MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/276269-diy-oil-change-step-step-pictures.html)

aprince2die4 08-01-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by IGB (Post 4777397)
I'm glad it helped :y

And rightback at you :bow:

Did you have to empty the oil in the mityvac half way through the process or did it hold all 8.5 quarts?

IGB 08-01-2011 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by aprince2die4 (Post 4777413)
Did you have to empty the oil in the mityvac half way through the process or did it hold all 8.5 quarts?

Actually, yes I did. According to the instructions, it is supposed to shut off on its own once the oil reaches a certain level in it. But rather than wait until it got too full, and since I had assumed that the dealer over filled it by a bit over 8.5 qts, I opted to pour some oil into a separate container and then continued.

Had to do that anyway before transporting the used oil to AutoZone.

IGB 09-17-2011 10:52 PM

Mobil is offering a mail-in-rebate for purchases of Mobil-1 oil at participating retailers listed on their website: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...011_Rules.aspx

Alternatively, Autozone has an instant $10 coupon for every 5 quarts you buy from them: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...t_AutoZone.pdf

bananacrrazy 09-19-2011 01:23 AM

nice advice guy,, think to do by my self http://godimage.co.cc/thumb/base/ima...34/b/happy.gif

Zonica 10-20-2011 10:21 PM

I'm doing the first oil change on my wife's 2009 c300 sport (not the first oil change, just the first one I'm doing myself), and I bought a mityvac to hopefully make the job a little less messy/easier. Do I need any adapters or anything special to put the tube down the dipstick? Seems like I saw another post where someone was using a dipstick adapter.

My other question is what else will I need other than the oil and filter? I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered since I still have a few days to gather parts/supplies.

Thanks!

IGB 10-20-2011 11:39 PM

You don't say which MityVac you have, (I have the 7201), and I used one of the rubber adapters that came with the unit

Other members purchased a metal adapter from some retaier ti believe its www.fluidevacuators.com.

And by theay, you don't have to stick the tube into the entire length of the dipstick tube. In fact, with the way I did it, the tube from the Vac went into the wide end of the rubber adapter, but it was not sticking out of the other side. So in reality, its actually sucking the oil to the top of the dipstick tube, through the adapter, then the tube, and into the MityVac.

I have found the MityVac to be a bit more time consuming than the traditional drain at the bottom process, and you'll have to pump it a few times to get all the oil out.... but all in all, it is cleaner, less hassle than lifting the car and slidng under, getting burned by that first gush of oil... Black fingernails...

You should browse through the entire thread. Yeah its long and sure the few a few posts you can skip over but in general, I found it useful.

kevink2 10-21-2011 12:06 AM

^ +1

Zonica 10-21-2011 09:29 AM

IGB: It is the 7201. So basically I don't need the adapter from fluidevacuators...I can just push the rubber coupling that is supplied with the mityvac into the top of the dipstick tube, and it will form a good enough seal to suck the oil out the top of the dipstick. That's pretty dang cool if you ask me! I am stoked about using this mityvac! oil changes are not difficult, just always seem to be messy. No matter how hard I try, I always spill oil somewhere or get it on my clothes, or drip it on the motor somewhere. :smash:

IYE Does the dipstick reach far enough into the oil pan to get all of the oil, or would it be a good idea to add the extra bit of small tubing to get everything?

will read through the rest of the thread now. :)

MBNA109 10-21-2011 12:27 PM

My only advice to get the oil out quicker for MityVac users are:

1) Make sure you open up the engine oil fill cap - air promotes better flow
2) Makes sure where the 'suck' tubes enter the MityVac bin - that there is a tight seal
** sometimes because of gravity, it bends the tubes a bit away from the inlet thus loosening the seal there & causing no suckage.

BauerR 10-21-2011 02:05 PM

Anyone using the 7300 Pneumatic Mityvac?

kevink2 10-21-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zonica (Post 4883726)
... Does the dipstick reach far enough into the oil pan to get all of the oil, or would it be a good idea to add the extra bit of small tubing to get everything?

Yes, it reaches fully down. Sucking from the top of the tube is exactly how oil changes have been done by mercedes for over a decade, as I recall. The aluminum adaptor is a typical MB shop part, for repetitive useage. IGB's rubber bushing from the Mytivac kit is the functionally the same thing ( .... I had posted same concept a while back).

You don't want to add the engine side plastic tubing, and absolutely not if you have a 4MATIC, as you will leave a quart or two behind.

------------------

BTW: *** All Members, please click on User CP at the top left of page, just below the thread title. Then add the following to either Profile and/or Signature , selecting buttons on the left side of that page: year, model, 4MATIC or RWD, and Location (city, state, and non-US/Canada country if needed. This helps response to issues, like tires. ***

MBNA109 10-21-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 4884155)

You don't want to add the engine side plastic tubing, and absolutely not if you have a 4MATIC, as you will leave a quart or two behind.

Not sure what context this is in, but I usually connect 2 tubes to my MityVac to evac my oil from my '09 C300.
& am able to get ~8.5 qts out.

Should I not expect the same process with my new GLK350/4?

kevink2 10-21-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MBNA109 (Post 4884272)
Not sure what context this is in, but I usually connect 2 tubes to my MityVac to evac my oil from my '09 C300.
& am able to get ~8.5 qts out.

Was it a 4matic? see my BTW about 3 posts up!

Should I not expect the same process with my new GLK350/4?
Likely not. Best to use the MB method, suck from top. You've got 2 proven methods for rwd and 4matic, recently described.

Zonica 10-22-2011 02:38 PM

Ok, just got done with the oil change. Turned out to be more of a hassle than I thought. I really thought the mityvac was going to make it simple and clean. It could have...if I had of been better prepared.

Apparently the mercedes dealership way overfilled the oil. I mean, when I checked it I knew it read over the max, but I had no idea how much till today.

I used the method of pushing the rubber coupling into the dipstick and evac'ing the oil straight out the dipstick. It pulled out just a hair over 8L of oil before it started gurgling and sputtering. I pumped it up some more but it was basically sucking air.

After that happened curiosity got me and so I added the smaller piece of tubing to the coupling and pushed it down till I could feel/hear it hit the bottom of the oilpan. Then I pumped up the mityvac again and it started sucking oil again. Shortly after that oil filled up the whole mityvac so I had to stop and dispense some of the used oil into a gallon milk jug before I could continue.

All said and done I ended up with 6 full quarts of oil plus almost a full gallon jug. If my calculations are correct that's almost 10 quarts of oil?

8 of which I was able to pull out using the dealerships method of pulling from top of dipstick. The remaining oil came out via pusing the tube to bottom.

My best guess is that the dealership left roughly a half quart of oil in using their method of evacuating, and then added back in 8.5qts of new oil.

Pete7874 10-22-2011 02:52 PM

10 quarts of oil? Oh wow? Were you getting the "check oil level" message in the instrument cluster at any time?

On a related now, wife just came back from a Service B. Again, the oil looks to be over the "max" on the dipstick. They charged her for 9 quarts of M1, even though the car only takes 7.4 qt. I might have to suck some out if she starts getting the dread "check oil level" message again. Ugh...

Zonica 10-22-2011 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No check oil or other lights that I saw while driving. Course it's my wife's car so no idea if it ever popped up while she was driving. She's very observant so I think she would have seen it and mentioned it.

Attachment 380916

milk jug is a little less full than i thought but it has got to have at least 3.5qts if the jug holds 4 total.

kevink2 10-22-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zonica (Post 4885180)
I used the method of pushing the rubber coupling into the dipstick and evac'ing the oil straight out the dipstick. It pulled out just a hair over 8L of oil before it started gurgling and sputtering..

Are you positive it was not pulling air from the rubber bushing ID or OD sealing zones? That seal is not needed once you added the lower tubing.

After that happened curiosity got me and so I added the smaller piece of tubing to the coupling and pushed it down till I could feel/hear it hit the bottom of the oilpan ........ that's almost 10 quarts of oil ... 8 of which I was able to pull out using the dealerships method of pulling from top of dipstick. The remaining oil came out via pusing the tube to bottom.
Do you have a 4MATIC ? With RWD, plastic tube can be inserted to the bottom of pan. However, based on other's experiences, it seems unusual to leave 2 quarts in the engine with a true dealer evac, using the positive sealed aluminum adaptor with o-rings.

Zonica 10-22-2011 09:34 PM

It's certainly plausible, but I think it would be a coincidence that it lost the seal (after holding a tight seal the for the 8L prior) right near the point most people would think to be all of the oil in the motor. It seems like I read where someone else found there to be at least 1/2L of oil in the motor after evac'ing via the top of dipstick.

It isn't a 4matic.

MBNA109 10-22-2011 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 4884304)
Was it a 4matic? see my BTW about 3 posts up!

No - my C300 is not 4Matic. And the 2 connected MityVac supllied tubes suck out ~8.5 qts.

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 4884304)
Likely not. Best to use the MB method, suck from top. You've got 2 proven methods for rwd and 4matic, recently described.

Kevink2, do you have a post you can reference for the 4Matic please. I am having a hard time visualizing this adapter method for the 4matics.

MBNA109 10-22-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zonica (Post 4885180)
Ok, just got done with the oil change. Turned out to be more of a hassle than I thought. I really thought the mityvac was going to make it simple and clean. It could have...if I had of been better prepared.

Apparently the mercedes dealership way overfilled the oil. I mean, when I checked it I knew it read over the max, but I had no idea how much till today.

I used the method of pushing the rubber coupling into the dipstick and evac'ing the oil straight out the dipstick. It pulled out just a hair over 8L of oil before it started gurgling and sputtering. I pumped it up some more but it was basically sucking air.

After that happened curiosity got me and so I added the smaller piece of tubing to the coupling and pushed it down till I could feel/hear it hit the bottom of the oilpan. Then I pumped up the mityvac again and it started sucking oil again. Shortly after that oil filled up the whole mityvac so I had to stop and dispense some of the used oil into a gallon milk jug before I could continue.

All said and done I ended up with 6 full quarts of oil plus almost a full gallon jug. If my calculations are correct that's almost 10 quarts of oil?

8 of which I was able to pull out using the dealerships method of pulling from top of dipstick. The remaining oil came out via pusing the tube to bottom.

My best guess is that the dealership left roughly a half quart of oil in using their method of evacuating, and then added back in 8.5qts of new oil.

Yeah - this is why I always use 2 MityVac tubes connected to each other to get down to the bottom of the pan of my C300.
2 oil changes in 2 years tells me I am getting 8.5 qts out each time.

Zonica 10-23-2011 05:50 AM

Well I oughta know something was going to go awry. :( Wife gets up to go to work and cranks the car and it's making a chirping sound. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor but I didn't let her keep it running for long enough to be sure. Freaked me out a little. Oil level is fine, but I don't want her driving it anywhere without knowing for sure where the sound is coming from.

The only thing I think it could be is that I sprayed some armorall on the plastic engine cover and maybe I got some on the belt? I hope that's it.

kevink2 10-23-2011 10:50 AM

MB oil chg adaptor, a must for 4MATIC

Originally Posted by MBNA109 (Post 4885522)
...Kevink2, do you have a post you can reference for the 4Matic please. I am having a hard time visualizing this adapter method for the 4matics.

Why Adaptor is needed for 4MATIC

Adaptor pic, 1st description of AGB Method with rubber bushing at top

oil-change, dealer-method

More Adaptor and Mytivac details

Adaptor still available, how to order

from a C300 parts catalog:
Dipstick:
----- W/4-matic
----- W/o 4-matic

It's also common knowledge now (thanks to others, not me) that the
4-MATICS take 7.5Q's, while the RWD's take 8.5Q's . Dealers still overfill 4MATICS !

MBNA109 10-23-2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 4885980)
Why Adaptor is needed for 4MATIC

Adaptor pic, 1st description of AGB Method with rubber bushing at top

oil-change, dealer-method

More Adaptor and Mytivac details

Adaptor still available, how to order

from a C300 parts catalog:
Dipstick:
----- W/4-matic
----- W/o 4-matic

It's also common knowledge now (thanks to others, not me) that the
4-MATICS take 7.5Q's, while the RWD's take 8.5Q's . Dealers still overfill 4MATICS !

Thank you!!

kevink2 10-24-2011 09:26 AM

over fill NG

Originally Posted by Pete7874 (Post 4885192)
On a related now, wife just came back from a Service B. Again, the oil looks to be over the "max" on the dipstick. They charged her for 9 quarts of M1, even though the car only takes 7.4 qt. I might have to suck some out if she starts getting the dread "check oil level" message again. Ugh...

Level should be at cross hatch marking. High level may allow contact with the crank counter wts, especially at non-level car conditions, and aerating the oil. Not good.

When HOT, suck one to 1.5 out, & check dipstick, not dash.

Pete7874 10-24-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 4887191)
Level should be at cross hatch marking. High level may allow contact with the crank counter wts, especially at non-level car conditions, and aerating the oil. Not good.

When HOT, suck one to 1.5 out, & check dipstick, not dash.

Yeah, I already sucked some out, but it's still over max. I'll have to take out some more.