C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking noise

I start the engine and the car starts to move...but I hear a clunking noise...what is that? it's just one clunking noise...just like a metal noise
Also when stopping at traffic light, I can feel a bit of vibration...down under
On a cold start, the vibration presents...is it normal...is that how it warms up?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:40 AM

mercedes c300
clunking noise

Is clunking noise is only at start up?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Hard to say as there are a lot of variables, but it sounds like it could be a motor mount issue. A few of us have experienced an engine "wobble" on cold starts. It seems like that particular issue goes away with a few thousand miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by C300Sport; 10-19-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Almost a Member!

I wouldn't be too worried about it. My C 300 4 MATIC has the same "clunk" noise the moment you start to drive the car after a cold-start. My car "wobbles" on a cold-start too. It sounds like the car has a loose exhaust or loose manifold. I was told that those noises are normal.

I notice that the engine performs a lot better, smoother and quieter after the car has been driven for a long distance. The engine in our cars need to be ran at an optimum temperature and engine speed. I accelerate "hard" sometimes all the way to 3500rpm at each gear change. The engine sounds a lot better and smoother after a few of those "hard" accelerations.

My suggestion is to ignore all those "unexplainable" noises and just enjoy the car. Also, lower your expectation beacase at the end of the day, a Mercedes is still a car. But is is one with safety, engineering, and prestige
Old 10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, what I feel is that on a cold start off - the first 2-3 shift of the transmission is "rough" - not a rough shift, but the car is holding the RPMs higher before that first 2-3 shift then it normally does, it must be some kind of internal self check its performing?

I do not have any abnormal vibration, other then the increased vibration associated with increased RPMs at cold start, and the car trying to get the emissions system warmed up as soon as possible. That's normal.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by nyca
Actually, what I feel is that on a cold start off - the first 2-3 shift of the transmission is "rough" - not a rough shift, but the car is holding the RPMs higher before that first 2-3 shift then it normally does, it must be some kind of internal self check its performing?

I do not have any abnormal vibration, other then the increased vibration associated with increased RPMs at cold start, and the car trying to get the emissions system warmed up as soon as possible. That's normal.
The emissions warmup can be a bit annoying but I am pretty sure you can manually shift it up the first time and it will shift as normal for the rest of the warm up period.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by johff
I wouldn't be too worried about it. My C 300 4 MATIC has the same "clunk" noise the moment you start to drive the car after a cold-start. My car "wobbles" on a cold-start too. It sounds like the car has a loose exhaust or loose manifold. I was told that those noises are normal.

I notice that the engine performs a lot better, smoother and quieter after the car has been driven for a long distance. The engine in our cars need to be ran at an optimum temperature and engine speed. I accelerate "hard" sometimes all the way to 3500rpm at each gear change. The engine sounds a lot better and smoother after a few of those "hard" accelerations.

My suggestion is to ignore all those "unexplainable" noises and just enjoy the car. Also, lower your expectation beacase at the end of the day, a Mercedes is still a car. But is is one with safety, engineering, and prestige
Yes it wobbles on a cold start and I hear a clunk noise as soon as the car moves (sounds like a metal noise). Yeah...I guess I have to ignore them...
I also noticed a rattling noise (you have to really listen to it) somewhere inside the front dash...it sounds like a noise from a piece of loose clock arrow or some sort