out seems to channel the voice guidance instructions through the driver-side speakers by fading out the music to those speakers only.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 11-15-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Drop down menu when you select navi from top menu. The audio fade out seems to channel the voice guidance instructions through the driver-side speakers by fading out the music to those speakers only.
Thanks for the info, Uga Uga. No, I don't have that option. My service ticket said "Updated Audio Software for Fadeout Option." I asked that they update the entire COMAND software. I'll wait until my usual service advisor is back (has the flu). If he'd been in charge, it would have been done correctly. The idiot they gave me in his absence was clearly a "do the bare minimum" guy.

On the plus side, my audio has BASS now. Holy ****! I used to keep the bass at + 7 or 8 for most sources (I usually just listen to Sirius). Now I can back it down to +3 and it sounds great.

Last edited by Kieffer; 11-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
i took my car in to the dealer today and asked for a "nav update". they checked & told me that there is no update for the nav. is it possible that only ceryain dealers have the update right now since it just came out? shouldnt they get it all at once?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by delirium
i took my car in to the dealer today and asked for a "nav update". they checked & told me that there is no update for the nav. is it possible that only ceryain dealers have the update right now since it just came out? shouldnt they get it all at once?
Is it possible that they thought you wanted a map update instead of operating system software update. there sure is an update. press further.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM

I would bet that is exactly what happened. Let them know you want the COMAND update - the entire update, not just a part of it (like what just happened to me when they only updated the audio section, rather than doing the full, 2-hour update).
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
Hmm, i would think that after working as a service advisor for even 6 months that you would connect the dots & consider the command update if someone asked for a nav update... ?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kieffer
Thanks for the info, Uga Uga. No, I don't have that option. My service ticket said "Updated Audio Software for Fadeout Option." I asked that they update the entire COMAND software. I'll wait until my usual service advisor is back (has the flu). If he'd been in charge, it would have been done correctly. The idiot they gave me in his absence was clearly a "do the bare minimum" guy.

On the plus side, my audio has BASS now. Holy ****! I used to keep the bass at + 7 or 8 for most sources (I usually just listen to Sirius). Now I can back it down to +3 and it sounds great.
Well now that my fantastic service advisor is back to work, I have the correct update and the audio fadeout option - which works SO well.

They did have some confusion with my car, as it's an early production model that had avoided the service department for almost a year. They did the newest update, but the audio-fadeout didn't appear. My service advisor did some research and head-banging to find out that the audio fadeout is actually in the update that came before the most current update. So, putting the most current update on my car would update certain features, but wouldn't add the audio fadeout. So, they put the previous update on, then put the most-current update on after that.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

2008 C300
I brought the car in for service A two weeks ago and dealership didnt perform an update. I called to get it and they told me its extra charge???

Did you guys have to pay or do i have to inform them im having a problem with the nav or i want audio fadeout and maybe they will do it for free??

They might be ripping me off lol
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by sonosuke
I brought the car in for service A two weeks ago and dealership didnt perform an update. I called to get it and they told me its extra charge???

Did you guys have to pay or do i have to inform them im having a problem with the nav or i want audio fadeout and maybe they will do it for free??

They might be ripping me off lol

They might be ripping me off lol[/QUOTE]

I had an echo problem with the MM phone system and to fix it the Dealer had to do the update which included the Nav update. They did the update to repair the echo under the warranty so no charge.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM

It was free for me. I'd had the car 13 months when they performed the upgrade.

Check with another dealer. I know this procedure takes a long time to do. But I don't recall anyone on here saying that they had to pay for it!