C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fog Light Not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 c300
Fog Light Not functioning properly

When I turn on my regular headlights (set to A).. For a minute my fog lights stay off and my headlights are the only ones on, but then after a brief minute one of my fog lights automatically turn on while the other stays off. Has this happened to anyone?
The only time I get both of the fog lights to work is when I turn them on by pulling the switch.
I hope this makes some sense..
I am thinking of having it checked but If it isn't a big problem I can try to fix it.
What should I do?

Last edited by mdniteangel; 12-04-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:06 PM

08-C350 black/black
thats the cornering foglights...they turn on individually when turning left or right and when the signal light is switched on...it does look like one of the bulbs is burnt out...i dont think theres a fix for it unless you leave the foglights on all the time....
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Above post sounds right.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM

'09 c300
I never tried using them but I remember I had a problem before when I signaled sometimes the signal would stay jammed and i would have to keep pushing the signal stick for it to turn off or sometimes I would even be forced to make a right or left for the signal to actually turn off. Is this linked to why one of my fog light isn't functioning correctly?
Yeah lately I just turn them both on so it wont look funny
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM

'09 c300
I have these two problems but it doesn't occur all the time.. It does this at random times do you mb service they will be able to find the problem if they test it? Im thinking with my luck it would appear to be normal but it actually messes up..
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 AM

2009 C350W on EDP
Fog Lights Only in Manual Mode....

Originally Posted by mdniteangel
When I turn on my regular headlights (set to A).. For a minute my fog lights stay off and my headlights are the only ones on, but then after a brief minute one of my fog lights automatically turn on while the other stays off. Has this happened to anyone?
The only time I get both of the fog lights to work is when I turn them on by pulling the switch.
I hope this makes some sense..
I am thinking of having it checked but If it isn't a big problem I can try to fix it.
What should I do?
As I recall, the owner's manual explains that the pull-out for front and rear fog light activation is only possible when the light selector knob is first rotated manually to the headlight on position. Once this position is selected the knob interlock is released and the knob can be pulled/clicked out for fog light activation. In the A (auto) mode the lights knob should not be able to be pulled out.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by TRauppius
As I recall, the owner's manual explains that the pull-out for front and rear fog light activation is only possible when the light selector knob is first rotated manually to the headlight on position. Once this position is selected the knob interlock is released and the knob can be pulled/clicked out for fog light activation. In the A (auto) mode the lights knob should not be able to be pulled out.
As the other posts stated, this sounds like the normal opperation of the cornering foglights.

The fog lights will turn on (one at a time) when you put on your turning signals or when you turn the steering wheel at low speed. It seems random but it is not.

If you still want to rule out the possiblity of actually having a defective fog light, then stop by the dealer, but you will most likely get the same answer.

Now, the turn signal not returning when you turn is a totally different issue and you should have it checked by the dealer.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Jammed???

Originally Posted by mdniteangel
I never tried using them but I remember I had a problem before when I signaled sometimes the signal would stay jammed and i would have to keep pushing the signal stick for it to turn off or sometimes I would even be forced to make a right or left for the signal to actually turn off. Is this linked to why one of my fog light isn't functioning correctly?
Yeah lately I just turn them both on so it wont look funny
First of all, I think you need to improve your powers of description. Your term 'jammed" is pretty useless but I finally figured out what you may be trying to describe. You do know, don't you, that just depressing (or lifting) the lever without locking it causes the signals to flash three times and once this sequence starts, you cannot stop it. MB calls this a lane change signal but for me three flashes is nowhere near enough.

The fog light thing has already been described thoroughly so I won't go into it. I don't like it either but it cannot be disabled, according to my MB Service Manager so we have to live with it.

What I have found necessary when bringing the car in for a problem or service is to describe the problem in plain adult english and ask how they will repair it. Leave nothing to chance and in fact presenting a written list of the car's needs is best of all. A second copy left in the car for the tech helps because the service writers often will fail to fully describe the problem leaving the tech uninformed.

When the Service writer realizes that you are not the usual uninformed demanding customer, I guarantee you that things will improve. You are entitled to it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM

'09 c300
Originally Posted by RLE
First of all, I think you need to improve your powers of description. Your term 'jammed" is pretty useless but I finally figured out what you may be trying to describe. You do know, don't you, that just depressing (or lifting) the lever without locking it causes the signals to flash three times and once this sequence starts, you cannot stop it. MB calls this a lane change signal but for me three flashes is nowhere near enough.
Plain English? No need to be rude, I was asking for advice and I was also in a hurry. I went in today, They told me the same thing [ what I quoted above] I know my car does that, I had the signals repaired today so it was a problem. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM

'09 c300
Originally Posted by Bokx_350
As the other posts stated, this sounds like the normal opperation of the cornering foglights.

The fog lights will turn on (one at a time) when you put on your turning signals or when you turn the steering wheel at low speed. It seems random but it is not.

If you still want to rule out the possiblity of actually having a defective fog light, then stop by the dealer, but you will most likely get the same answer.

Now, the turn signal not returning when you turn is a totally different issue and you should have it checked by the dealer.

Thank You Bokx. :-)
This is why I wanted to ask here before I made any assumptions that the fogs do not work.

The turn signal was a different issue and is repaired now. =-)

Last edited by mdniteangel; 12-05-2008 at 05:43 PM.