C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by RLE
For God's sake, how many times does this have to be explained?
Glad you said it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by cvkatigbak
hows your insurance man? why dont you claim it??
$250 deductible. Are you serious? You would make an insurance claim on something like a single dent of this size?? Doesn't it then increase your insurance rates as well in the long run for making a small claim even for something like this?

You must think they need to replace a part or something?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
sorry - I mean the crease looks kind of sharp and it is marginal whether with the paintless it will: a) pull out clean because too sharp crease can make it tough, with crease slightly showing and b) the paint might crack if crease was too sharp
I agree with your take... Thanks for making more clear... I feel the dent is pretty sharp on a THICK roof rail, so I dont think a little paintless dent tool would even be strong enough to pop it out...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
For God's sake, how many times does this have to be explained? If a hole was required which would have meant repainting the entire quarter panel, why would I have used the paintless guy? He will NEVER drill a hole in an exterior panel.

The dents are not "popped" out. Anybody who has used the service knows that. And forget the dry ice idea. If indeed it ever works, it won't work on a crease like this.

The first thing the dent guy does is set up a light reflector (a white panel) alongside the damaged panel so he can sight along it to gauge his progress. Then he gets out the tool he will start with. The tools look like very shallow elongated spoons with long thin handles. He very lightly begins to massage the back of the damage while tapping the front side with a flat-faced small hammer to prevent it from bulging beyond the surface. This could take ten minutes plus or minus. As the bottom of the crease/dent is nearly level, he taps lightly across the dent/crease while continuing to massage the backside until the surface is restored to pre-damage contours.

The next step is presenting the bill.
I feel the dent is pretty sharp and it is on a THICK STEEL roof rail, so I dont think a little paintless dent tool would even be strong enough to pop it out...

Would putty or bondo be the next step if paintless dent determines it is too thick of steel to work out?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Have a paintless guy look at your Dent and see if he can do it. I live in Texas where cars can get hail damage. They fix these kind of dents all the time. they will have to take down your headliner to access your panel. As far as using a drill, they may drill a hole somewhere in the inside of the car to access the panel and then place a plug that you will never see. If you take it to a body shop they will reshape the metal and refinish and paint your car!!! Try to avoid this.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Oh man, how the heck could that happened?I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully the dent can be fixed..
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by RLE
For God's sake, how many times does this have to be explained? If a hole was required which would have meant repainting the entire quarter panel, why would I have used the paintless guy? He will NEVER drill a hole in an exterior panel.

The dents are not "popped" out. Anybody who has used the service knows that. And forget the dry ice idea. If indeed it ever works, it won't work on a crease like this.

The first thing the dent guy does is set up a light reflector (a white panel) alongside the damaged panel so he can sight along it to gauge his progress. Then he gets out the tool he will start with. The tools look like very shallow elongated spoons with long thin handles. He very lightly begins to massage the back of the damage while tapping the front side with a flat-faced small hammer to prevent it from bulging beyond the surface. This could take ten minutes plus or minus. As the bottom of the crease/dent is nearly level, he taps lightly across the dent/crease while continuing to massage the backside until the surface is restored to pre-damage contours.

The next step is presenting the bill.
I felt the same way like 30 posts ago.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:15 PM

In the time it took this thread to propagate, you could have called a paintless dent removal guy and have them look at it. Repeating the same questions over and over again is basically wasting people's time. Asking these questions over and over again won't make your dent disappear.

It's a big crease and I'm almost sure that the dent guy will say they will try do it but there are no guarantees. Might as well have them try it and if it doesn't work, you could get it done at a bodyshop. Those are the two repair options anyway.

Look, these guys usually charge $80 a ding, just have them do it. You spent $35k+ on it, why are you bickering about $80?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by imboom
In the time it took this thread to propagate, you could have called a paintless dent removal guy and have them look at it. Repeating the same questions over and over again is basically wasting people's time. Asking these questions over and over again won't make your dent disappear.

It's a big crease and I'm almost sure that the dent guy will say they will try do it but there are no guarantees. Might as well have them try it and if it doesn't work, you could get it done at a bodyshop. Those are the two repair options anyway.

Look, these guys usually charge $80 a ding, just have them do it. You spent $35k+ on it, why are you bickering about $80?
never did i say anything about being upset over a small amount like $80

sorry to ask so many questions, its just there were like 5 different opinions revolving around this thread and many were missing details/explanation

Last edited by rb23lb; 09-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 PM

C300 4matic
sorry to hear dude, I totally feel your pain, I had a nice door ding on my car door months ago and got it taken out by a PDR professional but since the metal was creased, the guy did his best and it is barely noticeable.

So I recommend you get a PDR guy to look at it, and go from there...

Yes sh*t happens, I just tell myself ppl are jealous coz they can't afford an MB to make me feel better...i guess...lol

good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks man
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
what an ugly little dent. I would try scotch, about 3 glasses.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Peabody
what an ugly little dent. I would try scotch, about 3 glasses.
that might just lead to more dents
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
it's been what? 9+ months now? Did you get this fixed?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by e1000
it's been what? 9+ months now? Did you get this fixed?
My thought too.
But it does not appear so.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kickR
My thought too.
But it does not appear so.
well, i got denied by three different PDR guys I sent pictures to, so after that I gave up... they all basically said this, "That dent is not a fixable dent due to it's location"

i was about to let the guys who were fixing my trunk lid do it but they wanted $350 for it at the body shop so i said i will wait on it for now and look for other alternatives in the mean time... the body shop wanted to use a puller that welds on to the crease, pull it out, then refinish the area/repaint

looks like that may be the only route since it is PDR impossible,probably can find someone to do it cheaper than $350 tho...