C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Angry DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?

So I walk out to my car today coming out of a store and I notice this crazy placed dent right on the driver's side roof pillar, right inbetween the front and rear doors!!!

I am pretty pissed, as this is my first significant visible dent, and was wondering if I can even get it repaired or if I have to use some Bondo Putty and repaint it or something...

Since it is in the pillar, I am not sure if they can pop it back out or whatever those PAINTLESS DENT REMOVAL guys do... There is no damage to the paint luckily though...

Anybody have any experience with dents in the pillars and the recommended course fo action?? I would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions, as right now, I have no clue where to go first since it is in such a random weird spot that is part of the structural roof support...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! (see pics of dent for a better idea).

-Ryan

Attached Thumbnails DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?-dsc01957.jpg   DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?-dsc01958.jpg   DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?-dsc01959.jpg   DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?-dsc01960.jpg  

Last edited by rb23lb; 11-30-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
pretty sure a paintless dent removal guy can get that out. Might have to drill a small hole to get to it though.

S*** happens.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by e1000
pretty sure a paintless dent removal guy can get that out. Might have to drill a small hole to get to it though.

S*** happens.
drill a hole? hmmm, then I assume it is no longer "paintless"?

Does the paintless dent guy normally have the capability to resurface and finish the spot after they drill the hole?

Or Do I have to take to a body shop for paint after "paintless" dent removal is finished ?

What is the total estimate to get this type of dent fixed, do you estimate?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by e1000

S*** happens.
Now that wouldn't make it "paintless" dent removal, would it? Drilling a hole = painting required.

rb23lb - Sorry that happened - I feel your pain. Careless idiots in parking lots!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Angry

Originally Posted by flagman
Now that wouldn't make it "paintless" dent removal, would it? Drilling a hole = painting required.

rb23lb - Sorry that happened - I feel your pain. Careless idiots in parking lots!
so you think the only way to get this guy out would be to drill it???

DRILL just sounds scary on my precious ride...

I wonder how the hell you dent a car on a roof pillar anyway...

it seems like someone specifically took a hammer and took a quick wack or something...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Paintless

Originally Posted by rb23lb
drill a hole? hmmm, then I assume it is no longer "paintless"?

Does the paintless dent guy normally have the capability to resurface and finish the spot after they drill the hole?

Or Do I have to take to a body shop for paint after "paintless" dent removal is finished ?

What is the total estimate to get this type of dent fixed, do you estimate?
Since I have used the services of the local Dent Wizard several times, I will say that if the back of the panel can be accessed, the crease can be removed. Pull the door gasket down in that area and see if the headliner can be pulled down enough to get his tools in there.

The only place they drill holes is in the ends of the doors after which a plug is installed.

Prices vary but generally there is a price per panel. That crease, if he can get to it, wil probably cost about $100.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by RLE
Since I have used the services of the local Dent Wizard several times, I will say that if the back of the panel can be accessed, the crease can be removed. Pull the door gasket down in that area and see if the headliner can be pulled down enough to get his tools in there.

The only place they drill holes is in the ends of the doors after which a plug is installed.

Prices vary but generally there is a price per panel. That crease, if he can get to it, wil probably cost about $100.
what he said. It's pretty amazing what they can do too. I've got a keen eye for detail and they made a ding on my driver's side door literally disappear like it never happened.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE

thanks RLE for the advice...

if i find i cant access the dent from removing the headliner, then they have to drill a hole and put in a plug?

after they put in the "plug", does it need to be painted? what does this paintless dent removal plug look like or what is it made of?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time

if i find i cant access the dent from removing the headliner, then they have to drill a hole and put in a plug?

after they put in the "plug", does it need to be painted? what does this paintless dent removal plug look like or what is it made of?
If they need to, they drill a small hole to access the body panel. They drill in a spot that's normally hidden or covered so you won't need to paint it over.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Give dry ice a try, I had a small ding similar to that and it worked. It took a while but it did work.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Sorry, I'm sure the paint less dent remove guys can fix it
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Give dry ice a try, I had a small ding similar to that and it worked. It took a while but it did work.
you think dry ice would hold strong enough to pull a dent out of the roof pillar?

Was your dent on the door panel or on a pillar like mine?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Door panel but looks like it was the same size. Around here a 1/8th block of dry ice costs 10.00 it's worth a shot. But don't expect it to POP like on youtube. I preheated the spot with a blowdrier then put the ice on. Very slowly it came out.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Paintless dent removal. I have been using them for years. My girlfriend's brother also owns such a business. He has some pretty amazing little tools. I've seen him remove dents that looked impossible to fix.

There should be a way to access that dent from behind. They may even be able to get to it by removing the black rail or throught the roof rack slot.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Door panel but looks like it was the same size. Around here a 1/8th block of dry ice costs 10.00 it's worth a shot. But don't expect it to POP like on youtube. I preheated the spot with a blowdrier then put the ice on. Very slowly it came out.
so darth, did the dry ice stick to the metal, and then you just clamp on the dry ice with something and pull outward?

That might be kind of difficult on a non door panel area with thick structural steel...

Or did you just leave the dry ice on there and it just pops out on its own?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just held it in place for a couple of minutes each time.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drill a hole?

Absolutely not. If they can't repair it they will tell you so. There is no way in hell they would drill a hole in a painted exterior panel and put in a plug.

As a matter of fact, in my area the paintless guys come around to the dealers on a regular basis to take dings out of trade-ins. Ask your dealer's used car manager when the repair guy will be there. DO NOT let a service advisor write up a dealer work order unless you want to pay double, but deal directly with the dent guy.

I had a crease just like yours on the upper curve of a rear quarter panel on a previous MB which was invisible after the fix.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Originally Posted by RLE

I had a crease just like yours on the upper curve of a rear quarter panel on a previous MB which was invisible after the fix.
so they were able to access it and pop itout or did they use dry ice?

no holes drilled when your rear quarter panel dent got fixed?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
so they were able to access it and pop itout or did they use dry ice?

no holes drilled when your rear quarter panel dent got fixed?
Dry ice is not going to remove that dent. You need to call a paintless dent removal person. Many will come right to your house or place of business. See if it is able to be fixed using that method. They can tell you immediately. As RLE stated, they DO NOT drill holes in exterior panels. I have never seen them drill holes in any panels.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM

'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
I've see the paintless / DentWizard use hot glue sticks to attach a tool to the skin and get it out that way - on both A pillars, roof rails and other inaccessible areas.

Than they just twist / lever to break the adhesion and fixed - takes 5 min

Your dent has a marginal crease so paintshop might be the only way.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whiteongrey
I've see the paintless / DentWizard use hot glue sticks to attach a tool to the skin and get it out that way - on both A pillars, roof rails and other inaccessible areas.

Than they just twist / lever to break the adhesion and fixed - takes 5 min

Your dent has a marginal crease so paintshop might be the only way.
if by marginal, you mean slight, or easy to fix.... why would I need a trip to a paint shop?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm losing patience

so they were able to access it and pop it out or did they use dry ice? No holes drilled when your rear quarter panel dent got fixed?
For God's sake, how many times does this have to be explained? If a hole was required which would have meant repainting the entire quarter panel, why would I have used the paintless guy? He will NEVER drill a hole in an exterior panel.

The dents are not "popped" out. Anybody who has used the service knows that. And forget the dry ice idea. If indeed it ever works, it won't work on a crease like this.

The first thing the dent guy does is set up a light reflector (a white panel) alongside the damaged panel so he can sight along it to gauge his progress. Then he gets out the tool he will start with. The tools look like very shallow elongated spoons with long thin handles. He very lightly begins to massage the back of the damage while tapping the front side with a flat-faced small hammer to prevent it from bulging beyond the surface. This could take ten minutes plus or minus. As the bottom of the crease/dent is nearly level, he taps lightly across the dent/crease while continuing to massage the backside until the surface is restored to pre-damage contours.

The next step is presenting the bill.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by RLE
For God's sake, how many times does this have to be explained? If a hole was required which would have meant repainting the entire quarter panel, why would I have used the paintless guy? He will NEVER drill a hole in an exterior panel.

The dents are not "popped" out. Anybody who has used the service knows that. And forget the dry ice idea. If indeed it ever works, it won't work on a crease like this.

The first thing the dent guy does is set up a light reflector (a white panel) alongside the damaged panel so he can sight along it to gauge his progress. Then he gets out the tool he will start with. The tools look like very shallow elongated spoons with long thin handles. He very lightly begins to massage the back of the damage while tapping the front side with a flat-faced small hammer to prevent it from bulging beyond the surface. This could take ten minutes plus or minus. As the bottom of the crease/dent is nearly level, he taps lightly across the dent/crease while continuing to massage the backside until the surface is restored to pre-damage contours.

The next step is presenting the bill.

maybe caps lock will explain it better next time lol

im gonna give paintless dent remocal a try next spring, i got 2 i need taken care of.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 PM

'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
if by marginal, you mean slight, or easy to fix.... why would I need a trip to a paint shop?
sorry - I mean the crease looks kind of sharp and it is marginal whether with the paintless it will: a) pull out clean because too sharp crease can make it tough, with crease slightly showing and b) the paint might crack if crease was too sharp
Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 AM

C300 MT, 350Z
hows your insurance man? why dont you claim it??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DINGED ROOF PILLAR!! (PICS) How the heck does this happen? Any repair suggestions?