C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DIY: Rear-View Camera under $200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by num3erz
Any other suggestion for me to try?

Still can't get the video to show up.
What happens when you put the car into Reverse? Does the screen go black, with "Check Entire Surroundings" in the top corner?
Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Rickynoman
What happens when you put the car into Reverse? Does the screen go black, with "Check Entire Surroundings" in the top corner?
Yes when I put the car in reverse the screen goes black with "Check Entire Surroundings" message.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Yes when I put the car in reverse the screen goes black with "Check Entire Surroundings" message.
Ok - I had a similar problem when i first installed my camera.

I know that you mentioned that you tested the camera on a monitor, but this may not be a reliable test for the COMAND unit.

I think it may be an issue with the rca cable/adaptor.

First try to toggle the AUX vid to off (which it should be) in the engineering menu.

If that works, then voila. If not, I would suggest running a camera test like I did.

1) take an old USB cable for a iPhone or something, and cut it. Cut it so you have wire tails that you can connect to the camera power (the ones that you would use when you are splicing it into the fuse box) and then use this new USB cable connected to the camera and plug it into the 12v power supply using a cigarette/usb charger.

From here, if your wiring is right, the camera should be powered (as long as the outlet is powered).

Then, take the camera rca cable and plug it into the FAKRA adaptor. In my case I had a long RCA extension connecting the 2 so i could run the camera to the back and use the rear fuse box for power. I found out that the extension cable was faulty.

At this point, you should be able to find the problem. Since you said that the camera worked on a monitor, if you deduce that it still works on a secondary monitor (bring it into the car and run the camera off the cigarette charger) with the direct rca, and your new makeshift power supply, then you know it is either an issue with the rca extension, FAKRA or the COMAND options.

Id swap them out - starting with the extension, then the FAKRA. It's common for the FAKRA adaptors to be faulty.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 PM

C300 Sport 4matic
Ok - I had a similar problem when i first installed my camera.

I know that you mentioned that you tested the camera on a monitor, but this may not be a reliable test for the COMAND unit.

I think it may be an issue with the rca cable/adaptor.

First try to toggle the AUX vid to off (which it should be) in the engineering menu.

If that works, then voila. If not, I would suggest running a camera test like I did.

1) take an old USB cable for a iPhone or something, and cut it. Cut it so you have wire tails that you can connect to the camera power (the ones that you would use when you are splicing it into the fuse box) and then use this new USB cable connected to the camera and plug it into the 12v power supply using a cigarette/usb charger.

From here, if your wiring is right, the camera should be powered (as long as the outlet is powered).

Then, take the camera rca cable and plug it into the FAKRA adaptor. In my case I had a long RCA extension connecting the 2 so i could run the camera to the back and use the rear fuse box for power. I found out that the extension cable was faulty.

At this point, you should be able to find the problem. Since you said that the camera worked on a monitor, if you deduce that it still works on a secondary monitor (bring it into the car and run the camera off the cigarette charger) with the direct rca, and your new makeshift power supply, then you know it is either an issue with the rca extension, FAKRA or the COMAND options.

Id swap them out - starting with the extension, then the FAKRA. It's common for the FAKRA adaptors to be faulty.
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot later on this week. We just had a Blizzard over here in the DC area.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 S205 AMG
Any other suggestion for me to try?

Still can't get the video to show up.
Your problem seem just like the problem i had.

Tried to restart the comand????
Check PAL NTSC camera in Engineering menu???
Old 04-06-2016, 12:18 AM

2012 E350; 1986 560SL
I just had the same thing happen. I had the camera installed for a few weeks, no problems. This Monday morning camera worked fine. On the way home, stopped working. Back screen. I think the camera may have gotten burnt out since fuse #71 is cig-lighter and not rear light. I'm looking for a better solution to powering rear camera.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
I was trying to look for the thread where you can use the back up camera in place of the license plate light. But still have both lights (left and right) working. I believe you have to use the LED type lights??? Does anybody know which ones to use and where to get them?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
I have tried everything to get it to work - engineering menu on, COMAND menu on, switched out cameras, FAKRA'S, RCA'S, fuses, tried a reverse camera OBD II Activator - but reverse will just not trigger the damn screen!
I don't know what else to do..?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 AM

CLS500 M113
..anyone...please?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 AM

2012 C200 CGI AMG Sport,2011 SLK 200 Komprs R171 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser GXR, 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK
Originally Posted by ap10046
I have tried everything to get it to work - engineering menu on, COMAND menu on, switched out cameras, FAKRA'S, RCA'S, fuses, tried a reverse camera OBD II Activator - but reverse will just not trigger the damn screen!
I don't know what else to do..?
maybe it needs to have SCN code by the dealer

For me I went with command online and bought the original parts

Did the retro fit my self it was almost a straight forward after that I had to take my car to the dealer for the SCN code

I did enable the camera from the engineering menu as well asa had a black screen with check the surroundings I would recommend it better than playing with the fuse box

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/W204...amera-kit.html

this was the link i used to purchase
Old 04-18-2016, 03:38 AM

CLS500 M113
Thanks.
I think that's the only thing left to do to let stealer strip some money off of me. LOL.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
Hey All,

I purchased all the stuff mentioned in this thread (and all the others) to complete the DIY back up camera. I personally went with running the RCA to the back, and supplying power thru the trunk fuse panel (using cigarette fuse 71)

One of the things that I did today when installing was something that I haven't seen done on here yet, and just wanted to let you guys know that it works very well.

I mounted the camera IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK RELEASE button. No drilling or anything was required, and it is a great spot because it is dead centre in the middle of the car. Also, let's be honest... with the truck release on the fob, and also in the door sill, it's rare to use the actual trunk release. With that being said, with this set up, it is still completely functional, and isnt obstructed by the camera at all.

When fastening the camera/trunk release switch, i used double sided tape (seen in picture) as well as Duct Tape, and used a little gasket to prevent the wire from being crimped when you tighten the bolts.

Also, I suggest swapping the license plate lights for LED ones while you are doing this DIY -- the lights are great, and you are in the same place, and pulling out the trunk lining anyway...
Pulling up this old thread. Just got a 08 c350 with Command. Trying to wrap my head around this. What camera would be used? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2020, 03:20 PM

C63 AMG
Could someone please post the items I need to purchase to completed this camera install or confirm what I’ve researched below:

I’ve read so many conflicting threads!

I’m wanting to fit an aftermarket kit. With the Sony CCD camera.

Car is: C63 AMG with NTG4.5

So my questions are:

1) For a U.K. car do I need a PAL or NTSC camera

2) Do I need a RCA extension lead?

I would really appreciate it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112225624452

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233155725653

Do I need a RCA extension lead?

Last edited by E4RTH WORM JIM; 03-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
That's the camera I put in. I'm pretty sure I needed a lead, but it was years ago. Also you'll need a way to tap power and brake lights in the trunk. You can directly wire that or use one of those add a fuse extenders.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:35 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
That's the camera I put in. I'm pretty sure I needed a lead, but it was years ago. Also you'll need a way to tap power and brake lights in the trunk. You can directly wire that or use one of those add a fuse extenders.
brilliant, thanks

Just ordered one for the fuse 71 in trunk