C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Do you notice the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you notice the same?

These are what I noticed so far
- Temp gauge not in the middle (is this normal? )
- Clunking noise when I drive my C after starting the engine. This always happens...do you guys know what it is? It sounds like something is being activated/engaged...like the sound of AC motor engaging..or something...
- Steering...car does not go straight with no hands on the steering wheel
- wind noise (right rear door)...like the door is not fully closed but it is...I thought the door is not properly closed or window is open
- gap under the trunk...(edge of trunk & rear bumper)
- rattling noise...on and off
- vibration/wobbling after the engine starts (cold) and slight vibration at the traffic light/a complete stop (idle)

Please share your thoughts...
When should I bring the car to the dealer? mine is the 09 c300
The sales guy told me that the car doesn't need service until 10K

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM

2008 C300 Sport 6M
My temp gauge is a little above middle but I can't say I've had the other issues. What I have noticed (maybe due to cold weather) is that when I step off the clutch my dash around the steering wheel vibrates/creeks.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by comanche
- Temp gauge not in the middle (is this normal? ) between 80-100 is normal
- Clunking noise when I drive my C after starting the engine. This always happens...do you guys know what it is? It sounds like something is being activated/engaged...like the sound of AC motor engaging..or something...no
- Steering...car does not go straight with no hands on the steering wheelyou're wheel alignment is off
- wind noise (right rear door)...like the door is not fully closed but it is...I thought the door is not properly closed or window is openno
- gap under the trunk...(edge of trunk & rear bumper)no
- rattling noise...on and offno
- vibration/wobbling after the engine starts (cold) and slight vibration at the traffic light/a complete stop (idle)no

The sales guy told me that the car doesn't need service until 10K

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
- Temp gauge sounds like it is in the right place
- Not sure about the clunking-need more detail about exactly when it happens
- Steering may need alignment. Make sure the road you check it on is completely flat as most roads have a slight slope to the outside
- It is common to need to have the dealer adjust the weather stripping on the W204s
- have the dealer check the alignment of the trunk & bumper as there may be an issue
- Need more detail abou the rattle
- A lot of us have the "wobble" when we first start up from cold that tends to go away once warm. Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. Need more detail about the vibration.

Last edited by C300Sport; 11-03-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Normal operating temp is 85-90 degrees Centigrade.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
I can't comment on the W204 since I don't own one yet, but some of these things are not uncommon on other cars - see below

Originally Posted by comanche
- Temp gauge not in the middle (is this normal? )
- Clunking noise when I drive my C after starting the engine. This always happens...do you guys know what it is? It sounds like something is being activated/engaged...like the sound of AC motor engaging..or something... on a lot of cars the ABS system performs a check when reaching about 10 km/h after driving forward (not in reverse) from first start - probably normal but have the dealer check
- Steering...car does not go straight with no hands on the steering wheel often can be affected by wind and road surface - all roads have slight crown in the center to drain water to the curbs/gutter - this will make your car pull to the right on a 2 lane road (at least for us who drive on the right) - if it pulls to the left that is a problem and should be checked
- wind noise (right rear door)...like the door is not fully closed but it is...I thought the door is not properly closed or window is open have dealer check rubber door seals - could be a gap or mis-alignment in one
- gap under the trunk...(edge of trunk & rear bumper) trunk latch may need adjustment ---> dealer
- rattling noise...on and off - interior or exterior? - could be loose trim - have dealer tech. go with you on a test drive so he can hear it - simple correction to tighten screws or add foam tape between panels, etc.
- vibration/wobbling after the engine starts (cold) and slight vibration at the traffic light/a complete stop (idle) - does the "idle" vibration go away after the engine warms up? some engines run a bit rough until warm - could also be loose engine mounts ---> dealer

The sales guy told me that the car doesn't need service until 10KThese should all be warranty items and justify a dealer trip - you don't have to wait until first service unless you want to

Thanks